Project: MDPC WannaBe

Hello all!

I'm putting together a new system, and performing some minor modifications. The mods may not be worth a worklog. However, I figured if I started a worklog I will be held accountable for actually finishing the project and such. I'm also hoping it ends up looking good enough to be worthy of a work log by the end.

I'm calling this project MDPC WannaBe (Million Dollar PC WannaBe) because, though I won't come even close to the caliber of the builds on the MDPC website, I'm using this build to try.

With this build I'm also doing something I've never done before... building an Intel system. I've always built with AMD for money reasons. However, now that I have a steady income, and my wife's blessing (yay!) I will be building an Intel system. I still did not go all out like I wanted, but I believe it is still a good build.

Specs:
-Intel Core i7 920
-ASUS P6T Motherboard
-2x EVGA GTX285s
-3x 2Gig Sticks Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
-Western Digital Black 500 Gig Hard Drive
-Silverstone ST1000 PSU (Corsair HX1000 shown in pics, but ST1000 should be easier to sleeve)
-Lian Li PC-V1000Z
-Thermalright Black 120 Rev. C

Here are some pictures. They are mostly random as I didn't expect to be posting a worklog.

P1020401.jpg

P1020406.jpg

P1020408.jpg

P1020409.jpg

P1020411.jpg

P1020413.jpg

P1020414.jpg

P1020417.jpg

P1020418.jpg

P1020419.jpg

P1020420.jpg

P1020421.jpg

-Tad

Last edited:
Great choice of components... Lian Li's are fantastic cases to mod. They are elegant and always offer tons of options for modding. I like your drive to shoot for the stars with the goal of an MDPC build! Gonna follow this one.

how are you going to mount that fan on the gpus...mine is similar in clearance and want to cool it somehow

Thanks for the support!

@WarlordOne:
I going to start sleeving tomorrow, or even tonight after class hopefully. I'm getting the Silverstone PSU in today, which should be much easier to sleeve due to the fully modular cabling. I just hope the motherboard 8-pin power connector is long enough to reach.

@SuperTroye:
Thanks for the support! I doubt it will even come close to the elegance of the MDPC builds, but I'm hoping to come close. This build will mostly focus on very, very, very good cable management. Nothing flashy, just refined.

@antok86:
The fan setup right now is just temporary. I actually won't have a side fan taking air in on the case for the GPUs. Instead, I have a fan module that will fit in the 5.25 inch bays and will hold one of 4 fans.

I've started re-thinking the possibility of going water-cooling. Though it would be very fun, it would cost considerably more, and having to maintain it later just doesn't sound appealing to me. We'll see though. I received the MurderMod Psychopack sleeving kit yesterday! It was missing some of the bigger heatshrink, but Charles over there took care of me right away and is sending the bigger heatshrink. That is one of the really cool parts about modding: the people you work with are really cool and good at what they do. I also received my package from performance-pcs: 4 Noiseblocker fans, Lian-Li front fan module, new style thermalright fan retention bracket, and the thermalright TRUE Black 120 Rev. C.

Pics to come...

-Tad

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing more. I think that the case you chose will definitly help you get the look you're going for.

Update!

I have received all of my parts and an RMA number for the Corsair PSU. I would've rather stuck with the Corsair, but the nature of the cabling just doesn't lend itself to very good looking uni-sleeving. The all modular Silverstone is also a little shorter, and the cables will be easier to sleeve with on exception you'll see in the pics.

The pic I wanted to post in the first post. I think this is my favorite part of building a computer... accumulating the parts :)
P1020402.jpg

Sleeving:
P1020427.jpg

Heatsink and fan shroud:
P1020431.jpg

P1020432.jpg

P1020430.jpg

Fans and fan module for the front:
P1020428.jpg

P1020429.jpg

New sound card:
P1020424.jpg

P1020425.jpg

New mouse... expensive, but worth it!:
P1020422.jpg

P1020423.jpg

Current setup (minus Corsair PSU):
P1020433.jpg

Silverstone PSU:
P1020434.jpg

P1020435.jpg

P1020436.jpg

P1020437.jpg

P1020438.jpg

Problem I was referring to. I'm going to have to reconstruct the cable to get it to look nice. However, I don't think it will be too difficult...
P1020439.jpg

The PSU comes with two PCI-E 6-pin cables and two cables with a PCI-E 8-pin connector and a 6-pin then coming out the back as shown here. However, from what I've seen of this PSU, weird cable is used when you have a video card that requires a 6-pin and an 8-pin connector on the card, allowing you to use just one cable instead of two per card. I could do that with this setup, but I don't think it would look as nice. I'd rather convert the weird cables into 6-pin only cables, and hope that any video card upgrades I do only require two 6-pin connectors. We'll see.

I've started the trial and error on the sleeving. No pics yet but I'll get some on the next cable I sleeve. I really need to buy a heat gun.

I love Silverstone PSU's. I have the 600watt moduler and love it, runs my system and my 8800 (2) really nicely! :)

Well, change of plans. I've decided to keep the Corsair and modify it. I'm running the silverstone right now, which is running well, but the +12v rail is a little high and I just like the corsair better. Plus, I've seen some sleeved modular corsair unit as well, so I know it can be done. I didn't get any sleeving done this past weekend, and I probably won't get any done until this coming weekend. I did get a heat gun though, which should make this a lot faster. When I get something done I'll post pics. Until then...

-Tad

Edit: The hardwired PCI-E cables on the corsair will pose a problem. To remedy this issue, I need a few 8-pin to 6-pin adapters, or I need to cut off the two extra wires and tuck them away inside the PSU. I really do not want to cut anything, as this rig will be my platform for upgrading for years to come (unless the wife gives me new build permission again :) ). So, since my soldering iron is nowhere to be found, and I want to save some time, I'm going to buy a couple of these:

PCIe8-PCIe6_011.jpg

I would just leave the wires as they are, buy two 8-pin connectors, and replace the 6+2 pin setup. However, the 2 extra pins will not fit beside the connectors on the GTX 285's.

Another Edit:

Small update... SLEEVING!!!

It has been kinda hard to get the measurements right on the sleeving and the heatshrink, but I'm developing a process as I go along. I sleeving the individual wires right into the PSU. I hope all the sleeving fits. If not I will have to cut up the casing a little. Here are the pics:

P1020440.jpg

P1020441.jpg

P1020442.jpg

P1020443.jpg

P1020444.jpg

P1020445.jpg

P1020448.jpg

Last edited:
Update time!

Kinda small, but all the updates are going to be small as I only have short windows of time to work in. Anyways, I finished sleeving the second PCI-E 6+2 pin wires. I'm really liking the look, but I'm affraid I'm going to have to cut into the PSU case to get all the wires to fit. Its fine though. That is why God created the Dremel! I'm going to wait on the cutting until I get all the wires sleeved.

P1020450.jpg

P1020455.jpg

P1020456.jpg

I also did a little work on the case. Just put the fans in and took our stuff I don't want to use. I took out all the ports on the top of the case. Then I realized the screws fasten to the ports directly to keep the little door on. So I looked through my assortment of various screws and YAY! motherboard standoffs! I'm going to cut the threads off later.

P1020454.jpg

P1020453.jpg

Thats all for now. I'm hoping to get the computer into the case with the temporary PSU just to get it protected. Then I will continue sleeving.

-Tad

You can do a big sleeve at the whole and uni sleeve from there to fix the cables not fitting in the psu problem.. just something to consider.

@Kenjiwing

I had thought about that, but I'm going for a different look than what I've seen with uni-sleeving. On the Silverstone fully modular PSU's, unisleeving is easy because the cables are really just very long adapters. I've seen pictures of other PSU's with hardwired cables and they either start unisleeving halfway up the cable, they unisleeve adapters and use those, or they unisleeving starting as close to the PSU as they can get, and put a big piece of heatshrink at the point where the wires come out. Actually, the MurderMod Psychopack comes with heatshrink to do either that, or unisleeving half the cable. I just wanted to do something I haven't seen yet. I'm sure others have done what I'm doing, but I just haven't seen it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Tad

I'm going to be unisleeving a hx850 when it comes in.. hopefully you find a way to get all those wires to fit. The fully modular silverstone will be much easier.. might as well be cheating!

I'd recommend getting a pin remover if you don't already have one. I tried the staple trick and it just didn't work out. With the right tools, it really isn't as bad of a process as I've read some say. It is just time consuming.

@Kenjiwing

I had thought about that, but I'm going for a different look than what I've seen with uni-sleeving. On the Silverstone fully modular PSU's, unisleeving is easy because the cables are really just very long adapters. I've seen pictures of other PSU's with hardwired cables and they either start unisleeving halfway up the cable, they unisleeve adapters and use those, or they unisleeving starting as close to the PSU as they can get, and put a big piece of heatshrink at the point where the wires come out. Actually, the MurderMod Psychopack comes with heatshrink to do either that, or unisleeving half the cable. I just wanted to do something I haven't seen yet. I'm sure others have done what I'm doing, but I just haven't seen it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Tad

I've seen it before and it's a big hairy mess. There's a reason you don't see too many PC's with individual wires sleeved all the way to the PSU. Anyway, things look like they're coming along pretty well!

I understand that. Looking back now I probably would've done the unisleeving differently, but I'm not turning back now. A big reason for modding computers is to solve a problem. If the wires don't fit, I'll cut the PSU casing :)

Edit: Maybe I should call this project sPaGhEtTi!

-Tad

I thought about doing the "uni sleeving", but the whole reason I broke the clusters down was so they would be more managable under the motherboard, and behind the tray. Unless you have a lot of room bewteen the panel and the mobo tray, it's hard to run fat single wires.

@Helicopter:

I don't have a lot of room behind the motherboard. However, after measuring I found that having six running side-by-side behind the motherboard will take up less space than if I tried running them as they came.

I have since taken off all of the sleeving and I'm going to sleeve about a half inch away from the PSU, and then I'm going to use heatshrink going into the power supply. I'm able to reuse the sleeving. I just cut it down. I'm going to use the 2nd largest heatshrink that comes with the Psychopack to sleeve the groups of wires. We'll see what happens :/

edit: internally connected PSU wires are sleeved!

P1020477.jpg

P1020476.jpg

P1020473.jpg

P1020498.jpg

P1020499.jpg

Another edit:

The PSU one cable away from being completely sleeved. All of the cables accept for the one to power the hard drive and the DVD-ROM drive are sleeved and installed. I also found a Klein Nibbler on my door step today! The cuts I'm going to be making do not require the sheer cutting power of the dremel, and with the nibbler I won't have to take out any hardware. We'll see if it works. If not its back to the dremel. I've been thinking about getting the new corsair self-contained WC unit for my rig. We'll see once I start overclocking. I'll post pics soon.

Last edited:
Major Update:

Basically finished. Not worthy of MDPC, which is why it is called MDPC wannabe. I need to sleeve the power button/LED wires, but for the most part this project is done.

P1020501.jpg

One of the SATA power cables:
P1020502.jpg

Using the nibbler:
P1020503.jpg

Finished!
P1020504.jpg

P1020505.jpg

P1020506.jpg

P1020507.jpg

P1020508.jpg

P1020509.jpg

Hope this is at least worthy of some decent feedback, but you can't please them all.

newegg.com It is the PC-V1000Z

Update:

Well, I decided to draw the project out even longer. I went to MDPC at work yesterday and I just got inspired again. I cut back the heatshrink on the PCI-E and 24 pin mobo cables. I'm also going to remove drive rack at the bottom and put the hard drive in a silencer. I'm not sure if I will mount the silencer in the bottom of the case or in a 5.25 bay. I'd like to mount it in the bottom so I can stack the silencers in the event I get another hard drive. I'm still resisting the tempation to pain the case, but it would be easy to paint than my last project as I only have to worry about paint the inards of the case. I think I am going to paint the DVD-ROM though, along with the red stripe on the 285's. I also took out the Thermalright fan bracket and replaced it with the wire fan clips. The bracket was just too bulky. I'm definately going to resleeve the fans and sleeve the button and LED wires. Removing the rack will give me more room to keep wires, but I won't be able to hide them. I'm also going to paint the wire clips I have in the back. Man, I just gave myself way more to do.

More pics:
P1020547.jpg

P1020539.jpg

P1020545.jpg

P1020546.jpg

P1020548.jpg

P1020549.jpg

And my experimental photo booth... yuck...
P1020550.jpg

Last edited:
Text Update:

I put in an order for more sleeving along with some cable management clips and button screws from MDPC! I'm looking forward to trying my hand at creating a Million Dollar PC, not just a wann-be! My focus will not be so much on crazy modifications to the case, but rather working out all the small things that bug me about the case and work on the little details. I'm toying with the idea of panting the inside of the case black, but I also like the clean aluminum look as well. It allows the sleeving to stand out. I'm going to remove the plastic clips on the back. They would've been fine it I wasn't motivated to post this on MDPC.

Also, remember the Silverstone PSU I had? Well, I still have it, and I'm thinking about sleeving it will give me a chance to do the sleeving really well, and I think wiring the case with this PSU will be easier... except for the shorter cables, but I can deal with that easily enough.

So, I lot to come in November... I hope. I have my first kid on the way, due in mid December also! So I'm trying to get this done before she is here. Until next time...

-TadZilla

This is really nice work you've got here, so i just wanted to give the heads up(although im pretty sure you know this) aluminum has to be chemically etched for teh paint to say.

Update:

Well, I've stripped the power, reset, and LED wires out of the case. Power and reset buttons on a mobo should standard on every mobo! The WAF goes way up when I mod without keeping her off the computer.

Anyways... NAKED WIRES!!!
P1020551.jpg

Okay, not that exciting...

Tools of the trade:
P1020552.jpg

Sleeved wire:
P1020554.jpg

Might be a little short, but we'll see...

P1020556.jpg

Yep, a little short. I just ordered another psycho pack to sleeve my Silverstone ST1000, so I'll resleeve this wire and put the sleeving closer to the connector.

I'm also trying to think of different ways of mounting the hard drive. I really like the idea of having the hard drive mounted vertically in the remaining 5.25 slots. We'll as what my hard drive case will allow me to do when it arrives. Man, I also need another lighter for sleeving... I've gone through two already!

Until next time,

-TadZilla

A heat gun is a great tool for sleeving, and it sounds like you still have lots more in store for yourself. You may want to investigate acquiring one instead of playing with fire! The mod is looking awesome - keep up the great work.

@cnealjr: Thanks for the encouragement! I do have a heat gun. I use it for the bigger sleeving. I've found that using a lighter and running the heatshrink through the bottom of the flame helps the heatshrink to shrink smaller and hold to the sleeving better. You do have to be careful as to not get it to hot and melt it, or melt the sleeving. The MDPC sleeving and heatshrink are both very resiliant.

thaddeus....... awesome job bro, love it! :) Its already a MDPC to me.

@FrEaKy:

Thanks! That means a lot!

Small update time. I hired a mascot!!!
P1020559.jpg

He shall be called.... Monkey!

Here is Monkey showing off some warez:
P1020560.jpg

Here is Monkey trying to set me on fire!
P1020568.jpg

Anyways, i received a hard drive silencer:
P1020558.jpg

P1020561.jpg

P1020563.jpg

P1020565.jpg

and I'm trying to find the best way to put it in the case. More on that later.
I finished sleeving the power and reset button cables:

P1020566.jpg

P1020569.jpg

Now I'm waiting on some more sleeving from Nils and MDPC and Charles at MurderMod! I just put in an order for some Grand Bleu color sleeving from MDPC along with some black rivets to put my case back together after paint.

Until next time...

-TadZilla

Okay, I need some [H]elp, and I'm turning to all of you for your opinions.

I'm wanting to take the SSD plunge. I'm looking for the best drive with a decent price. I've thought about buying an Intel 160 GB, but I can get the Crucial 256 GB for the same price. I've also thought about buying two Crucial drives and RAIDing them (RAID 0), but I've read that the Intel Matrix Storage drivers do not pass the TRIM commands from Windows 7, and these drivers are installed by Windows 7 by default when using Intel based RAID (P6T mobo). I've looked at OCZ and Corsair as well. OCZ seems to have the TRIM commands worked out, but I don't know about Corsair, and they wouldn't get TRIM either if RAIDed.

So, what all do you guys know about this? I've been searching google, but I'd like some opinions on this. Apparently the performance difference is night and day compared to even a Velociraptor. They are also much smaller which would really help in my drive placement decision. I don't have too much need for large amounts of storage, but enough so I can install as many games as I have now with much room to spare. I store everything else on my file server.

Thank you all for your help!

-TadZilla

Update: After extensive research, I decided on 2 Crucial P256M225 256GB SSDs. Hopefully Intel updates the Intel Matrix Storage drivers so Windows 7 can pass TRIM commands. However, I won't be filling these up anytime soon, so I shouldn't experience degradation for a while.

Last edited:
SSD's are the biggest tangible performance increase for the money in my opinion. You'll experience night and day load times with them. I replaced some raptors at work with cheapo Kingston series V SSD's and they rock. I can only imagine what RAID will do with them.

Small Update:

The mascot Monkey is on leave... already. Lazy... But the show must go on.

I haven't had a chance to do an case work yet. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. In the mean time, I received another Psychopack from Charles at Murdermod:
P1020570.jpg

It looks as though he included a sample of MDPC red sleeving. It looks sick! But I've already ordered the Grand Bleu from MDPC. I may change my mind... who knows.

This morning I sleeved my fans. I'm only showing one in the pics though.

Old sleeving:
P1020573.jpg

P1020574.jpg

This little piece just wouldn't come off. I had to use needle nose pliars. Not that I'll need it anyways. It keeps the individual wires from coming out the back of the casing, but I'm sleeving up to the motor, so there should be no problem:
P1020577.jpg

And sleeved:
P1020578.jpg

P1020579.jpg

P1020580.jpg

I should be getting my mounting hardware and Grand Bleu today or tomorrow. However, I've never received a package from Europe, so I don't know how the shipping works. Oh well, I'll get it when I get it :)

Question: Has anyone seen the red stripe on the EVGA GTX 285 painted before? I'd like to know the best way to paint it. Do I just paint over it? sand as much as I can then paint it? fabricate a piece of aluminum to cover it up? Any ideas would be great!

Thanks for looking!

-TadZilla

Some random update pics for you.

YAY PACKAGES!!!
P1020592.jpg

How about some sleeving...
P1020583.jpg

Maybe a little wire management...
P1020585.jpg

Throw in some SSDs...
P1020600.jpg

P1020603.jpg

and mounting hardware...
P1020598.jpg

perhaps combine the two...
P1020625.jpg

P1020623.jpg

P1020624.jpg

Now for some sleeving action...
P1020629.jpg

P1020620.jpg

Don't want sleeving to get snagged...
P1020632.jpg

The process...
P1020633.jpg

P1020634.jpg

P1020635.jpg

P1020645.jpg

P1020652.jpg

P1020653.jpg

P1020654.jpg

P1020655.jpg

P1020656.jpg

P1020638.jpg

P1020642.jpg

And some cool drawings from Nils!
P1020582.jpg

P1020619.jpg

Thats all for now. I still have yet to work on the case. I'm going full water cooling on this one, but I don't if I will be able to fit enough cooling capacity into this case. I want all of the watercooling to be internal. We'll see what I can come up with. If I can't manage it with my limited modding skills, I'll buy a full tower... maybe a CM ATCS 840.

-TadZilla

get a cylinder for a res, might help a bit with the room required to do all the necissary bits while still keeping it neat.

Awesome work

Keep it up! :)

You can easily paint the red part on the side of an EVGA GTX card. I've done my 260 and my new 285 as well. The piece is actually metal. On some of the cards it soldered to the heatpipes to help disappate heat.

Either way, all you have to do it take the card apart. Once you have the side off there are 3 small screws holding on the red side piece. If its not soldered on it can be painted from there. If its soldered on, you can tape of the rest of the card and paint it.

You can go over to the EVGA forums and seach the archives for pics if you need them. Taking it apart to paint will also give you the opportunity to remove the stock thermal paste, which is REALLY put on terrible, and replace with something better.

Here's my GTX 285....

DSC00320.jpg

Same card with a GTX275 backplate modified to fit the 285...

DSC00439.jpg

Hello all!

Just posting some pics of my new motherboard, and some sleeving. I got a new camera, so I've been learning how to use it.

Current setup:

IMG_0671.jpg

P&S I was using:
IMG_0721.jpg

Sleeving!
IMG_0722.jpg

Its... Its... ITS TADZILLA!!!
IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

And the mobo:
IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

I have an XSPC 240 radiator and an EK 100mm res on the way. Now that I think about it, I probably should've ordered the 150mm, but tis' okay.

man this project makes me itch to do some upgrading/modding. excellent work, i can tell you really put forth the extra time to make the sleeving look "Murdermod-quality".

having sleeved every single cable on the last 5 builds I have done, I can truly appreciate all the work that goes into it. Yours is no exception. Fantastic work. :)

Back