Project Om custom case and computer in 8 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol tell me why i was just about to ask him how much the mod cost this guy? I am curious as well, i wouldve charged atleast $150 for the time and effort of this

A quick note: i apologize for not getting these postings up till now but it took two all nighters to get it completed and i was just to exhasted to post so without further ado on with the show...

Day 7 busting ass

Day 7 went very well got a lot done and got a lot of things ironed out so on with the pics right... here you go...

so a few posts up i mentioned a disaster right... well the problem is there were some minor holes in my outer coating on fire and earth so when we went to paint into the 3rd coat it started melting on me.... :mad: :mad: :( so ... both ended up haveing to be remade go figure at the last two days let this serve as a leson just because your in a hurry doesn't mean you should rush shit that can't be...

omday7037.jpg

omday7030.jpg

and fire only got worse

So the Om finally made it onto the right side panel heres a few pics of the pattern traced on...
omday7002.jpg

omday7003.jpg

Trace on metal of the Wind symbol since the original kinda self destructed.
omday7004.jpg

The design phase and printing it out
omday7005.jpg

Got the blow hole cut out.
omday7006.jpg

Back to wind...
Cutting the sheet aluminum (and yes you finally get to see the man behind the mod since we have a stand in photo man today my long time friend and ass saver... Randomosity)
omday7007.jpg

Quick shot of the original wind symbol to compare unfortunatly this is the last time it was intact and you can even see the lines where it's breaking..
omday7008.jpg

Cutting the wind... Lots of pics Rand liked the sparks...
omday7009.jpg

Back to the elements
Got the base coating on
omday7016.jpg

omday7024.jpg

Temple coming along
Top after bondo was sanded
omday7017.jpg

front finally coming along.. shapped..
omday7019.jpg

The top shapped roughly
omday7020.jpg

Another coat of bondo
omday7021.jpg

sanded and stacked
omday7022.jpg

omday7023.jpg

Time for a break for food... who can identify it... great meal time entertainment.
omday7027.jpg

the answer in the next days posting

Temple facade bondoed and sanded AGAIN
omday7029.jpg

Finally getting to the base color coats

Water
omday7031.jpg

Wind
omday7032.jpg
"

Then the temples final sanding
omday7033.jpg

omday7034.jpg

Picture of the metal wind plate and the shapped "tyres"
omday7035.jpg

Wind in place
omday7036.jpg

And finally the replacements for Earth and Fire
omday7039.jpg

omday7018.jpg

omday7040.jpg

omday7001.jpg

great modding, keep the pics coming until the very end! i want to see the look on his face when he gets the case!!

did you have mountain dew and ________ or just mountain dew?

looking good... i'd agree with the "not rushing" thing. i've screwed up enough stuff (not necessarily case mods, but just in general) by rushing things that shouldn't have been.

good luck finishing it!

Great work, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Time for a break for food... who can identify it... great meal time entertainment.

It's GIR from Invader Zimm. Hilarious show, and looks great on a side window :D

GIR2.jpg

Ok guys, cut the crap, I don't give a shit of what you think how other modders look like.

The mod is turning out great btw.

Yeah so i finally have gotten back to posting this i do apologize for the wait as soon as i got off this project and got it where it was going i got another to do. so i'm posting in the wait time. Here goes...

Day 8 LAST DAY of the build was hectic as all hell... hence... A LOT GOT DONE.
So on to the pics

Got the right side panels Om etched in...
omday8001.jpg

As well as Wind etched into the front plexi piece.
omday8002.jpg

The metal plate i was working on used as template...
omday8003.jpg

Time for PAINT.... Primer coats on EVERYTHING
Earth
omday8004.jpg

Temple Black
omday8005.jpg

Water and Wind
omday8006.jpg

Fire
omday8007.jpg

More temple parts... white
omday8008.jpg

Second coat of actual base color on most of the pieces
Earth
omday8009.jpg

Underside of the temple black
omday8010.jpg

Water Another Base coat
omday8011.jpg

Fire Base Red
omday8012.jpg

Air (wind) base coat white
omday8013.jpg

Underside and base coat temple white
omday8014.jpg

Starting the actual color coats on all of them...
In this picture you can kinda see the color change effect on the water
Dual color paint goes on all the elements unfortunatly cameras can't pick this effect up very well so heres the run down
Wind - Green/Silver w White Base
Water -Purple/Blue w Black Base
Earth - Blue/Red w White and Silver Base
Fire - Magenta/Gold w Red and Gold Base
omday8015.jpg

Water the blue comes out really nice in this pic and yes there are a few grey highlights in there but they aren't nearly as profound in Person i think the flash picked them up to much.
omday8016.jpg

Wind A few grey shadows in the cracks just to give a little more depth
omday8017.jpg

Red hasn't made it to the final dual color yet but heres a few of the gold highlights
omday8018.jpg

omday8019.jpg

Water trying to catch the purple but getting blue again
omday8020.jpg

Time for the blowhole well to keep the Zen gardens sand out of the box and in the garden
omday8021.jpg

Top view you can see how it encompasses the fan hole made brick by brick.
omday8022.jpg

Back to paint here you can see the begin of the dual color on the fire gold comes out really nice
omday8023.jpg

Earth first coat just darkens it with a little more shine to it
omday8024.jpg

Water getting close to final coating
omday8025.jpg

Wind you can see a little of the green and a lot of the silver
omday8026.jpg

Front metal plate all polished up and looking good
omday8027.jpg

omday8028.jpg

Testing the diffusion of the light on the etch for the front panel yes i know the blue looks good but red is going in later it's just a test.
omday8030.jpg

omday8031.jpg

two pieces put together
omday8032.jpg

Test fit of all to make sure everything is still working right
omday8033.jpg

omday8034.jpg

Front plate in place
omday8035.jpg

Looks good if you ask me
omday8036.jpg

So another problem i had was i ordered YELLOW Cold cathodes and they sent me these looks pretty white to me.... so i went through all the people to get them replaced and returned blah blah guess what they sent to replace them THE SAME WHITE LIGHTS...So screw it lets make our own
omday8037.jpg

Run to the hobby store pick up some supplies and poof one light is yellow
omday8038.jpg

Poof now the white lights they seem to think are yellow ARE yellow and i can use them
omday8039.jpg

Have to do something about this power supply its a mess
omday8040.jpg

And about 20 minutes later how nice a themed, sleeved, nice, and tidy power supply
omday8041.jpg

Top cover for the zen garden cut the well painted and the top repainted
omday8042.jpg

Time to start on a little extra for this box considering the guy is a smoker and musician i figured while sitting there editing a song he'd probably want a smoke now and then right... so why make him have to search for a lighter.... screw paying 20-30 bucks for one lets make our own...
Base hole cut
omday8043.jpg

test fit it in there... looks perfect
omday8044.jpg

Wire that baby up and poof one instant press and pull computer lighter so he'll never have to leave his chair.
omday8045.jpg

Line for cutting since i need to get the red light through to the right side panel and it won't fit between the mobo tray and the side panel so we fix it.
omday8046.jpg

Starting the wiring on the front plate to get some light in there and make the thing glow.
omday8049.jpg

Ahh yes the etching on the Zen garden Almost forgot those pics
omday8052.jpg

Love
omday8053.jpg

Honor
omday8054.jpg

And of course i have to sign it too... Black CaT
omday8055.jpg

the Red lights given a coating of red to try and make them more red than pink.
omday8060.jpg

Get the power supply wire all bundled together increase airflow and just make it look a little better
omday8061.jpg

Light it up
omday8062.jpg

omday8063.jpg

omday8065.jpg

And you all get to wait a little longer for the finished pics

That looks incredible! Really great job.
Did you put a fuse inline to the cigarette lighter? Might be a good idea...

is that a plastic bay cover? i have a bit of a premonition that it might melt where the lighter is mounted if it is, and melting plastic is not a good thing

no the lighter doesn't produce as much heat as you might think and please no comments about the heat it generates i already took that into consideration. The fan directly behind it pulls out the heat as it's produced makeing it cool to the tough in about 3 seconds after the lighter has poped

looks good but i think you should not just leave the huge bunddle of wires out in the open. You should hide them and what not and it would look alot better. But the rest looks great.

actually turn out i ended up doing the entire process again to a diffrent PSU for the simple fact that the other one stopped working on me no obvious reason as of yet but a lot less clutter with the new one.

working on the final pictures right now cropping and resizing and such. relax no coverup or changes to the actual box. so i should have the final pics up for everyone later today. keep an eye out and thanks for the support.

So finally i have gotten around to posting these pictures after it's been done for over 2 weeks. but here we go...

First lets start out with a nice mood picture...
omfinal006.jpg

and poof let there be light..
omfinal009.jpg

I think you've all watched the worklog and if you haven't just go back over the previous posts from this point i will let the pictures speak there words...

omfinal011.jpg

omfinal2001.jpg

omfinal2002.jpg

omfinal2003.jpg

omfinal2007.jpg

omfinal2009.jpg

omfinal2010.jpg

Cig pack stash spot
omfinal2012.jpg

Ash tray
omfinal2013.jpg

omfinal2014.jpg

omfinal2015.jpg

omfinal2016.jpg

omfinal2018.jpg

omfinal2019.jpg

omfinal2022.jpg

omfinal2025.jpg

omfinal2026.jpg

omfinal2020.jpg

omfinal2021.jpg

omfinal2027.jpg

omfinal2028.jpg

omfinal2030.jpg

omfinal2031.jpg

omfinal3001.jpg

omfinal3005.jpg

omfinal3006.jpg

omfinal3008.jpg

omfinal3009.jpg

omfinal3010.jpg

omfinal3015.jpg

omfinal3016.jpg

omfinal3017.jpg

omfinal3019.jpg

omfinal3022.jpg

omfinal3024.jpg

omfinal3025.jpg

So there you have it lots of pictures of the end result. The guy i made it for LOVED it and sat there for a few hours staring at it while we chit chatted constatly saying things along the lines of... "This is mine.."

Over all the time limit was tight for this level of custom but honestly i could have used the time a lot better than i did. this was quickly followed by another that i will begin posting in soon that i only ended up with 5 days to complete. so thank you all for your support through this project and lets end it with probably one of my favorit shots of this case.

omfinal2032.jpg

Oh yes and a quick comparison to see where it came from...
original.jpg

omfinal2032.jpg

very cool mod, i just read through the entire thread before posting this and it is always fun to see the progression of a full case mod. The only thing that i would have done differently on this mod is paint the front of the case a nice dark red coor insted of leaving it white.

i really like the detail on the element's pieces (wind earth fire etc.) very original and unique mod. i like it! keep up the good work!

maybe your next project should be washing and waxing your pontiac though ;) (fellow pontiac driver)

That is very AWESOME!
I love what you turned that bland case into!

I need to clean up the various fan wires in my CM Stacker and I want to do it right.
Q: What did you use to sleeve your wires?
Please PM me with the Answer.

compslckr said:
maybe your next project should be washing and waxing your pontiac though ;) (fellow pontiac driver)

LOL yeah probly should huh looking pretty bad... damn winter snow

So with this project completed i've posted some new updates on High octane that i think you will all like check it out :D Here

Interesting. Neat design
I like that idea of the case window looking like it should have rice paper windows

What is that blue stuff you were working with in the beginning to make the parts to it?

I like how you used the foam to make all those little additions and I love the hidden ash tray.

One of a kind, but i dont know what is with the sig. lighter you a hardcore smoker or what...?

Good Work

the person that now owns it is a musicain and plans to use the computer for such and is a smoker so i thought it would be much easier in the middle of a song to pop the lighter in rather than searching for one.

BlackCat - I PMed you, but I guess I can ask here as well.

How did you paint the styrofoam? Did you cover it in something first so that it would not melt?

I absolutley love the zen gaden on top. Very Awesome Idea. I might have to steal that idea myself :p . naaa I dont have anything to use it on yet, need to start another mod soon...

But anyways, great work.

BlackCat said:
the person that now owns it is a musicain and plans to use the computer for such and is a smoker so i thought it would be much easier in the middle of a song to pop the lighter in rather than searching for one.

That is tight.. again good work

First let me say flat out that no this isn't exactly my style but it was what he wanted so i worked with it the best i could. as for the lighter you know what if he uses it great (which he has raved about it many times) if not he can always pop it out of there. and the top of the "Ice" which is actually crystalin is painted but with the color changing paint it's hard as hell to capture the color with a camera.

my next mod is going to be to put a cigarette lighter in my case!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back