• GPU Farm

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Screw that!

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RushiMP

Limp Gawd
I am not new to folding, but I do have a renewed interest.

I have recently been reading the threads about 4P Intel and AMD systems and am awe struck by the ridiculous PPD and PP/Watt that we are able to achieve today.

I am calling upon the [H]orde to help me make some choices, I want the benefit of your experience and mistakes. I wish to build a new dedicated folding machine capable of running 24/7 without daily administration.

I would love to say that cost is no object, but knowing this community it would not matter what budget I allocate, you could spend it. I am not wealthy, but I eat well, and would like to give back in my own way.

I am no stranger to high end hardware but I have been behind the times in the DC department. I like to overclock and am not afraid to things a little wet.

I have searched the forums and read the stickies, but there is only so much you can do without getting your hands dirty. Share with me your experience, your pitfalls, your wishes and your future plans.

My current AMD based plan is listed below, but I am not afraid of going Intel if it makes sense for the future. I hope to build a machine that will last several years without the itch to upgrade.

Here is what I have so far:

Motherboard: Supermicro H8QG series board (Overclocking)
CPU: AMD Opteron 6366-6386 (November release?)
Heatsinks: What fits?
RAM: Low Latency? How Much? Specific Modules?
Chassis: Rackmounts? Caselabs? Pizza Box?
Software: Windows Server vs Linux?
GPU: Should I add some? Which ones?

Time for me to sit back and pour some Bourbon, makes the credit card get looser....

URL]

Several AMD 4p systems or a 4p intel?

*votes AMD* All the way.

You're only going to be able to OC Magny-Cours based chips (6100 series) AFAIK. Don't think you can OC with Intergalos, let alone the newer unreleased chips (but who knows these new chips will perform! Maybe they'll run as good if not better than OC'd MC). You said you like to get things a lil wet... sounds like you're going to be abused in IRC, hope your wallet likes you. ;)

Heatsinks: Cooler Master 212 Plus w/ custom mounting hardware are pretty common around here.

RAM: You're going to want 4 sticks per chip to get max performance (quad channel is supported)... so 16 sticks per machine. Fast CAS latencies is the name of the game for squeaking out the most performance out of each rig (besides OCing the CPUs of course). Hear some people can flash the ram w/ higher CAS settings so doesn't mean you gotta buy expensive stuff. (again, AFAIK).

Chassis: Wood. Metal. Get fancy :p

Software: Linux. Follow the ubuntu 10.10 guide if you must.

GPU: Nah. Well, if you want, that's up to you. Keep GPUs away from a 4p rig... build a dedicated GPU rig if you wanna mess around with that.

(have been doing a few random edits here and there.. refresh your page ;) ... have fun!)

Last edited:
As said above 61xx chips are the only OC option currently.

As far as price to preformance. A 4P intel will beat out a 4P AMD rig, but you could build 2 or 3 AMD rigs for the same price.

You are going to want a nice PSU. An AX1200 would be my suggestion.

Intergalos and future will not be able to be overclocked? That could definitely change my plan....

Intergalos and future will not be able to be overclocked? That could definitely change my plan....

"Not be" is a bit strong, not currently supported in the current custom BIOS would be how I would put it.

You may make someone's day with 63xx chips and willing to be a guinea pig.

Well, as far as I can tell you can't overclock the Intel E5-2600 more than 5-6% due to the Base clock restrictions.

Maybe the 10-15% generational performance improvement from Piledriver would be enough until someone like 'tear' comes out with a hacked BIOS for it. Could always start with one 4P and add a second one later when things sort out....

AMD and get thee to irc!

Server: irc.dp.cx
Port: 6667
Channel: #HardOCP

On first glance it looks like tear has plans to allow overclocking of Bulldozer and Piledriver on the same motherboard, allowing 6200 and 6300 CPU to pushed out of spec, good stuff....

Could someone explain why this is such good news? What does it mean?

Currently the 4P custom bios only works with 61xx G34 chips.

Tear said in that post that 62xx and 63xx chips can and will be supported in future versions on the bios and allow OCing of those chips.

As far as cases go... I would look at the guy here that sells those half naked boxes. Made from square aluminum and such. Can't think of his name at the moment... might be sportswood or something like that. But his boxes are wonderful

I screwed my SM directly to a 19" rack shelf, with 12mm nylon standoffs and run naked.

I vote a big old +1 for the G34 AMD route for a build today. With the help of many here at [H], a few months back I put together a 32M 4P 6176SE Ubuntu 10.10 folding monster OC'd to 230 refclock. Every single technical part of that previous sentence was influenced by [H] members that learned why each piece worked best the hard way: trial, error, time and cash.

When I (and others) have had stability problems, [H] was there on IRC talking me through troubleshooting and getting a result (tear, your ears should be burning). You will not find a more comprehensively knowledgeable, helpful group of people on the internet regarding a 4P folding build.

Open your wallet, listen to the experience of [H] and you too will fold [H]arder than you ever thought possible.

<Present, ARMS>
[H], I salute and thank you.
<Order, ARMS>

Hmm, that being said, AMD may not be developing CPUs much longer, http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...ls-16-fbr-bernstein-cut-to-hold-uninvestable/

Last edited:
I have used 80/20 aluminium in the past to build custom projects, I think I even have about 20 ft of it laying in the garage.

Rhaven, I could not agree more with you. Some of the stuff I see on this forum is straight ridiculous :eek:. I look forward to making my build list with the assistance of the 4P Mafia :D.

Without any further delay, here is today's agenda: PSU | RAM | SSD

PSU:
I am thinking a platinum efficiency Seasonic or Corsair, ±1000 watts?

RAM:
????

SSD:
Samsung 830 (Seems to be on fire sale lately)

URL]

People often recommend this RAM:

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLT2KIT2G3D1608DT1TX0

Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148488

$21.99 each if buy more than 2.

I think both AMD and Intel 4P are viable options (Intel's PPD/Watt is exceptional).
Note that multi-locked 6386 SEs are most likely to be sold at ~1500 (about same as intel's multi-
locked ES on fleabay).

If you're able to get a hold of multi-unlocked AMD ES chips (MC/IL/PD) -- more power to you.
Figuratively and literally -- :D

AMD system recommendations:

-&#8194;H8QGL (better power delivery than Gi/6)
-&#8194;DDR3-1600, CL8 (CL7/CL6 are hard to find nowadays), XMP profile, no more than 1.5V;
&#8194;&#8196;given you want to future-proof your system, 1866 may make sense for IL/PD (when
&#8194;&#8196;OCNG arrives)
-&#8194;muskymodded CM Hyper 212 EVO (or '+') or WC
-&#8194;any HDD
-&#8194;1200W+ PSU, single rail, avoid CoolerMaster; Corsair/OCZ/Seasonic are a-ok
-&#8194;For air cooling -- nekkid/spotswood's tray. In case of WC -- any case that can accommodate
&#8194;&#8196;the board (HAF-932 is a popular choice).
-&#8194;Linux (we've got excellent Ubuntu 10.10 guide)
-&#8194;No GPUs.

Done:
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR-3 1866 x 16 (Ordered)
Powersupply: Corsair AX1200 (Ordered)

Pending:
Motherboard: H8QGL (Ebay?)
Heatsinks: CM 212 EVO/+ or Noctua or OEM

Mentally Masturbating:
Hard Drive: Anyone using USB flash drives? :confused:
Case: 80/20 Extrusion frame vs 19U Rack Shelf vs 4U Chassis

Mobo: wirezone.com (H8QGL -iF+ ~ $640)
heatsink: CM 212 evo (refub.) at CM website for $19.99/each

Code:
http://www.cmstore-usa.com/hyper-212-evo-universal-direct-contact-heat-pipe-cpu-cooler-refurbished/

Done:

Mentally Masturbating:
Hard Drive: Anyone using USB flash drives? :confused:
Case: 80/20 Extrusion frame vs 19U Rack Shelf vs 4U Chassis

SSD. --->>> get a cheap one for $60.

Case. --->>> run it nekkid on the shelf.

Done:
Motherboard: H8QGL-iF (Ordered)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR-3 1866 x 16 (Ordered)
Powersupply: Corsair AX1200 (Ordered)
Heatsink: CM 212 Evo x 4 (Ordered)
SSD: Patriot 64 GB (Free)

Pending:
CPU: 16 Core CPU x 4, Model TBD.
Case: Still deciding.

'Sportswood'? Snicker... :D

I may be way off, but I thought a proper 4P setup pulls about 550w from the wall? I'm trying to find the PPD per watt link...

'Sportswood'? Snicker... :D

I may be way off, but I thought a proper 4P setup pulls about 550w from the wall? I'm trying to find the PPD per watt link...

A heavily overclock Magny-Cours machine running around 3Ghz on 48 cores can pull north of 1000W at the wall :p

I think stock clocked systems can hit in the 550W range, but I have not seen non-overclocked 4P's in a while lol.

A heavily overclock Magny-Cours machine running around 3Ghz on 48 cores can pull north of 1000W at the wall
1000W? Uh, not unless it's 6180s maxed out with voltage increases or ES chips that allow overvoltage. Otherwise, the usual is a 550-650 Watt range.

1000W? Uh, not unless it's 6180s maxed out with voltage increases or ES chips that allow overvoltage. Otherwise, the usual is a 550-650 Watt range.

I think the ES was implied.

I did say overclocked, and stated 3Ghz. If you have a 550-650W 48 core machine at 3Ghz I would love you know what magic is in play! I know a 2P at 3Ghz can be in that range.

Stock clocks will take much less.

I think both AMD and Intel 4P are viable options (Intel's PPD/Watt is exceptional).
Note that multi-locked 6386 SEs are most likely to be sold at ~1500 (about same as intel's multi-
locked ES on fleabay).

If you're able to get a hold of multi-unlocked AMD ES chips (MC/IL/PD) -- more power to you.
Figuratively and literally -- :D

AMD system recommendations:

-&#8194;H8QGL (better power delivery than Gi/6)
-&#8194;DDR3-1600, CL8 (CL7/CL6 are hard to find nowadays), XMP profile, no more than 1.5V;
&#8194;&#8196;given you want to future-proof your system, 1866 may make sense for IL/PD (when
&#8194;&#8196;OCNG arrives)
-&#8194;muskymodded CM Hyper 212 EVO (or '+') or WC
-&#8194;any HDD
-&#8194;1200W+ PSU, single rail, avoid CoolerMaster; Corsair/OCZ/Seasonic are a-ok
-&#8194;For air cooling -- nekkid/spotswood's tray. In case of WC -- any case that can accommodate
&#8194;&#8196;the board (HAF-932 is a popular choice).
-&#8194;Linux (we've got excellent Ubuntu 10.10 guide)
-&#8194;No GPUs.

I am going to have to agree with Tear here...
I have had the pleasure to play with a 4p 2011 rig across the summer and own a 4p 61xx es rigs... both very good ppd/w... I am extremely curious with what the future holds for the 63xx series.

I'm also very curious with the 63xx. Has anyone here got some 63xx chips from AMD for testing already? Please show some results. :D
I remember the PPD result for 4p E5-4650 was posted here several days before it released.

I am extremely curious with what the future holds for the 63xx series.

Last edited:
If you have a 550-650W 48 core machine at 3Ghz
OK, I see your point: If it's at 3GHz, then yeah, one must assume it has a nice voltage boost. :)

OK, I see your point: If it's at 3GHz, then yeah, one must assume it has a nice voltage boost. :)

Most of the retail 6180's in a GL board will do 2.8+. There are very few AMD G34 systems out there with ES chips. So I was working on the assumption of no voltage increase.

In my estimation, if you want the power draw of a 4p 6100 @ 3.0GHz to be around 600W when folding, the vcore should be set to as low as ~1.000V.
I think this is impossible, but it might be possible for 4p 6200 (with very small possibility).

Most of the retail 6180's in a GL board will do 2.8+. There are very few AMD G34 systems out there with ES chips. So I was working on the assumption of no voltage increase.

Back