Project Rust Box

cOrE

Weaksauce
I had some ppl ask me how I got the rust finish on my Thermaltake Armor. I didnt take any pics along the way but it was really simple and will explain how to do it.

I used a product called instant iron and instant rust by sophisticated finishes http://www.dickblick.com/products/instant-iron-and-instant-rust/

I bought it at my local Michaels craft store and it cost me about $20 dollars to do the whole case. It was real simple to use basically all i did was take the case apart and sanded it first. Then I primed the case with spray primer from my local hardware store. After that I used a sponge brush and painted on the instant iron. After you let the instant iron dry for about two hours. Then I used a kitchen sponge and dabed the instant rust onto all the parts of the case and then I used a small paint brush to do all cracks and small details. The more instant rust that you put on the more rust you get. Here is a video that I found on youtube that gave me the idea to do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Ud9T-doAc The inside of the case is next and will be doing some graphics and details on the outside of the case so check back for more!

Needs MOAR GEARS!!

Also, like, some steam pipes or something.

Nice paintwork, though!

Next would be to put the lights on controllers that make them flicker randomly. :-D

Great 'dilapidated' look!

kniah, If the products he describes are what I think they are, they're just paint that LOOKS like rust - not actual rust. So no, it wouldn't get on your fingers.

I'm not usually a fan of "dirty" case mods like this - but this looks awesome! Someone said it needs steam pipes - I think that would be just brilliant. Imagine you watercooled this system and had some industrial looking, worn and rusted looking copper pipes for the water flow?

That would possibly make this the most epic case mod known to man. Or...well, at least known to ME :p

Its a two part paint that creates real rust! But sofar none of it has came off on my hands or anything. It says on the instructions to seal it after its cured for a week. I plan on adding some other stuff to it this is just a start. Ive always wanted to do water cooling but have never done it before maybe I will try that out.

Put some fake coral or something on there and that PC will look like it was pulled out of Rapture. :p

Back