• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

project: router in a dell case

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
2,267
ok...here goes:
I was bored last night so I gutted an old hub, netgear wireless router, and cisco 1600 router. I have this old Dell Optiplex case laying around and wanted to see if I could fit them all inside. Couldn't get the hub in right. Somehow I fried the netgear...but the cisco is okay.
Basically I mounted the whole router board where the mobo would be, and started to cut/shape the metal to fit the ports (without a dremel, i might add). I am borrowing a dremel tomorrow to finish it off and then mount the board.
Some pics so far:
Picture003.jpg

the router board sitting in the case
Picture002.jpg

closeup of the ports in the back
Picture001.jpg

another picture of the back.
more to come tomorrow.
 
here's an update:

Picture004.jpg

view of the board temporarily taped down
Picture005.jpg

another view of the back after shaping with the dremel
Picture007.jpg

I used some plumber's strapping to strengthen the case where I cut some metal
Picture008.jpg

yet another shot of the back after I finished cutting away the metal
Picture009.jpg

final shot of the back with the case on.
I will post pictures of the front later on.
 
i think the only way this will look good is if you close up all the open space around the PSU slot and stuff.
 
I agree...but I never will see the back of it :) however I want to get something for the front where the cd-rom would go.
 
I covered the back where the PSU was with a blank wallplate. It works. More pics to come soon.
 
here's some more:
Picture001-2.jpg

closeup of the switch wiring
Picture002-1.jpg

another shot of the wiring
Picture003-1.jpg

and still more of the wiring...it took me a few times to get it working right
Picture005-1.jpg

here's how I covered up part of the back...not pretty but it works!
Picture004-1.jpg

one shot of the front...yes, I made an [H] label with my P-Touch!
Picture006.jpg

and my final picture of the front...now it's sitting comfortably in my rack.

Jeff
 
Back
Top