• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project: Mechanoid (gets a update) ***56k warning!***

NukeULater

Gawd
Joined
Sep 12, 2006
Messages
917
Some of you might of seen my first mod ever. I've been using it a lot recently and it was starting to look boring. So I'm going to rebuild it from scratch.

Heres what I started with, thats already after modding. It was all beige...
NukeULatersPics042.jpg

NukeULatersPics031.jpg


Then it went to this.
NukeULatersPics357.jpg

NukeULatersPics359.jpg


And so I start again! First thing on the list is to clean up the cables. I'n going to cut by those red marks.
ProjectMechanoid_6.jpg

ProjectMechanoid_7.jpg


You will see where this is going... Yes I reversed the hard drives all the cables now stick out the front of the case.
ProjectMechanoid_8.jpg



New power switch, is on it's way to. One day this case will be used for a server. So I went with a locking switch, thats mounted on the back of the case.
ProjectMechanoid_4.jpg


The place to mount it, it was once where a speaker was mounted. It's also going to be the place for the CCL switches.
ProjectMechanoid_2.jpg


I used a .75 inch spade bit to cut the hole.
ProjectMechanoid_3.jpg

ProjectMechanoid_5.jpg



The new wire management... The hard drives are reversed it the photos. Ignore the CCL wires they will be hidden later.
ProjectMechanoid_9.jpg

ProjectMechanoid_10.jpg


And I also frosted the side window...
ProjectMechanoid_1.jpg



More to come! I'd like to here what you thing about it.
 
lloking nice.

BUT DAMN THAT THING IS DUSTY!!
Thanks for the compliment Scotty_SFF. I know it's really dusty, but it will be cleaned up soon. I'm going to cut out the 92mm front fan and I'm then going to install a 120mm. It should really blow so air.
 
it's called an orbital sander.
Your getting hotter... It was a angle grinder, with a 220 grit disk. Since to case is steel it needed to be sealed, otherwise it would rust.

I'm going to add a momentary switch to, the keyswitch will only cut the power to the main switch.

Does anyone know where to get 1/2 inch black plexiglass cheap? I found a place online but for a 2' X 2' sheet it was $90. That's way to much for me.
 
I was out shopping today... No not for shoes... For modding parts. Anyway I bought these.

Heatshrink tubing
ProjectMechanoid_13.jpg


I also bought four of these solid steel casters, even the wheels are metal. I got all of them for about $10... So not to bad. They match the finish really good to...
ProjectMechanoid_11.jpg

ProjectMechanoid_12.jpg
 
Thats one hot machine. I'm looking forward to what happens next :D


By the way, what is your new rig going to be? do you have another worklog?
 
Thats one hot machine. I'm looking forward to what happens next :D

By the way, what is your new rig going to be? do you have another worklog?
Thank's Black-Tom...

I'll be getting my new rig as soon as my parents order the parts. I'm 17 so no credit card:eek:. I really hope it's soon...
 
Yeah, know all about that. I have money set aside for this thing, but I can't buy it because of the lack of a credit card.
 
A bit more of a update, the wheels are on now (although temporarily attached). I need to buy some 1/4 inch bolts.

ProjectMechanoid_15.jpg

ProjectMechanoid_14.jpg

ProjectMechanoid_16.jpg


The case stands about 20 inches tall now. It's a large case for only having 4 drive bays!
 
I just finished the power switch, I soldered it three times to get it right. I wasn't happy with the way it looked the first time. This is the first time I've used heat shrink tubing, and man is that stuff awesome! It looks so clean compared to electrical tape... Anyway I'll get some pics of it installed soon.

ProjectMechanoid_17.jpg

ProjectMechanoid_18.jpg
 
Okay, a bit of a update! I added two 92mm blowholes. To cool the new hard drive rack that I'm going to install soon.

Yes, I know the first pic sucks...
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
 
Oh. My. God.

I wish I had a drill press and/or a mill...

But anyways, looks pretty good.

Might want to work on the cable management a little more. A couple holes might do some good on the motherboard tray, along with longer IDE cables for cable-gami and some black/blue/whatever color you want cable sleeving for those power cables.
 
Back
Top