Project MyLi

malicious

Supreme [H]ardness
Before I get started I'd like to thank my lovely wife who puts up with me spending money and time on my hobby of case modding. :)

About a week ago I saw a Lian Li Rocketfish on Ebay for $63 bucks. What a bargain for a Lian Li full tower! I named her MyLi since it's my first Lian Li case.

I'm borrowing a lot of my mods from excellent Rocktfish projects like ELITE and Dark Desire.

Mod Plan:

Top: custom 4x120mm grill including brushed copper elements
this is to prepare the top for a Quad TFC Xchanger or a GTX480 radiator in the future

Front: removal of stock panels to paint/powder the silver door frame / custom cutouts with brushed copper underlay elements

Interior: black powder coat (perhaps black AND copper colored powder)

Interior: create partition between psu/hdd area and mobo/drive bay section - brushed copper partition

side panel: two cutouts - top cutout will be real glass - bottom cutout will be black acrylic and/or brushed copper

Here's what I've done so far. Excuse the mess, we're painting.:rolleyes:

Disassembly
partsua2.jpg

parts2vb9.jpg

parts3gi4.jpg

Bought some new goodies including a rivet tool! ;)
parts4rd4.jpg

At the recommendation of my wife I bought an organizer for the parts that were flying off!
parts5bc2.jpg

Bake for 2 minutes at 200F :D
door2lh7.jpg

door3tt2.jpg

door4mz1.jpg

Copper sheet for the partition. Notice the slight factory grain
copper1yp3.jpg

Starting to brush it with my ghetto fabulous metal brush tool
copper2ht1.jpg

This is how it turned out - dead sexy
copper3qk8.jpg

That's a very good deal.

I paid $650 for a 4'x8'x1/8" sheet.

[edit] lol, I wrote 4"x8", I meant 4'x8' ... but when you're spending about $10,000 and over 700hrs on a mod, no details can be spared. ;) [/edit]

I was gonna say.. $650 for a sheet for a $63 case. That brushed copper is nice.

hehe. I seen these rocketfish on ebay cheap too. Nice mod log you got going on.

working out the powder coating

working out the partition placement and brackets

thinking about making some cuts but got some other stuff to do today....

Good to see you've started working on yours, I will be looking forward to results!

thanks ... i'm going to make a little video about how i brushed it so people can do their own

it's not rocket science but i did learn a couple tips so it should be helpful for some....

well i got some decent holes cut for the fans/rad but i ended up slaughtering the fan screw hole placement so i'll have to figure something out about the top... i wish they freakin made a 4x120 radgrill ... why they hell don't they ... i sent kikboxes an email a week ago and no response....

radholes2bz6.jpg

radholes1fh0.jpg

Your best bet is to get a custom piece of smoked black plexiglass... Cut it to the size of what the radgrill *should* be... Mount it on top, then dril a few mounting holes through both it and the top of the case...

Mount it UNDER the holes in the case, and cut your holes through the plexi (since you're drilling through the plexi, use the case holes as a guide)

Then mount it back on top after you're done, since they're now guaranteed to line up properly...

Then take it off, and drill the proper mounting holes right in it, for the radiator... Mount it on top of the case, use those mounting holes as guides for drilling through the case, and mount it all together:

Steps.jpg

It'll look wicked if you round the edges and polish them... And you can even light it with orange SMD LED's or something to go with the whole copper theme :)

Just a suggestion.

sadly this project is on hold.... I've decided not to build a new rig at this time...

too much other "grown up" stuff going to be playin around in here...

to be continued...

Back