Project: Sega Consoles Case

[CCDC]Norn

n00b
Description:

I got the idea for this case at Quakecon this year. Dr. Mario Cart had a simmilar case running a bunch of nintendo consoles. So, one thing led to another I decided to start working on a Sega Case. Hopefully I can get it done by next year and run a few Dreamcast tournments.

Right now, I invision the case being a server case, painted glossy white with orange windows that are shaped like dreamcast swirls. If I don't do that, I may just do a black case, with blue windows. It will most likely have these consoles in it: Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis, and Master System. Maybe more if I can get my hands on them. I'd like to intergrate the Dreamcast and Saturn's cd drives in to the front 5 1/2" bays, but if I can't figure that out, they will be mounted on the sides. There will be an array of controller ports on the front, but space may be a problem, if so those could get moved. I need to learn a lot about souldering and how to extended all sorts of diffrent connections before I can get a lot of work done.

Worklog:

Monday, August 16, 2004 -

Started to take about the dreamcast. It seems like it's going to work about better than I orignally thought. I didn't have too much trouble taking it apart. One thing I'm worried about are the ribbon cable things I've seen on the controller ports and the gd-rom drive.

It_Works_With_This_(Question).jpg

You can see them poking out here. This picture shows all the Dreamcast needs to run. I tried running it with either of those 3 objects missing (Power Supply (=P), Gd-Rom, or Ports) and it won't. I also have to find out how to make a cable to connect the gd-rom into the main board from farther away. Right now it has a hard port into the main board.

Main_Body.jpg

You can see from this picture that the actual console that'll I have to end up sticking somewhere in the case is not all the large. The size of a controller, and about half as thick as one without the power supply sticking out. I'm going to work on figuring out how to connect this stuff next.

I worked on trying to get around the limitation of the weird ribbon cable things today. I found longer versions of the same type of cable online, but I decided it'd be easier to see if I can extend them some other way. So I tried to desolder the recpticle for the cable off of the controller board (it has a blown fuse-thing already), but in the process I think I might of messed it up by putting to much heat on it (I'm a soldering noob.). Then I was going to try to extend the recipticle using a ribbion cable, but the cable proved to small to strip =( If anyone has any advice on soldering these wires in, or how to strip a ribbon cable, I'd love to hear it:

crap.JPG

In releated bad news, the Dreamcast stop booting up, this morning I was able to get it to boot up with just the power supply and the gd rom, but now it won't do that. And in the process of trying to get it to boot I've shocked myself 3-4 times. It feels kind of good.

good luck , i should do something like this considering i have every single sega console made...lol

master, genesis, sega cd, 32x, saturn, dreamcast, gamegear and nomad..lol

Seeing a Dreamcast like that made alittle part of me die on the inside. :(

I really hope this turns out great. Good luck. :)

I'm really interested to see how you will make the disc lid on the top of the case.

I tried with a junked DC (GD-ROM didn't work anymore) just to see if I could mount it right on some POS case I had. If I pulled it off I was gonna re-do it with a working one.

Great project idea. If you need help with anything DC hardware related, like voltages. Check the hardware modification and repair forum at DCEmulation

Back