Project: Sphere

I've been holding off making a thread in here till i at least started buying the parts for this mod, but since i just put in a $700 order from newegg for more than half of my key computer components, i think i can start this now.

Basically it's always been a fantasy of mine to work 'outside the (metal) box', so to speak, and build a computer within a sphere, a shape i believe to be most beautiful in the geometric world (aside from buckey balls, of course :-D). I've entertained this idea in my head for years, and have only recently been able to seek the help of this forum to find the materials i need for this project, as mainly shown in this thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=926579

Here's one of my earlier designs i made maybe a year ago on how i would make this. Most of the speculation was that i would take a large block of aluminum and carve out the shapes i needed (as seen by the large ridges of metal surrounding the outer shell). It turns out that would probably not only be much more costly, but very wasteful as well.
http://www.myfilebin.com/userfiles/everfalling/other/case design.gif

This early design takes the usual airflow of normal tower computers by having the intake at the front, and ejecting it out the back. the design called for the HDD's to be placed in the direct path of hte airflow, as to better cool them and them up and past the CPU. Unfortunatly, this was a very bad design, because i basically eyeballed the reletive sizes of the parts, and placed them wherever i could within whatever size sphere i could make around them. this was very 2D of me, not taking into account the large amount of space not being used on either side in the hemispheres of the case. if i were to make this, the sphere would prolly be almost 2 feet in diameter, possibly even larger. Back to the drawing board.

This is a more recent update of my sphere design, keeping in mind the actual sizes of the parts (i measured my own parts to the nearest 1/2 inch.) and the fact that it would be more efficient to take advantage of hot airs natrual path upwards, and do away with making the air flow sideways at all, except when it's blocked by things like the PCI cards (shown by the hole at the bottom of the case, and the ventilation shaft at hte top to suck out the air through the back). This also took better advantage of the space in the hemispheres, by puting the HDD's on the left side, and the PSU on the right. granted this will prolly create a few wiring issues, but i'll deal with those later. Both designs utilize a back hatchway for the cables, so that the case can remain as sphereical as possiblem while allowing the motherbaord to rest natrually against a flat surface with a flat faceplate. There was even enough space to insert a thin slot-loading DVD drive that would allow me to avoid dealing with any more cutting for some kind of hidden faceplate mod, and simply cut a small slit into the shell. What's not shown here is a water cooling system i was thinking of putting in, because a heatsink+fan set up would take up too much room sticking out than a simple cooling plate would. granted the pimp, radiator and resivior would take up some room too, but those can be put most likely on the PSU side of the sphere. it's still in planning for the moment until i finish the main body of work.

http://www.myfilebin.com/userfiles/everfalling/other/case%20design%202b.png

This is my current RD of the outer shell design. The sphere will be painted black with mirror finish, and sport small slit-like windows on the sides, looking inward to a red cold cathode lit interior. This design shows the front of the case, with a possibilty of 2 slot-loading drives and a 5" TFT LCD screen that will be hidden until needed (if i have the money, that is...). It also has a small square panle right below the LCD screen that will be where i'll install this biometric fngerprint scanner i bought that automatically fills in your passwords. i thought if i was gonna go hightech on this, i might as well add another bell/whistle :).

http://www.myfilebin.com/userfiles/everfalling/other/case%20design%20outer%20shell.png

That's my design so far. As i said before, i've ordered most of the main computer hardware that's going to go into this. having a $750 checking card limit, along with only a grand to work with in my account, i'm going to have to work a little and save up till i buy any more things. I'm working at Fry's on moday, so by the time i get my paycheck i'll have enough money to buy the rest of what i need (maybe).

Until then, here's the list of parts i need to run the computer, along with the parts that will be part of the mod itself. Enjoy, and discuss. at this point, any and all design critiwue can be put into effect if i think it'll help.

Essentials:
-ASUS P5LD2 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail **
-intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor Model BX80551PG2800FN - Retail **
-CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X1024-5400C4 - Retail **
-Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail **
-BFG Tech BFGR78256GTXOC Video Card - Retail**
-Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM (new C drive)**
-ViewSonic VP191B Black 19" 8ms (gray-to-gray); 20ms (black-white-black, typ) LCD Monitor - Retail

Mod items:
-20 Inch Stainless Steel Gazing Ball*
-Pioneer DVR-K05 Slim 8X Dual Layer DVD Drive (186-133)
-G2G Gear 5-Inch 960 x 234 TFT Display with RCA Input - Portable LCD Display

*=Ordered
**=Recieved

Oh dont worry, I'm doing it. i just need Fry's to get their act together and get me working so i can save up for parts. it's been 4 weeks and they're still fumbling around with when i'm supposed to work... but...yeah...that's something else completely...

Won't a dual core pentium d make tons of heat? How will you deal with the heat?

Interesting. I bet mounting a dvd drive on a sphere is fun. :)

Silversierra said:
Won't a dual core pentium d make tons of heat? How will you deal with the heat?

Interesting. I bet mounting a dvd drive on a sphere is fun. :)

like i said, i was thinking water cooling, considering if i went with a heatsink+fan deal it'd prolly have to be honking big and it would take up to much space. so i was thinking water cooling, and i'd put the radiators in the exhaust shaft, so as the warm air from inside the case exited, it'd pass through the radiator, cooling that down.

actually, since the dvd drives are going to be slot loading, i dont have to worry about trays. i just gonna mount them as close to the shell as i can, and cut a slot for the CD to go into.

Xeese said:
Stand ideas - check out some garden sites for what they use for gazing balls.

fiberglass spheres in multiple sizes - http://www.tanawiremarker.com/

interesting idea, but the thing is, i'm going to be mounting a lot of metal on this case, and it'll be hard to attach metal bars for supportto plastic unless i use bolts or something, and i want the outside to be near seemless. Having a metal shell would allow me to make nice clean regular welds or spot welds to attach the innter supports and frame. So, if you can find me a 20" metal sphere for under 200 bucks, i'll be a very happy person :-D

Everfalling said:
-20 Inch Stainless Steel Gazing Ball

So not only will you be able to play battlefield 2, you can also look into the future to see if bf3 will be any good :p

DaMiEn said:
So not only will you be able to play battlefield 2, you can also look into the future to see if bf3 will be any good :p

i'm thinking gazing balls are differnt than crystal balls. though i do have a 5" crystal ball in my room guarded by a big ass sentinel model from the matrix:-D

does anyone hear the starwars theme music for the empire, those drawing totally reminded me of the death star plans. anyway onto the mod, seems very interesting, will definetly be keeping an eye on this.

I've been waiting for someone to think of a spherical project. Sounds awesome, subscribed.

Small update: Got most of my computer parts in the mail (see list of things with a ** on them) and i've gotten a confirmation that i'm gonna work this monday, so in a few weeks i should have the money to buy the rest of my parts, and maybe even the sphere itself. ah, i love the smell of new hardware ^^

Medium update:

sorry it's been so long since i've done anything with this. what with the lack of money, work, and trying to fit school into everything i havn't been able to do much besides wait.

Well, I've finally purchased all my essential items as hardware goes, and i've just put in an order for a 20" stainless steel gazing globe (major props to herbs97 for finding this for me). It's shown for $179, but while ordering it, a %10 off coupon popped up, and it was only 161 after that. best part is, no tax and no shipping! woo! it'll prolly take a while to get here though. oh well.

so...yeah...i have everything to build a working computer, and i have the main piece of the case coming in the mail. hope to make more updates sooner after this. stay tuned ^^

Hey. Thanks for the props, Just can't wait till you get the ball rolling (no pun intended)
on this project !
It will be a interesting mod indeed.
I'll be watching, Bob.

I've been looking around for an adiquate case stand design, and i think i might have found one (or something like it) worthy of the Sphere project:

char_feng_image46.JPG

(image from fengzhudesign.com)

tell me what you think.

got a design of your own? show me. whether it's inspiration from real life, or something you drew on a napkin, i'd love to see it.

She's not bad. I think she'd make a great one.
i see what you did there :p

ba ha ha. a death star sub woofer? never seen that before! awsome... stand for it is a little weak tough... looks like something for a papasan chair...

Everfalling said:
i see what you did there :p

ba ha ha. a death star sub woofer? never seen that before! awsome... stand for it is a little weak tough... looks like something for a papasan chair...

Not even when I posted it on page 1 of your very own thread? :(

WOW !
That sphere looks nice, Remember, measure twice cut once.
I'd hate to see you mess it up since it took about a month to get it.

I'll keep watching cause it's seems like a great mod.
Good luck, Bob.

/subscribed.

this could be either very entertaining (in a good way) or very entertaining (in a bad way). :p personally, i'm hoping it's the former, not the latter.

and yeah, i'd like to see you try to make that stand. and if you're successful, i want one :eek:

all kidding aside (mostly anyways) this looks to be an interesting project. that stand design certainly looks doable (as long as you can measure and use a router and whatnot) how many legs would it have?

rogue_jedi said:
/subscribed.

this could be either very entertaining (in a good way) or very entertaining (in a bad way). :p personally, i'm hoping it's the former, not the latter.

and yeah, i'd like to see you try to make that stand. and if you're successful, i want one :eek:

all kidding aside (mostly anyways) this looks to be an interesting project. that stand design certainly looks doable (as long as you can measure and use a router and whatnot) how many legs would it have?

yeah i know. though it might be going against the modder way, i'm thinking of leaving the actual cutting of the sphere up to some professional metal workers. they'd not only know what tools to use, but how to cut it w/o warping the metal. it's still only a millimeter thick, even if it is steel.

and yeah, that stand is going to be interesting to fabricate, esp those legs... and there will be a minimum of 4 legs, or an ideal max of 6.

gonna have to watch this.... The stand, in my humble opinion should have 6 legs, mostly for an intricate 'look' - the sphere itself is awesome...wanna see how you get everything in there with minimal 'damage' to the exterior of the ball.

He must be still trying to figure out how his credit card # was stolen......lol

umm..status? yeah, i've been busy with school and such, and i've still to find someone to has the tools to cut the sphere into its main parts. damn thing has been sitting in my room for a few months... i wish i could get a move on this project but things are coming very slowly. sorry about this.

Everfalling said:
UPDATE!!!

I got the sphere in the mail today! FUCKING YES!

Pictures + my responces: http://www.livejournal.com/users/xux/23596.html

Just the pictures: http://photobucket.com/albums/a20/everfalling/Sphere%20Case/

This is gonna be jawsome.

No tools to work it right now, nor much free time. Still gotta refine the blueprints before i slice this puppy up. For those who thought this project was dead, i guarentee you sir, it is not! Waha!
Slightly off topic, but...where did you get the FLCL poster? :D

Not too long ago there was a mod out there for a pc - that was actually part of the desk - it was a TIE fighter. The solar panels were the legs of the table and the cockpit was the case. Wirese came out the back and a piece of glass went across the top where the HID's went (i.e. mouse keyboard monitor) I think this (if the deathstar is what your going for) would be a perfect addition to the family of star wars mods out there. I RRRREEEEALLY wanna see this when its finished.

Thx......BUMP FOR WIN!

Back