• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project: Slumber Parties REVAMPED

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
5,474
So my fiance does slumber parties. The office is full of $3,000 of Ikea Besta and Inreda stuff to match the colors of the business. I've been wanting to ditch the PITA Antec 900 thats served as my server box for ever and always wanted to mod a case. So I moved my server hardware into my game case an ABS A+ El Diablo. (I'm going to be modding this one later to match the Red/Black theme also)

This is my first time going water cooled so I honestly have alot of reading to do. I have plenty of time as I haven't gotten my board, cpu, or gpu/s yet. I've also never painted a computer chassis before.

I picked up a Cooler Master Sphere HAF 932 and a cpu loop with a tripple rad from someone here on HF. Needless to say that transaction hasn't made me happy. I'll just let the pictures do the talking.

Below are the photos I was shown when I agreed to make the purchase:






The following is what I received but wasn't informed of prior to purchase. So its what I have to work with:
Yes its a Gallery

All Images can be seen as larger photos by clicking on the thumbnail then clicking the magnifying glass with a + sign under the image on the following page.

Moving on with the worklog:








What on earth is the goup that collected on the cpu block?
This substance was actually like a putty substance. I just rubbed it off under the bathroom sink. Then after I patted it dry was left with this:



So I put on a magnifing headset with light and grabbed a needle. This stuff Seemed more like dried algea as it came off in fuzzy sheets.

This was after an hour and a half:



There is still some minor shit there that I will clean later. I wanted to make sure I could get the foreign shit off.

Now flipping over the copper block we have another nice surprise:


This must have been from shipping considering I asked to have crushed newspaper stuffed in the case to keep things from moving around. The cpu block was just stuffed in the cpu section of the mobo backplate when I pulled the case out of the box. Which in turn put the copper block against metal so it could rattle and slide while it is shipped. (See below picture) Now I get to read up on lapping also.

Granted The pump and res were tapped down and the 6 gigs of gskill ram and box of case accesories were tapped and bubble wrapped together.
What nice find did I have of that ram with red heatsinks? Thermal paste smeared all over two of them on one side. Considering there was thermal paste on the inside of the anti static bag they were in.

While I was moving the Cooling setup I noticed Some fuzzy green particles floating around in the system:


Is this shit normal? I'm guessing its a form of algae.

Now for the Rad I was rather pissed off when I saw the following as I wasn't informed of this nice little bit of findings either:










Down to the case:

Wow dust buildup. Just wait thats nothing:


Wow and a can of air is what $3 bucks. I paid $397 dollars for beat up and banged up stuff unanounced to me and it doesn't even arrive clean. Pretty sad. I've never sent anything dirty to a buyer on this forum or any other hardware forum let alone on ebay.


Oh look its the missing bay cover still missing from the initial pic where I asked if he had it and was told yes its sitting right by him in a drawer and he insured me it would be sent along with all the plates. Hell I only got maybe 3 of the IO Plates.

Bare chassis:





I made sure since I am drilling out the rivets and having the chassis powder coated to make sure I have a log of rivet locations:



















Now with a close look over the case we have the following mangled drive hold offs that will get attention later on:




Water damage out the ass:











NEXT UP DRILLING RIVITS:

As with any other worklog please post thoughts and ideas for the buildup. I'm looking at going Blackoutside with the HAF on the window panel accenting the inside red color. Might be accenting other items on the exterior also such as the fan grill on the front of the case. Haven't decided that stuff yet.
 
Last edited:
Wow, that really seems like a poorly maintained case. Its kind of sad. I think the previous owner took "water cooling" quite literally, Water might have contained _something_ that grew, or perhaps a rather inferior brand of coolant that precipitated..All the best cleaning the damage up. Sub'd
 
You will always have that kind of buildup in your system if you do not flush all parts of the watercooling with a combination of vinegar and clean water before assembling. The radiator almost always contains residue from the production process, as do the coolers (some are covered in a thin oil film for protection) and the connectors.
Some kind of cooling fluids can also degrade the hoses and the whole stuff will finally end up in the fine structures of microchannel coolers like the swiftech.

Again, you paid WTF for that lump of scrap?
I probably could've shipped you all that stuff (case+watercooling) from Germany over to your place, most parts would've been new, too.
Coolermaster HAF932 - 115Euros
Swiftech Apogee cooling block - about 45Euros
Dual Radiator - starting from about 40 Euros
Don't know the kind of pump, but you can get a Laing new at under 50 Euros sometimes.
All these prices include VAT, 19% here in Germany.

So for used components... that seems ridiculous.
(I don't know the diameter of the hoses and connectors though, but look at www.aquatuning.de and their prices for reference)
 
Hey guys, the last thread was closed. All of that was covered in the previous thread-search for it.
Please refrain from those style comments and comment on the current build. :D
 
sorry, didn't even know there was a previous thread regarding that.
But concerning the mod...
...well, there's not much to see atm ^^
What are you going to do about the rivets after powder coating the chassis? Can you get some in black anodized? Silver rivets might stand out a little afterwars.
Will you also coat the ATX plate of the mainboard and the slot cover of the gfx card?
 
don't know if htis is the appropriate place to ask... but how can there be algae growing in the block? he was using coolant and not water, yeah? aren't most coolants toxic to humans, much less algae?
 
no, some coolants actually support the growth of algae, and sometimes it's just a component of the coolant that's reacting poorly to heat.
Alphacool had to recall some kind of their "Alpha-Cola" cooling liquid due to this iirc.

If you want to be sure that you actually protect your waterloop from corrosion and growth of nasty stuff and have no problems with heat-reactions whatsoever, I suggest a mix of demineralised water with 10-15% Glysantin (Car coolant, the blue one, G48 or what it's called). Do not ever under any circumstances mix the red and blue car coolants, they react with each other and can clog up fine channels (like in the picture above).

I've always run this mix and never had any corrosion problems in mixed loops (copper and aluminium). I even added an already partially corroded cooler to the loop for testing purposes - no problems, didn't corrode any further.

The only downside is that clear pvc tubing takes on the color of the coolant after a while.

Just remember: Flush your cooling system with a vinegar-water-mix before changing coolant to clear out every bit of residue. Afterwards, flush it thoroughly several times with clear water.
Do not use chlorine in cleaning the loop as this can cause plexi to crack and seals to become brittle.
 
I've fallen way behind on updating this thread. I will post progress later this evening.
I've decided to go with painting the case considering it can't be powdercoated in two colors and the haff top and bottom exterior are also the interior. So that pretty much screws any ability to do the inside red and the outside black. But an update will follow this evening.
 
couldn't you use cheap thin aluminium plates from your nearest hobby shop as some kind of doubled-up inner cover for the top and bottom (and sides)? They could be painted/coated in a different colour than the outside parts and match the inside chassis.
Plus, if your use double-sided tape to affix them, there's padded tape available and this will add a bit of sound insulation, too.
 
Ok so I'm still a lazy ass with updating. The camera is in the garage which is where I've been doing most of the work. I will try to update tonight, but not sure if I will get around to it just now making dinner.
 
REMEMBER CLICK IMAGES FOR FULL SIZE VERSIONS!!!

Ok so I pulled the ol Dremel out and found the appropriate sized metal bit for the job. I've never drilled out case rivits before so wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into. So I set it at 4 for the speed that way its not hauling ass and trying to chop a finger off. I wasn't too affraid of scratching the paint now since it was screwed before I even received it. I still don't get how the hell you scratch the hell out of a case when you have styrofoam (sp) on the front and back of the case and your sliding it in a cardboard box. I guess it can happen. :rolleyes:


So since the rain has been holding off I decided to take advantage of it since its been sprinkling off and on as it has been for the last week here in TX. Below we have it half way tore down and drilled out:





Now we have everything drilled out:



The nice aftermath:


Now we have closer looks at the water damage and neglectful modding done to the case:












NEXT UP BEAD BLASTING That is if I even took pictures opppss I'll have to see.
 
wOW WHAT A LAZZY ASS. I know I've stated more updates coming, but I just haven't found the time or keep forgetting to while I'm on here. The painting process of the case chasis is almost complete. I have serious modding to do to the window panel and possibly the other panel also. So they are at stand stills and still raw steel. I've been lazy (who would have thought) with taking pictures as of late so during the painting process there may be a shot here and there, but its nothing seriously insane like the above workup. I left off with bead blasting being my next post. As I can see above this message window. Thats sad.

Since then I've done alot of work and have spent I would say 48 hours wet sanding and painting multiple coats. I wanted to make sure I have the paint fairly thick for protection. I'm still contemplating on if I just want to use clear gloss or a lacquer sealer on the paint. It needs to be durable. I have a pile of cans sitting in the garage from the work. LOL Sad thing is I have one can of clear gloss laying around that I bought and I don't even know if I want to use it or not.

I was at Lowes getting rivets to put the case back together today and strolled down the spray paint isle. Unfortunatly they don't carry Krylon which is what I started the job with and intended to finish with, but I saw one can of Valspar Clear Laquer finish that sounded promising to promote a durable finish that will resist average bumps and bangs.

After the amount of time I spent taping off the top and bottom panels to paint the two tone I wasn't about to blast paint back off and fix a few minor imperfections. Right now the garage is packed with tons of shit. Including 3 desks from the Ikea Office upgrade which are going in a garage sale this weekend.

So I have pieces of computer case laying on 1/4 plywood sections all over the garage where a solid place is that is flat. So they are safe while drying. Its been nasty lately here in DFW. For the past two weeks in fact there hasn't been any sun. Its been nothing but clouds and drizzly, fog, rain you name it. So I've been working on it when I can. I can't paint in the garage because of overspray. So it gets held off till a nicer day that isn't wet. So now I'm trying to just throw it together to get it in one piece and in a box where its safe. We all know what more then likely will happen when pulling shit out of a garage for a garage sale. So the time and money I've spent on this case is more valuable then perfection.

There was problems with the air holes on the top and bottom panel with painting. I taped the inside then sprayed the outside. When I turned around and painted the inside and taped the outside. Somehow some of the interior paint is on the exterior air hole surroundings. Its seen upclose, but not from away. What is noticed from far away and from angles is a nice feature I wasn't expecting nor was I shooting for. But I'm exceptionally happy with how it looks.

Aside from the missing paint where the colors seperate where the side panels sit from mismatched tapping. I swore they were tapped ok. Some bubbles (noticed on the inside of the top and bottom) from most likely a tad heavy coat of paint here and there and the wonderful up and down temps and humiditys here in Texas.

I was going to wet sand the inside of the case as it seems a bit rough, but after looking at it and thinking about it. I believe it will look better with a tad rough look vs slick as a babies but. Not to mention with all the vents and grills and stamps in the steel. There really is no way to wetsand the inside of the case. The only wetsanding that was done is to the Exterior prior to painting, but after primer.

Now what piss's me off is I took the mobo tray, hard drive rails, exterior panel doors out to where I have blasting access. Spent 3 hours blasting those items and completely forgot to blast the chrome off the GTZ to get it ready for paint. IDIOT!!! So that will be another trip. Oh well I may find something else I want to do with the case. LOL

So If I remember of course I will get pics up with updated details. But this post was to hold those followers over. Again I'm terribly sorry for my lazzyness.


On a side note.
Has anyone dremeled a case before? What I mean by this is taking a side panel and cutting out words or shapes. What bits did you use? I was looking at a bit a Lowes for basically slide cutting, but I would have to get a hole started to use that bit. And have to swap back and forth many times to complete the job. What I originally thought of doing was cutting the HAF out on the window panel. I have since changed my mind on that to something much better as it is Project Slumber Parties!
 
Wow such a following no replies since my last update. LOL

Just spent 2 hours straightening the rad fins that were mashed to hell and taping it off for painting. I promise pics are coming and more details.
 
Well, I for one, get tired of hearing you bitch and moan about the raw deal you got on used components from a fellow forum member. Your previous thread got locked for it, yet you continue to make references to it. I'm not trying to crap on your thread, but just move on and show us the mod - we don't need the commentary about how you got screwed buying used gear. Show us your skills in turning less than stellar parts into something awesome, and we'll all oohh and ahhh over it, but let's keep it on the topic at hand - MODDING a case.

/off soapbox

Now, congrats on all of your progress, and good luck with the rest of it. I like watching worklogs progress as much as the next guy!
 
Well, I for one, get tired of hearing you bitch and moan about the raw deal you got on used components from a fellow forum member. Your previous thread got locked for it, yet you continue to make references to it. I'm not trying to crap on your thread, but just move on and show us the mod - we don't need the commentary about how you got screwed buying used gear. Show us your skills in turning less than stellar parts into something awesome, and we'll all oohh and ahhh over it, but let's keep it on the topic at hand - MODDING a case.

/off soapbox

Now, congrats on all of your progress, and good luck with the rest of it. I like watching worklogs progress as much as the next guy!
Last I checked its my thread posting and what ever I discuss in my thread is completely up to me. The references to what work started out as will not be going anywhere. Its how the project started. So yes there will be references as to the products condition prior to working on it. It is a work log. If it bothers you hearing about how something goes from damaged/stock to repaired/improved on. Well then I guess your in the complete wrong subforum. Because everything starts as something. The everythings just aren't always as bad as some.

/off soapbox

Thanks for the encouragement. Several times I've wondered why I'm even doing this. Especially when Frys had a CM HAF 932 for $100 bucks and its 8 minutes down the road.
But it all allows me to put my own touches to things. As stated above in another post. I have cut corners because of the time I have to get it together (Basically tonight the garage sale is tomorrow morning) and out of the garage to avoid damage to any of it. So there are flaws here and there in the paint. Which to a point I don't give a rats ass about, but on the other hand I'm disappointed too.
 
Picked up a rivet gun this weekend so the case will be going back together this afternoon. Will do a big update then.
 
regarding the dremeling of the case for logos:
Delicate logos can be (in my opinion) created more easily with a jigsaw with fine steel sawblades. That way you can achive much finer detais than with a dremel cutting wheel, you'll almost always end up holding it at an angle and cutting too far/too wide.
 
regarding the dremeling of the case for logos:
Delicate logos can be (in my opinion) created more easily with a jigsaw with fine steel sawblades. That way you can achive much finer detais than with a dremel cutting wheel, you'll almost always end up holding it at an angle and cutting too far/too wide.

Wasn't really looking at using a wheel. There are cross cut drill bits for metal. I was thinking of useing that.
 
Wow did I fuck up or what! While sealing the case I ended up getting some runs where the sealer sprayed out odd and thick. So now I'm trying to thicken the areas around the runs to blend them in. Otherwise I have to drill the rivets and start the whole damn thing all over again. I've got a nice thick coat on it right now to start with so I don't think any damage will come to the paint job. The main concern I have with the run area (2 areas being the rear IO panel and the 5.25 drive rail inside) on the 5.25 rail is that I'm going to have some form of window in that general location and don't want the imperfection seen. If I wasn't going to be placing what I want to place there it wouldn't be too much of an issue. Since I am doing something in that location though I have to try and fix it the best I can.

Yea and all this is after I find out that Harbor Freight sells a Powdercoating gun for $60 at that. Shit I've spent that much in paint already. I would have rather gotten the gun and been done with this. At least I get to put my own work into it instead of a gun and oven doing it for me.

If anyone has a technique for fixing this problem feel free to give ideas. I have to run to Walmart for some more sealer since I've used all the cans I have here. Just a note when the can gets to where it doesn't want to spray on its own anymore throw it down. Don't try for the last drop by shaking while spraying. Hell @ 12" away I still got screwed with glob spots which caused runs using the shake and spray method to remove the last of the sealer from the can.

Working out some deals on a key component to the build involving THIS
 
Last edited:
Ok so I've done all kinds of talking out my ass about posting updates with pictures. I've been really busy between just working on the case, work around the house, my kids, my fiance's business, etc.

Well I'm going to start by posting a recap of all the items I've been talking about, but with out pics. Since they take forever to rename and upload etc:

So without further delay:

AS ALWAYS CLICK THUMBNAIL FOR LARGER IMAGE


Bead Blasted







Painting






















Now here is the unique illusion effect I talked about earlier










Now the radiator fins straightened out to the best of my ability with what I had to work with
:






Rad Prepped





Rad Painted







Other Mention tid bits the work space and where I've had to store parts to dry showing why I ended up throwing this together faster then expected:







Next up case assembly
 
Ok last we left off with a ton of photos of the painting progress from weeks ago.

Now we are going to overview the assembly of the case:

















Assembled




Above you can see where the color scheme comes from and what its all about.
 
Now the next set I didn't take many pictures of the process.
Now for Glazing the case for protection:






Now some paint flaws



While doing the glazing The cans were getting to where they wouldn't spray much anymore, but felt like they were a good third full. So I did the biggest mistake I could have ever done which is shake the can while spraying. Which in turn caused some glop spots to spray out of the can and of course cause runs.

So with that being said I redrilled the rivets out and took the pieces out to the blaster again and started to strip the panels again to start from scratch and from scratch the right way like I was going to in the first place. POWDER COATING

During the blasting last night the compressor motor got too hot and went into protection apparently and I had to call it a night as it was taking forever for it to cool off. I might add that my paint and glaze was much harder to remove then the factory paint job from Coolermaster. :) So I did one thing right anyway. Made a nice damn durable paint bonding and sealed coat.

Unfortunatly I didn't get any pics of the damage like I thought I did. Sorry guys

Project Slumber Parties gets dropped off at the Powder Coater in Garland Saturday morning where she will undergo the continued paint stripping/bead blasting and then powdercoating. If I'm able to take pictures then I will, but this isn't my house and its some guy I found on Craigslist that shows exceptional work and isn't expensive at all. Lets just put it this way. I wasn't done with sealing her @ $3.97 a can and I was already around $55-$60 in supply cost. This guy is going to do the job for less then that. So if he works out good I'm going to see if I can work something out with him for anyone that is interested. He has the real shit no kitchen oven. He has a 6 foot oven in his garage so he doesn't play around. From bike frames to wheels and car parts. He does it all if it will fit in his oven. So like I said I will see how Project Slumber Parties turns out and maybe I can work some kind of promotions deal out with him.
 
Bit of a teaser:

Anyone wanna guess whats inside?:D

Its a work of art I'll say that much. :eek:
 
Well I dropped her off at the powder coaters yesterday.
 
Ok well I fucked up. I started working on the 5.25 rail locks again today. Starting with attempting to strip the paint off the round buttons that say cooler master. Well I didn't have any paint thinner and well grabbed the next best thing. Apparrently after forgetting I was soaking the shit in a glass it decided to well desolve the damn plastic. So now I have to hope Cooler Master will sell that item and that item only as I don't need any of the other parts.

Shit I can't believe I forgot about them.
 
Back
Top