Project: Pirate Sonata

R@MO, can you please sum up all the dremel bits you've used so far in your project?
(except of the #426).

A mod so good, that it can only be rated "Arrr!"

Heh, It's looking cool, but the buckle pics aren't showing up =/

Check_Point said:
R@MO, can you please sum up all the dremel bits you've used so far in your project?
(except of the #426).

Apart from the 426, I've also used the 409, 420, 561, and 9901. I tried playing with the sanding drums as well, but I think I'd rather sand by hand instead. Hope that helps.

I'll fix the pics in the morning.

Quick Update: I originaly said I wouldn't show any more pictures before the side panel is done, but its taking a lot longer than I had hoped. Filing takes forever to do right - a lot longer than cutting. So here are some pictures to keep you guys interested while I inch closer to finishing off the cutout.

First off, here is that scratch I told you about. I've since scratched the panel in other places, although none as pronounced as this first time. Looks like I might have to repaint when done filing. :(

dremel44.jpg

It's OK though - I'll learn from it and hopefully it won't happen again. :eek:

Moving on, I managed to file away the worst of the rough edges, and I cut away at the teeth. I still have the handle to cut. Here is a picture of my overall progress as of this afternoon:

dremel38.jpg

As you can see, I've removed the painter's tape from most of the panel. Of course, this proved to be the mistake that resulted in the scratch shown above. I'm documenting this so others can learn from my mistakes. When filing, use protection!! :D

Here are some close-ups as usual, first of the teeth:

dremel42.jpg

then of the skull's bandana:

dremel43.jpg

and finally of the sword handle:

dremel47.jpg

In the skull bandana picture, the gray/whitish stuff is basically glue left behind by the painter's tape. I need to get this crap off without scratching the panel, and frankly I'm not sure how to do this. Any suggestions?

Overall, I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. It's very fulfilling seeing your creation coming out the way you envisioned. :cool:

i usually use this stuff called Goo Gone to get rid of adhesive residue like that. I used it on my car before and it didn't seem to do any damage to the paint, but then again the paint wasn't all that great to begin with :p

tylerhskate said:
thats amazing, nice cutting sir :]

Why, thank you sir. ;)

Chunk said:
i usually use this stuff called Goo Gone to get rid of adhesive residue like that.

Someone suggested I try grain alcohol instead. Where can I find Goo Gone though?

Goo Gone... Hmm... I have that and yet I failed to use it on some aluminum I was cutting and had dimensions marked on masking tape. The aluminum got so hot during cutting that the tape actually melted onto the aluminum... and then burned my fingers...

Completely forgetting that there are ways to remove adhesive crap, I opted to use a power sander to sand the adhesive into a aluminum-dust goo that was a bitch for the sander to get off!

Adhesives 1
Mad Skillz 0

Sorry, that was sorta off topic... so back on topic:

Nice cuts. can't wait to see it filed and painted!

EDIT: This post was made by ErrOnReq, not Kurtis.

Actually I like hearing other people's experiences, so thanks for sharing. Btw, Kurtis, you have a Sonata as well, aren't you gonna cut a window in it?

You can use a number of things, goo gone, Asatone(basic ingredient in fingernail polish remover but you can buy in cans), Fingernail polish remover, Alchohol might work but I doubt it... Try using itbefore you buy something that you might not need. Money saved=more money on mod!

Uhh. I would go easy if you were to go out an buy some asatone or something like that. It might act like brake clean does for car hoods... :D

ACK!

This is Brian, ErrOnReq... not Kurtis.

He does have a Sonata, but he isn't going to cut a window in it.

I'm confused about something and I'm looking for some advice. I can't make my mind up whether to spring for a Noritake VFD or a PSOne 5" LCD. They both cost about the same - $185 CAD + tax.

Advantages of the VFD:
- Fits in a single 5.25" bay :thumb:
- Wide viewing angle & bright letters
- Easier to wire up

Disadvantages of the VFD:
- Can't display multiple colors, high res graphics, etc (ie. limited to text + logos/graphs)
- Software configuration could be a problem

Advantages of the LCD:
- More flexible - can be used as a second monitor for emulator gaming (MAME, etc) or for Samurize.
- *Bling* factor

Disadvantages of the LCD:
- Hard to wire up correctly and configure in Powerstrip.
- Takes up two 5.25" bays (if mounted in front)
- Narrow viewing angle

My case is usually on my right side, so I *could* have whichever display I get mounted in the side panel, but that might look too....un-ergonomical (ie. not pleasing to the eye).

So, what do you guys think I should get, and why? And where would you place each of them if you had the same case? :confused:

(At the moment I'm leaning towards the VFD)

Side Panel Update: Well, I finally finished filing all the edges, then bought some 99% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart and took all that gunk off that was left behind by the painters tape. This stuff cleans so damn well and then just evaporates into thin air. Its very cool :cool: stuff.

Anyways, here is the final result:

case087.jpg

case104.jpg

Some close-ups of my dremel work:

case107.jpg

case111.jpg

case114.jpg

case117.jpg

case122.jpg

And one final picture of the overall side panel, in the dark:

case146.jpg

Unfortunately the pictures don't do it justice. It really looks amazing in person. :D

That looks good. Looks great in the pictures so I can only imagine how good it is in person. Keep up the good work.

in my project black lightning i am using a graphic noritake vfd but in my future project (mp3 server)I am using a ps1 screen (picked it up for 45 bucks american :p ) It realy all depends on what you need it for. In Black Lightning I am only using it for stats and mp3 stats, where as in the mp3 server that is going to be the only monitor. Rember that if you are using the ps1 screen it has to run as dual monitors where as the vfd can be wired up in serial. That is kind of the main reason i didnt want to use the ps1 screen in Black Lightning.

That cut out looks great, nice job on the fine dremel work.

JEEVES

I bet it does look better in person. Pictures never really do anything justice. But it looks awesome, the colored fans and lighting in the case make it look even better. Looks sweet. Great work.

Thanks for all the kind replies. :)

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
in my project black lightning i am using a graphic noritake vfd but in my future project (mp3 server)I am using a ps1 screen (picked it up for 45 bucks american) It realy all depends on what you need it for. In Black Lightning I am only using it for stats and mp3 stats, where as in the mp3 server that is going to be the only monitor. Rember that if you are using the ps1 screen it has to run as dual monitors where as the vfd can be wired up in serial. That is kind of the main reason i didnt want to use the ps1 screen in Black Lightning.

If you remember from my first post in this thread, I have an ATI AIW 9700, which only has a single output. Does this mean that to use the LCD using VGA output I'd need a second PCI graphics card? :(

I'm currently bidding on an LCD on ebay. If I can pick one up for under 20 USD + shipping, then I will. :p

[edit] So much for that. 50 minutes left and its at 29 USD now. I prefer the VFD anyway. ;) [/edit]

From what I understand you hook up the ps1 lcd through the tv out on vid card. I might be mistaken and there might be a way to hook it up serial or parralell, if you find it let me know.

JEEVES

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
From what I understand you hook up the ps1 lcd through the tv out on vid card. I might be mistaken and there might be a way to hook it up serial or parralell, if you find it let me know.

JEEVES

The LCD can be connected in 2 ways. First, using the tv out on the video card, as you mentioned already, and second, by using a VGA cable and altering it a bit so it connects to the LCD (requires soldering).

I did a lot of research on this topic, so here are a few resources for anyone looking to do this mod. I, however, have decided to go with the VFD.

http://starfox.ucc.asn.au/carcomp/serio_lcd.htm
http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=warren
http://www.kickassamd.com/modules/mods/article.php?storyid=1
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/psxav.htm

Walmart rollbacks save the day once again.
/me starts whisling the walmart rollback theme-song.

Just a quick word to say that I will be going on vacation :cool: for a few weeks so there won't be any updates until early August. Hope you all enjoy your summer & mod on!! :D

Oh thats evil. The anticipation is already building. Oh well, have a nice vacation. :)

rogue_jedi said:
looks nice so far.

as far as inhaling dust goes, invest a few dollars in a pack of painting masks (little blue things like the dentist wears) so you don't swallow any.

as to fresh air - who needs it?

soldering isn't hard, just get a good soldering iron, keep it hot, and when applying solder, it doesn't need much, and don't move the wires while it cools off. with standard lead/tin solder, you want to avoid it looking silvery and shiny when you finish. instead you want it to be dull. also, put some heatshrink on it before you solder (just shift it out of the way) to protect the joint.
/i am fairly certain about the shiny=bad when soldering, but double check so you don't screw up ifi was wrong, mkay?/

Dull = bad
Shiny = good

The dull finish is a sign of a cold solder joint meaning you were moving the components that were being soldered. Just some fyi.

eyedol said:
Dull = bad
Shiny = good

The dull finish is a sign of a cold solder joint meaning you were moving the components that were being soldered. Just some fyi.

told you i wasn't sure:p i always forget which one is good/bad. so i took a guess. i'm usually better at guessing than this though. o well.

the mod looks really really sweet. i think you should try and do something about the antec logo though. doesn't really match the case theme.

Back