Project: Large Wooden Tower

I started to stain the case today, so I experimented to see what a two-tone finish would look like (the stain is still wet in this pic):

TwoToneFront.jpg

And this is the front, all blacked out:

FrontStained.jpg

I had to add the soda can to the picture in order to get the camera to auto-focus on something. :D

But my client will be happy. :D

So I should expect two more orders for this case. :rolleyes:

Spotswood,

You are the kind of craftsman where people say, "They are a dying breed." I think that $499 is way, way underpriced.

May I suggest that you visit some fancy-schmancy furniture stores to get some ideas for wood inlays or stuff like that. And check out the Stickley Furniture company website.

May I also suggest that you take a sample case to some high-end furniture stores in your area, and see if you can get them to get you commissions. Take the case with you, but leave behind only some photos and a price list. :)

Some guy drops say $10 grand on his high-end home office, and YOU have the perfect computer to complement that expensive desk. Custom-built to match that desk, of course. A thou for the case, plus what some local system builder charges for the system. And maybe the guy doesn't care about noise, so it's air-cooled.

You could really be on to something here. ;)

Wish I could afford one. :rolleyes:

x509

"Those who cant do, Preach!" Or as my ex-wife would say..."Those who cant do. Bitch!"

Here's a peek of the finish, which consists of two applications of a water-based black stain followed by two coats of wipe-on polyurethane. The two coats of polyurethane yields just enough shininess to match all shades of black computer hardware.
FinishSneak.jpg

FinishSneak2.jpg

:D

definitly picked a good color for the finish. You have done an awesome job so far, everything inside and out looks like it flows really good. and is professional looking. Cant wati to see it all together and running.

love the case, loathe the black on black, personally think the two-tone looked better.

HOWEVER, this is not my case, nor my contract, and it looks delicious and wonderful! Good work, man!

love the case, loathe the black on black, personally think the two-tone looked better.

HOWEVER, this is not my case, nor my contract, and it looks delicious and wonderful! Good work, man!

This. I wonder if the client knew what he was getting into when he asked for a black wood case. I just don't understand it.

But like the man said, it's not my case.

Spotswood, you do great work and makes me wish I could afford something like that. And afford the rest of the office furniture that I'd buy to compliment that case. And afford to remodel my office space to be worthy of office furniture that would compliment that case. :D

Lol the only thing would be how easy would it be to keep CLEAN!! with all that black it would look dirty in a week even if you worked in a hospital. But spotswood you do exceptional work and not everybody should be worthy of your cases!!! I hope you get more people to buy them as somebody said before you found a niche that not to many people have been able to get.

Lol the only thing would be how easy would it be to keep CLEAN!! with all that black it would look dirty in a week even if you worked in a hospital. But spotswood you do exceptional work and not everybody should be worthy of your cases!!! I hope you get more people to buy them as somebody said before you found a niche that not to many people have been able to get.

This black case actually hides dust better than most (it not all) other black cases because of the wood grain and the finish isn't too glossy. :D

This case looks absolutely amazing.

I actually LOVE the all black. Great work, the person you made it for is getting something special.

Are you fitting it with any hardware or is that all up to the consumer?

This case looks absolutely amazing.

I actually LOVE the all black. Great work, the person you made it for is getting something special.

Are you fitting it with any hardware or is that all up to the consumer?

I'll be installing everything that will require a hole to be drilled or a slot to be routed, such as radiators, pumps, reservoirs, tubing, etc.

That is BEAUTIFUL. So elegant.

Yes, she's very purdy. :D

Last edited:
I like the snowy background, it's very picturesque :D

Here are the specifications and features of this case.

Physical Characteristics:
  • Internal dimensions (HxWxD - inches): 26 x 10 x 25
  • External dimensions (HxWxD - inches): 30 x 13 x 30
  • Weight: 47 pounds
Materials:
  • 3/4-inch solid red oak and 5.2mm red oak veneer plywood.
  • .100-inch sheet and 1/8-inch aluminum plate and angle.
Storage:
  • Modular 5-1/4-inch drive cage capable of holding seven drives, four of which are externally accessable.
  • Two removable 3-1/2-inch drive cages capable of holding four drives each. Drives are attached to the cage through soft rubber grommets.
Features:
  • The case is divided into three separate horizontal chambers, each fed and exhausted by a 120mm fan (the power supply fan is used as one of the exhaust fans). The front intake fans are fed by an air duct.
  • The 5-1/4-inch drive cage rails are removable.
  • Removable motherboard tray.
  • 2-3/8-inch twin-wheel casters.
  • A 1-1/8-inch gap between the right side panel and the removable "false" backs.
  • The power supply can be mounted in either the top or bottom chamber and in any orientation.
  • The upper chamber can hold two quad 120mm radiators.
  • Bulgin vandal resistant illuminated power switch.
  • Wood finished with black water-based stain and polyurethane.
  • Design can be easily adjusted to accommodate XL-ATX motherboards, different top, no bottom skirt, etc.
  • Can be shipped flat or pre-assembled.

Last edited:
That looks just awesome man, wish there was a clapping smiley. You can always tell when someone spends their time on this stuff.
Gonna get to see it with some parts in it?
I love the layout, the chambers, and the smooth front.
Good Job

been following from the begining and I am very much liking to final product. Good job!

Back