Project Orange Fish

aznofazns

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone!

This will be my first major casemod, unless you count the simple side panel window I built for my case a couple years ago. :p

Let's get right to it with the components:

Lian Li Rocketfish full tower case
Core i7 970
Prolimatech Megahalems
Asus Sabertooth X58
Sapphire HD6950 unlocked
3x2GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 C7
2x WD Caviar Blue 640GB in RAID 0
Lite-On DVD burner
Seasonic X-650
Bunch of Xigmatek XLF-F1253 orange fans

Here's what I'll be modding:

1) Sleeve the power supply, USB cables, front panel cables, and fans using MDPC-X sleeving. The sleeves will primarily be black with some UV orange highlights here and there.

2) Cut cable management holes into the motherboard tray.

3) Sandblast the interior of the case and spray paint it black. I may also consider anodizing. Right now I'm undecided/need to do more research on this. Suggestions are welcome.

4) Cut a hole in the top panel to fit a 360mm radiator for my future WC setup. I'm planning on using my Xigmatek fans on the rad in push/pull. Should go very nicely with the orange/black sleeving. :)

5) Figure out a good way to get balanced UV lighting within my case, probably with LED's. Possibly also paint the red stripes on my HD6950 UV orange.

6) Buy a new side panel so I can redo the window entirely. My hope is that I'll be able to cut a clean rectangular window that will allow me to mount a piece of smoked acrylic on the outside of the panel.

7) Stealth the DVD drive and remove ugly stickers on front panel (not sure what I was thinking).

Here's a fairly recent picture of my setup before any modding:

p1080780.jpg

I've only recently started sleeving the PSU. Being a newbie to sleeving, I found it to be a true test of my dexterity as well as patience when I began. De-pinning the cables is by far the most annoying thing I've ever done with my computer. Heatshrinking is also pretty difficult to get perfect.

Here are a couple pictures of what I've accomplished so far:

p1080824z.jpg

p1080822b.jpg

I'm too embarrassed to take close-ups of the heatshrink because I did just an awful job. I'm going to redo it this weekend probably. I'll post more pics then. :D

More pics of current state. You can see how badly my case needs cable management holes. I plan on sleeving the two Kaze Masters' temp probes too if I have enough sleeving.

p1080825k.jpg

p1080826o.jpg

p1080828t.jpg

p1080829.jpg

p1080830.jpg

p1080831.jpg

Here are a couple macro shots of the sleeving on my 8-pin CPU power cable. The heatshrink is sooo difficult to get perfect. I may end up redoing it later on.

p1080833z.jpg

p1080834j.jpg

Finished about half of my 2nd pair of 6+2pin PCIe power cables. The heatshrink was done much better this time and the de-pinning took WAY less time. Practice makes perfect!

p1080839.jpg

p1080840.jpg

p1080841y.jpg

Finished sleeving the 8-pin CPU power cable. No cable management holes means I have to route it across the entire motherboard. I'm almost done with my 2nd pair of 6+2 pin PCIe cables. Then I'll probably work on the front panel USB cables and fans.

p1080845.jpg

p1080844d.jpg

2nd pair of PCIe cables done. I really, really hated sleeving the PSU side because there are pairs of ground wires that have to fit into one hole in the connector. Trying to use heatshrink designed for a single wire on two wires is really hard. The sleeves popped out of the heatshrink like a billion times so a lot of heatshrink was wasted. Take a look:

p1080846o.jpg

The graphics card side turned out decent though:

p1080847s.jpg

Got my Lian Li C-02B 5.25" Bezel today! Looks pretty slick IMO.

p1080849.jpg

Empty packaging. :p

p1080852y.jpg

Looks great installed. Aluminum finish matches the case.

p1080853t.jpg

Uh oh... the two "bumps" on either side of the bezel are too steep for my drive to slide over when closing. So the drive just gets stuck there, tries closing a 2nd time, then gives up and opens again. :rolleyes: It's a not a big issue since I hardly ever use the DVD drive. I only got the bezel for its looks. :cool:

Note: everything I've posted up to this point has just been copied and pasted from the worklog I posted on overclock.net. From now on I'll continue updating both threads separately.

Seems like lots of "extra" fans in the case, any of those improve temps significantly?
(I have the same case and was astonished by the poor airflow before switching to water)

Seems like lots of "extra" fans in the case, any of those improve temps significantly?
(I have the same case and was astonished by the poor airflow before switching to water)

The black fan on top of the HDD bay helps suck cold air from the 120mm front intake and pushes it onto the graphics card. The top 120mm intake pushes air into the CPU heatsink. I haven't measured what the temperature difference is, but they definitely help when the side panels are on. Once I get watercooling I'll take both of those fans off.

ROCKETFISH!!! Sweet case man. Got one myself, its just been sitting in the basement for 3 years now. Was only used for one month, then I had to sell my rig. :( Anyway, I also have been scheming to mod my case, I got sum pretty sick ideas. :D

I just ordered a Gigabyte HD6950 2GB for Crossfire. The sleeving should look pretty spiffy on two matching cards. :)

Now I'm wondering how I should route the PCIe cables. Because of my mobo's PCIe slots, I have to stack the two cards directly on top of each other with no space in between. Should I just pull all 4 6-pin cables below the 2nd card and into a hole on the mobo tray?

I did a quick diagram in paint:

p1080854.jpg

The orange box is supposed to be the 2nd card. The yellow arrows represent the possible route for the cables, and the yellow box is a hypothetical hole cut into the mobo tray. Do you guys think this would look the best? Or should I pull the cables to the right side?

Btw, ignore the sleeved 8-pin CPU power cable stuck behind the graphics card. It's only there temporarily until I cut cable management holes.

Uh oh... the two "bumps" on either side of the bezel are too steep for my drive to slide over when closing. So the drive just gets stuck there, tries closing a 2nd time, then gives up and opens again. :rolleyes: It's a not a big issue since I hardly ever use the DVD drive. I only got the bezel for its looks. :cool:

you're suppose to remove the cover from the edge of the drive. The bezel around is optional...

Back