Project Quantum... Intel Inside??

It is a prototype/proof of concept to pitch to partners to make their own designs.
They likely chose it due to having similar qualities to their planned CPU choice.

Last edited:
Well if they paired the Fury X2 to a FX-8350, it would be like having a Veyron SS riding on 185mm wide tires.

I'm a bit shocked they demo'd this with Intel Inside, but they know performance:watt counts. But seriously - Maybe wait until Zen next time, AMD?

Probably a prototype looking forward to the next generation of consoles and/or the growing popularity of the MacPRO workstations. I'd say normally the public isn't involved sooooo early in the process, interesting timing AMD wanted to show this prototype at this stage.

A Processor Designer/Maker company using other's company product/Platform just reflect distrust in their own products/platform. that's a thing that should never happen even if its a prototype and it happens in a lot of GPU marketing slides: **Paired with intel i7 X99 platform can be read at the end of slides, while they create GPU market they are at the same time just destroying their own CPU market and as a owner of 2 FX platforms I really dislike that strategy, is like General Motors using Ford's EcoTec Turbo Engines in their cars for a "prototype" "early design" just crap in my opinion,

We should give them respect for that as they didn't ruin possibly great product by putting one of their apus inside.

In this case engineering won against marketing.

They chose AMD because they wanted to show their GPU in the best light possible. No brainer.

Pretty much. Hell, look at the Fury reviewers guide test systems..both Intel CPUs.

Of you are not going to buy an amd gpu stop,arguing,comenting stupid stuff... just keep going dude next year nvidia will release pascal and you will be happy again.

Actually the reason they are using an intel CPU is down to form factor I think. Manufacturers did not make mATX boards for AMDs FX CPUs and most definitely not ITX boards like the one in quantum. There was no demand some claimed. So they had to use intel for that form factor. Maybe there will be such boards for Zen.

The CPU is water cooled so there really would have been no issue using an AMD CPU or intel (a fan is not ideal in either case)

A Processor Designer/Maker company using other's company product/Platform just reflect distrust in their own products/platform. that's a thing that should never happen even if its a prototype and it happens in a lot of GPU marketing slides: **Paired with intel i7 X99 platform can be read at the end of slides, while they create GPU market they are at the same time just destroying their own CPU market and as a owner of 2 FX platforms I really dislike that strategy, is like General Motors using Ford's EcoTec Turbo Engines in their cars for a "prototype" "early design" just crap in my opinion,

Are you saying Intel CPUs won't benefit from dx12, but AMD CPUs will?

AMD 8 cores probably more. AMD was banking on core count over single core performance, so an API that is multi-thread friendly should help with more cores.

Games are heavily dependent on single threaded performance. That won't change with DX 12.0.

Efficient chips will continue to work even more efficiently. Why pair a weakling with a power GPU? So AMD's logic is understandable!

Games are heavily dependent on single threaded performance. That won't change with DX 12.0.

Efficient chips will continue to work even more efficiently. Why pair a weakling with a power GPU? So AMD's logic is understandable!

this is what most people seems to just ignore.. DX12 will offer a big bump in performance for both camps... but a greater even for intel chips.

It's worth noting that Quantum is a proof of concept for OEMs to pick up on. If you were in the shoes of an OEM what cpu would you ship for a high end gaming rig? I think intel and thus I think AMD is wise to make the reference system something OEMs are willing to ship.

Put another way; quantum is a mechanism to sell gpus not cpus.

Wrong on single thread. DX12 allows MORE THAN ONE CORE to talk to the GPU at a time, hence why Single thread is so prevalent right now in DX11. Besides there have been a lot of preliminary tests that show AMD CPUs, namely 8 cores, gaining huge ground on Intel. This is for a couple of reasons, mostly being GPU limited at that point. CPU dependence becomes history at that point, at least for now (maybe in the future more will be added to games that will require more CPU power but likely that code load will be a fair bit off). And keep in mind most are stating GAINING ground which does not mean EQUAL or SURPASSING. Stop reading into it with disdain and accept it at face value.

this is what most people seems to just ignore.. DX12 will offer a big bump in performance for both camps... but a greater even for intel chips.

Well that is not true Intel does not use real cores so hyper threading does not work that well. as shown in the star swarm demo and IPC really does not matter when each single core can talk to the gpu under DX12.

Where you would have most people with I5 or I7 just use 4 cores and people with FX 8XXX or 9XXX will use 8 cores to talk to the gpu.

So Intel is not going to be better.....

Here AMD explains why they went with a 4790K and that was smart, as a good product is more important than a AMD/Intel rivalry, and Intel had a better processor for the job while AMD is still managing to fit a crapton of GPU power in a tiny form factor:
http://hexus.net/tech/news/systems/84236-amd-explains-put-intel-inside-project-quantum-pc/

I think it looks pretty cool:
ab4b7017-c239-431f-b9ee-7c18913dec53.jpg

And AMD has said that they will include AMD processor options, but I'm sure you'd want to wait for Zen for that.

Nice write up and dissection of Project Quantum. Page 3 has a close up of the Intel i7-4790k.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2973...l?hootPostID=32855738c395e0c18ff2047a1eda435f

I didn't care for the presentation but there was a lot of meat there. That is actually pretty badass even in it's current format. I am super excited to see where this goes when it's running 14nm GPU's and Zen/Skylake/Whatever CPU they use.

Imagine that Setup with:

8-16 Core Zen / 8-core i7
2x 14nm GPU w/ HBM 2.0
512-1TB M.2 SSD 1.0GB/s+ read/write

I would certainly pay good money for one and gladly throw it under a nice bigass next-gen 4K TV.

I don't see the issue here to be totally honest.

They aren't dumb, they realize that they don't offer a product that fits the needs of this particular application. Instead of waiting for it they can begin to build up hype/interest as well as put out prototypes and see what works, what doesn't and collect feedback. On top of that the star of this show is the 1x or 2x Fury X that is inside and not necessarily the CPU.

Someone else mentioned this earlier as well but it's also quite possible they chose an i7 because it fits the profile they are looking to produce/obtain with Zen, especially if rumors of octa-core/95w are true.

They would almost have to be crazy to try and throw an FX CPU in here and quite frankly it probably wouldn't work due to the heat, and their APU's won't cut the mustard and they know it. They made right choice in my humble opinion.

As an aside to all of this they (AMD) have released plenty of other videos, quips, slides, demos, documentation etc showing the "minimal" difference in gaming performance between an i7 and their high-end FX chips. So they're not totally admitting defeat but rather admitting they don't have a product that fits the needs of the type of device they're trying to build. This is also something they are actively working on remedying and i believe shortly after news of this originally broke they stated that they would be shipping models with Zen variants. /rant

I watched Geeks Who Drink last night.One of the prizes was a Project Quantum box.I can not believe AMD gave one away.I want one.

its one of my series recordings for my Media Center mocur box. Im a few weeks behind on Geeks Who Drink.

Back