Project pDat (uDat clone!)

PoW

Limp Gawd
After being inspired by mashie's Project uDat, I decided I had to make my own version! I started with many of the same parts as mashie and here is a log of my work so far!

Objectives:
-Small form factor
-Gigabytes a plenty
-Sleek appearance

img19081ph.jpg

This is where I started, this is the initial coat of black paint on the custom Aluminum 6061-T6 face plate:

img18431ly.jpg

Here is my custom front panel after being cut from some Aluminum 6061-T6 1mm sheet. I have spent many hours honing this thing to fit quite nicely as it does now. Being that I'm not the dremel master I could only hope to be, it took me much longer than it probably should have. No matter, it is done now. I am following linear's painting guide and will give it a sanding with 600 grit and apply the second color coat later tonight.

img18469aw.jpg

After a bit of cutting and grinding the Morex Venus this is what I am left with. The AMS hotswap bay that I picked up from directron has a bunch of activity LED's that will look pretty sweet I think.

img18470uv.jpg

I have a key on/off switch for the computer and you can see the cutout in the frame for it. I plan to epoxy the finished aluminum front to the plastic piece you see here.

img18489oc.jpg

Inside side view

img18496hv.jpg

Inside top view

img18510ae.jpg

Back view of the hotswap device, that little fan pushes quite a bit of air but is very noisy, until I get the drives I wont really know if all that is necessary. I hope not because it will add a ton of noise. Very nice little drive bay, you get what you pay for I guess ($$$).

img18520hf.jpg

Front in all its glory

So thats all for now, I am getting a Shuttle SB52G2 basically it is a socket 478 board for basic server stuff like this. One neat feature is 2 Lan jacks one is gigabit too :) Not sure what cpu im gonna get yet but i want it to be not to hot, i was thinking a celeron. I plan to get 512 megs of ram.

I still need to get a Raidcore 4852, I plan to do the same Raid 5 setup mashie did, however I think I'm going to do it with 5x250gb sata drives so I have a full terabyte :D

Thats all for now...
(edit: image host changed & status added)

Cool, should work out better then Mashies (performance wise) since your not using an EPIA board.

Im having one hell of a time figuring out exactly what cpu and type of ram to get. First the easy part, the ram I was thinking about some 512megs of ddr400 crucial stuff. I have seen so many mixed numbers regarding this chipset and board my head is spinning.

Is ddr400 over kill, shuttle suggests the board only supports ddr266 but then on a pdf spec sheet for the same board they say ddr333...ARGGGG :confused:

Next is the cpu, so if i get a 800fsb 2.4c will it run slower than 2.4ghz because the board only supports 533fsb? If this is true should I get a 533fsb chip? I want to avoid the prescott core if possible. One thing I do know for sure is that this board supports hyperthreading, the only 533fsb chip that supports hyperthreading is the 3.06 p4. I dont think I need all that speed and it is more $$ than I want to spend, should I go with a 800fsb p4 w/ ht like the 2.4c I mentioned above?

Woowee this is confusing :(

Memory:
Does it really matter? If you get the PC3200 stuff it'll just run at PC2100 speed, not big deal and it means you can reuse it later on anyways.

CPU:
If you get a 800FSB and your board only goes as high as 533 then yeah the 800FSB CPU will run slower. Newegg has several P4s with a 533FSB so go over there and check them out.

get DDR400, it's not much different in price compared to DDR333 or DDR266, and will work fine.
If your mobo only supports FSB533 cpus, get one of these ( P4B ) and not a P4C, otherwise the CPU will run at a much lower speed than spec'd, thus ruining the point of having it.

Alright few updates, I put on the second coat of black moments ago and its looking very nice! I plan to give it a 3rd coat of black on friday, then two clear coats sunday and finally all the finishing touches on monday. Of course nothing goes as planned...

Anyhow, I also decided on a cpu and ram, the Corsair Value Select 512 PC3200 will do the job just right. I have also decided on going with a P4 2.4B 533fsb. I have not figured out the heatsink situation yet because my mom wont let me see the mobo until christmas hehehe

So until then I dont really know if I have any height limitations :rolleyes: hehe oh well.

watercool it;)

that'll solve height problems (as long as you use a low-profile waterblock) plus it would add to the cool factor and make it much quieter than a 1u heatsink (they rely on high-rpm fans for the most part)

good luck and have fun.

.....now that would be sweet :p

Only to figureout how the hell to fit that into the case

Have you seen mashie's setup, there is absolutely no room for anything extra in there. the difference with mine though is that I believe I wont have to use a pci riser meaning the sata raid card wont be in the way of anything. Even so, I still dont think any of these smaller watercooling setups would fit :(

Update 12/26
Mobo & Painting Galore!

Starting off with the bad news, I was sanding smooth the 3rd coat of black paint and broke through to metal DOH! Needless to say, coat 4 was just applied and is drying. I hope this is my last color coat! The clear coat im using only requires 30 minutes before being fully dry so I should be able to apply two solid clear coats and sand them smooth in a single day. Once this color coat is dry 48 hours from now hopefully this will be the case!

img18753tg.jpg

On to more interesting news, I received the motherboard on christmas!

It is really perfect, however it doesn't have quite the clearance I need, a conservative estimate is that I have 52mm of clearance for the heatsink. This rules out many standard desktop sinks. I have located a nice model from coolermaster however, it is very quiet and happens to be exactly 50mm tall with the fan, it is called the Vortex Dream.

img18771vy.jpg

:rolleyes:

Another interesting challenge has also come up, in order to mount a pci card vertically without a riser (which would not be possible anyhow because of the cpu sink) I will need to come up with my own motherboard mounts. The back plate will also be completely custom. Anybody had to create custom backplates before?

img18786ap.jpg

I was thinking of sacrificing a few unused backplates and combining them into one that will work.

The motherboard mounts because of the thickness of the metal I dont think the standard threaded screw option will work, instead I believe I will bolt the mobo in place, using a bolt coming up from the bottom, a spacer will be used to elevate the board a proper height, then a washer and nut will secure the board in place. First however I will need to put the dremel to work and remove the stock mounts.

img18798jn.jpg

No work tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to track down the parts for this mobo mounting challenge.

All for now...
(edit: image host changed)

PoW,
looking great bro. I have an extra SK41G sitting here.. hmm, maybe I dould build a storage box too.
Hey, about the cooling. Why not use the Shuttle .I.C.E. cooler? It will fit just fine like that. Are you using the space in the rear?
I have an extra ICE cooler I'd be happy to send ya. Just pay for shipping and it's yours.

Thanks for the offer typhoon! That opening in the back is taken up fully by the psu, oh well. I can always go with a 1U server heatsink.

The painted front has had its final clear coat applied, it will need to dry for a bit of time before i apply the final sand finish etc process on it.

img18815nd.jpg

img18821lg.jpg

I crafted a cool mounting system and had to cut some custom screws to match but after all the work the mobo mounts to the case properly.

no reason you can't make a new opening (in the side, perhaps)

good luck finding a heatsink...

and no one said it had to all stay internal;)

Happy New Year! Update:
Hope everybody had a nice new year!

The paint job is done and I am very happy with how it turned out. The modding on this case is coming to a close. A P4 2.4B, Cooler master Vortex Dream (and lower profile fan), and 512megs of some corsair 3200 ram are on order from newegg. The five SATA drives and SATA raid controller are waiting for my bank account to get a bit of an infusion :rolleyes: Anyhow here are a few sweet shots of how everything has turned out:

img19081ph.jpg

img19067rl.jpg

img19101sf.jpg

I can see myself hehe

The CPU/RAM and heatsink have all arrived and have been installed. The system is working quite well with just the perfect amount of clearance between the heatsink and the sata drive bay. However I have run into one problem. Heat...

I scrounged up some PATA drives that I am running in the SATA Hotswap device, how you ask? Well I removed the back portion of the SATA Hotswap bay that makes it a SATA hotswap bay, unfortunantly this means the fan is gone as well. (Temp method of using comp before I can afford SATA controller and drives). After running the system for 2-3 days straight I shutdown the box and removed one of the drives and it was EXTREMELY hot, burning to the touch....not good!

I really want to use the comp but not with these unreasonable heat issues. Currently Im running 4 drives, I'm thinking about only running 1 and see how much that reduces the generated heat. There is no room to rig up another fan. Im thinking this box will be even more neutered until I can get a SATA controller and drives.

Its not for sale sorry :)

In fact I am still awaiting the funds to purchase the SATA drives and controller. It is currently working quite well with four PATA drives installed despite some minor heat issues due to the removed Harddisk cooling fan which had to be removed inorder to fit the PATA drives.

In a related thread I am trying to figure out the most efficent method of managing this box. I would very much like to have a web interface of sorts for total remote management and VNC tends to munch up system resources while running which I very much dislike. Anyhow here is the thread if anybody is interested: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=859379

I have also changed the image host for all the images here to a more reliable source (aka my own server) so hopefully they will be up a bit more.

Ya I was rearranging my room today and the server got unplugged sorry!

5/18/05 Update!

So a few months have gone by since uDat was put together, I'm happy to report it is running quite nicely with 3 IDE drives rigged into the SATA Hotswap bay. I finally have an idea of when the drives and SATA controller will be within grasp. I'm guessing around the first of July (first summer paycheck) will be the big day this thing reaches full capacity.

As I have said before, It will be running a flavor of linux (probably debian, maybe Fedora). The empty space will be setup as a samba share and will be a network mapped drive on my primary windows boxes. Most importantly however, I will be running the linux version of torrentflux. I have been running the windows version since January and it is one hell of a program. The linux version is developed a bit more heavily so there is much I'm missing out on and am very excited to try.

As a side note a new mod, macMp3 (working name) is in the works. It is still in the planning phase but as soon has I have more tangible evidence of the mod I'll start its own thread. It will be a cool new twist on the dedicated mp3 box.

Until the summer...

Wanted to ask where you got the motherboard from, I'm having trouble sourcing one, Im still debating whether I want this or an SS40 (since I have the CPU) I think these are the only 2 Shuttle boards with Dual PCI slots. Currently my own project Fdat is coming to a close, just waiting for the custom front panel to come back (working with thin gauge aluminum is not easy, I destroyed mine)

Back