Project: Lockbox

widefault

Supreme [H]ardness
The Purpose:
Um, because I have the extra hardware and spare time? Really, I have nothing planned for this once it's built. It's basically just being done to pass the time until I get around to building a DriveBayPC using similar parts.

The Parts:
- The case is an old steel lockbox, hence the name. Bought for $1 at a thrift store. Plain and boring. And it's not as beat as it looks, the flash really helps bring out the scuffs. Size is about 11"x4"x7.75"
lockbox1.jpg

- Hard drive is an older Western Digital 30GB, 5400rpm drive. It was already in my parts box, so it was the first choice. I considered getting a laptop drive, but decided that wasn't needed. CD-drive is a Samsung laptop 24x CD-ROM. Nothing special, bought a while ago for the CarPC project, but I've since picked up a DVD for that.
lockbox2.jpg

- Motherboard is an Advantech PCI SBC which can be run with or without a backplane. Socket 370, BX chipset. Onboard Trident video with native LCD support and MPEG2 assist. Onboard 10/100 ethernet. One IDE channel with a 44 pin header, second IDE channel is used for a CF card slot, although I haven't had much luck with the CF cards I own. Only a 16MB and 32MB card work so I can't use one as a boot device without really stripping the OS down. Not a big deal, the 30GB fits fine. Currently running a Celeron 566 in this one with 128MB of PC100(uses SODIMMs mounted on the back of the board). Has pretty much all the bells and whistles of the average BX board, just without any native PCI slots. Has VGA, one serial, ethernet, and a combo PS/2 port on the board itself. Parallel, another serial and two USB ports are on seperate cables. Only bad thing is that this has no onboard sound, and without a native PCI slot or backplane I'll be forced to use USB for sound. That just means one more part to carry, although there are cheap and small USB sound devices that could easily be mounted internal with some added external ports for the audio in/out.

Anyway, the pics. One has a standard Zippo to show a size reference. Board is about 4"x7". Faceplate is removed from the board, it will be used to mark the port locations on the lockbox before cutting.
lockbox3.jpg

lockbox4.jpg

- A few other parts, a pair of slim 80mm fans and the USB ports. One fan will be intake, one exhaust and they'll be mounted about where they appear in the pic.
lockbox5.jpg

- The power supply was pulled from a ~10 year old Sony dual CD-ROM case. Paid $5 for it at a thrift shop, had a ~35 watt PSU which was quickly removed for projects. The rest of the Sony setup is junk, waiting to be thrown away. I did have to change the molex setup on this. It came with two large plugs, I removed one and added a large/small cable salavaged from a dead AT PSU. Once again, a Zippo is included for a size reference.

lockbox6.jpg

The Mockup:
lockbox7.jpg

That's pretty much how things are going to fit, with a few changes. Only one USB port will be installed at first, that way I can either add a hub or sound"card" internal if needed. Also, the CPU fan will be removed as the 80mm will be blowing directly onto it and is much quieter. I'm still amazed at how well the PSU fits into the lockbox, slid right into place.

And here a show with the CD moved out of the way.
lockbox8.jpg

The hard drive will be mounted on spacers off the bottom of the case to give some room for air movement and maybe the cable. I haven't decided how I plan to route the cables yet, it might be easier to go up over the top of the hard drive instead of underneath. I will probably try to round the cable, too, although if I mess it up I'm screwed since it's kind of proprietary.

Motherboard is also on spacers, just enough to keep the SODIMMs from touching the case.

CD drive is going to get mounted to a pair of rails installed from the front to back of the lockbox. It may not be as polished as I'd like it, but I can't think of another way to do it right now.

All ports will be on the back as well as the power plug, switch, and CD-ROM. If I get ambitious I might put the power plug on the side of the case. We'll see what happens.

If all goes well, I'll be starting the real cutting in the next week.

nice, now u gotta make it open on hydraulics by remote and have the inside all blinged out :p

looks good so far, and make sure the parts dont short out by touching the metal ;)

Everything will be insulated, but the finish of the box itself isn't conductive.

The PCI slot on the board is for use in a backplane setup. With a backplane I could add other PCI cards as well as power the board itself through the bus. I've been looking for one for use with another board, but so far I don't want to pay $75+ for a 5 PCI slot version when all I need is 3 PCI.

Back