Project: Lanmunition (Work Log)

DeadP1xels

n00b
Project: Lanmunition
Ghetto Edition
YouTube- Project Lanmunition- Early Stages

Hey guys i've been holding this off for a little while to get a few updates under my belt

This is my casemod worklog for Project Lanmunition loosely inspired by other projects this is an ever evolving project that will only get better this is what i've called my "Ghetto edition" what this means is 95% of the materials used in this project will be stuff i have the only money i will spend is £8.50 on the case and possibly money on spray paint.

A few disclaimers before is start

-Im a very poor photographer many of the pictures where taken quickly and a few will be out of focus i apologize in advance but i try my best :)
-Some of the project you will find similiar to other ammo case pc builds but its very difficult to get past some similiaritys im trying to make it as unique as i can
-It is a joint project my dad is helping because he is the one with all the tools :biggrin_mini:

Update 1

So one day i was walking into my local town when i saw a army surplus store and thought "I wonder what they have in there!?" after looking around i saw something very cool a 25mm hard plastic ammo case it seemed perfect for a themed mod project the best part of it was it was only £8.50

Heres the victim 25mm hard plastic ammunition case
26509753.jpg

16471914.jpg

After some boring lessons at college i decided to scribble down some concepts for the design sadly my scanner sucks so i had to take a picture of them but you get the idea :p
concept1i.jpg

concept2.jpg

Runing across the case i noticed alot of damage, rust, dirt and grime almost like it had been through a war (wait a second...) anyway this was the first port of call before anything! i new the rusty latches where first the paint was flaking of in large pieces revealing thick rust even underneith the paint :scratch_one-s_head:
54593134.jpg

91639882.jpg

its was really bad i started to wonder if i could be salvaged but i could'nt give up it was time to get out the wire brush after a little scrubbing large amounts of it was coming of but still some was being a pain and not wanting to leave my plan was to get down to bare metal this seemed a little hard when i first saw that latches time for some paint stripper!
60005971.jpg

this was like one hundred times better than what they where like at the start but still in a big mess!
95048766.jpg

after some more wire brushing it was time to bring out the big guns the angle grinder and sander :diablo_mini:
77481005.jpg

19687759.jpg

89172370.jpg

55826231.jpg

25056763.jpg

after a little work it was finally looking good there was still light orange rust underneith in the next pictures but eventually that was gone :i_am_so_happy:
46066908.jpg

31531487.jpg

Thats all for now folks ALOT! more to come :)

NOTE: the arms in the picture are my dads btw just so you know we're doing this project together

Back with some more updates guys
Update 2

It was time to do the front panel but first it was finding some material that would do it :scratch_one-s_head: i had a piece of aluminum diamond plate hanging around that seemed the perfect size after a tool search i realized it would almost be improssible to cut with what i had on hand
firstideamaterial.jpg

it was thick as hell and would break any blade easily so it was back to the drawing board we needed something that was strong but not thick because we needed switchs to bolt from the front we found a piece of white topped hardboard lying around and i don't mean the flexible stuff you find on the back of flat pack ikea furniture this was reasonably thick nice and strong stuff which fit the bill perfectly :biggrin_mini2:

Time to get cutting!
25046187.jpg

24934311.jpg

measure twice cut once sadly im a dumbass and measured wrong twice >_< but not to worry i was only a millimetre or so out of each side so a little bit of sanding and trimming would do the trick :i_am_so_happy:

after it was done the opening of the case was rounded so we took a wild guess on the rounding and beleive it or not it was a perfect fit!! sadly forgot to take a picture of that
we found a piece of aluminum lying around the cheap flexible stuff and had the idea of wrapping the front in that after using some of the scissors you can use to cut it we gave it up as a bad job it just would'nt look right either
38369888.jpg

we managed to find alot of switches which would work ideally for are project toggles, keyswitches and good old push buttons they where all roughly the same which was nice i was going for the military radio look but before we could go cutting holes left right and centre we needed to create a test panel to make sure we don't screw anything up we managed to find a piece of the same hardboard but all dirty which seemed better than chucking it out =]

heres a little colour comparison to give you an idea
11131340.jpg

with a little rough marking we got the first few switches in
97831283.jpg

The keyswitch and push button will be for on this means you need to activate the key before you can turn the system on or in the same way have the key activated to switch of meaning no little shi... (you no what i was gonna say) is going to come round turning your system of in the middle of being top of the leaderboard in call of duty :diablo_mini:
Toggles are for fans 1 guarenteed another is a maybe but the third is for some i will add later on in the project possibly cathodes

switches in the mockup panel
15753846.jpg

39237764.jpg

The proper panel eventually will be a matte black but of course testing first :whistle:

it was time to mount the panel and for this i had to give up on the keeping the outside original :( but no worrys the holes could be ressed for the screws and seeming there was some plastic strut support inside i could use them aswell managed to find some L brackets lying around that seemed ideal
16020375.jpg

90385014.jpg

after we put them in the panel sat perfect except from one side :/ it would cave sideways with a little weight fixed with a good old self tapper for support i did'nt wnat to screw it down completely because having small space i would need to get inside from both sides for upgrading

Seeming the case was so small we needed some airflow to keep it cool in there it was time to make a fan hole sadly i could only find a 6cm hole saw for are 8cm fan :blink: no worrys though i will be adding some special at the rear to pull that hot air out :) still need to get hold of some wide u channel to clean up that edge and a fan grill to make it look a little nicer.

Not screwed in just mocked up again
46975114.jpg

Now time to see this baby on the case
69822008.jpg

94621469.jpg

The door shuts nicely on it aswell :yes:
35339857.jpg

Another comparison the mockup in the case next to the eventual real panel outside the case
34895333.jpg

even though im about 5% done i can really see this project shaping up

thats all for now folks more updates to come ;)

Back with some more updates
Update 3

Since we got the main outline done it was time to see where are system was going to fit being onlye a 233mhz cyrix it was'nt crucial really how it went in but we needed to know for when we upgrade

after moving everything back and forth we finally came to the conclusion nothing fit :scratch_one-s_head: well it kinda did but the power supply was just to big in an ideal world i would be using a microatx psu but since this is a ghetto project we had to improvise since i suck with electronics it was time for my dad to step in being an electrician and all after tussling with the powersupply we finally came to the conclusion the only way we could do this and carry on with the project was removing it from its case

DISCLAIMER: Removing your power supply from its case is NOT a good idea i did not do this by myself my dad is a trained electrician and even he said this really was'nt a clever thing to do so if you try redo any of this project get a microatx psu!

just needed to put that in there :i_am_so_happy:

anywho so on to the psu mods

first was removing from the case

77708215.jpg

52633048.jpg

37742575.jpg

Now it is very important to ground the powersupply this particular one (not so sure about others) was grounded to the case then it went from the case to the outlet

12891056.jpg

since the case was a very tight squeeze we needed somewhere to mount it that would'nt be in contact with any vital components because of the small space of the bottom of the case we figured it was best mounting the powersupply upside down and having the sticker mean't we could drill and bolt through hiding it when reapplying the original sticker

84133445.jpg

here it is mounted on bolts and using nuts as standoffs to position it just right

70210916.jpg

sorry for my poor pictures :p
53979818.jpg

while he finished of and made sure this thing would'nt blow us sky high i began prepping for the install first port of call was the clean down this case was rather dirty and even though it added to the look it was hardly practical look what i walked out to!
RAIN!!
26470719.jpg

but did that stop me from modding? Hell no i just grabbed on my coat and started scrubbing
96305317.jpg

77794702.jpg

damn this thing turned out to be more dirty than i expected you can see the murky water in the nooks and crannys on the case ignore the white thats just the flash reflecting of the water on the surface

72423252.jpg

57384059.jpg

i was sitting on a soaking wet step :( i decided it was time to call it a day i was'nt happy with the amount of cleaning but i could'nt feel my hands by then end of it i will have to do some more when it stops =[ so i left it to dry out and went back in

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8075/18400493.jpg

i was pondering over the idea of putting some sort of design in the square of the case so i made a post luckily Dragon Gamer and Photoshop wizard came to the rescue and knocked up some designs for me that where just what i was looking for! i decided to go with Photoshop Wizards but will still be using Dragon Gamers later on in the project

58622113.jpg

here it is since i had no access to any kind of sticker machine i had to go makeshift i needed something good quality waterproof and solid so i decided to print it on photo glossy paper laminate it but im still finding some sort of sticky backed adhesive to stick it down semi permanent so i gave it a god at printing i needed it 10.5x10.5 to fit the square with a little gap around the edge annoyingly my wireless printer started acting up and i could'nt control it by my pc :scratch_one-s_head:

Trying to make do i used a sd card and put it on there then printed using the photo option annoyingly i could'nt get it to come out the right size and everytime it wanted to cut a piece of the design off..

48379742.jpg

46989497.jpg

i gave up any of you guys now how i could print the design the right size without cutting stuff off??

after i gave up for the time being i noticed the rain stopped and went back to cleaning after it was time to put the pc on the bench and test if it was working we kinda expected it to fail because of all are moving around of the components but it worked fine :i_am_so_happy:

57214271.jpg

62218287.jpg

for some reason the network card was having trouble under windows 98 (yeh i said windows 98) so we gave installing 2000 a go and worked fine obviously this is a temporary machine the whole project only costing £10.50 it was only designed to be a little project that could potentially evolve into something usable and powerful :biggrin_mini:

one day im hoping to get a phenom 2 machine in here that will be the "Lanning Edition"

Not very inttresting but i'll leave you at that for now guys

Well time for an update i guess not much of an update though last thing i managed to get done is mount the powersupply in the case test the system and clean it next step was mounting inside the case and more work to the front panel

i figured it would be a smart idea to actually mount the fan in the test panel to see if it would be hitting anything inside
11953491.jpg

97708899.jpg

im still working on the front panel it needs alot of work im thinking of spraying it matte black when im done but still not sure this mod is generally improvised as i go through anyway back on topic :D

i went ahead and mounted the psu on the top of the case ready to insert the rest and test when i remebered the front panel
93532587.jpg

heres where the motherboard would fit i still need to create a back panel for the i/o and power supply connector but that will come a little later in the mod

good job i checked out that fan placement because trying to place it in i realized the friggen thing did'nt fit!

it was about 2 mm in the way of the psu and instead of budging it over that 2mm i decided to put it to the left this will leave room for my 7" psone lcd i will be adding later as soon as i get a new system with 2 outputs

41465107.jpg

from this angle it almost looks like the powersupply is touching the mobo but it is'nt its got plenty of room so don't worry about that im hoping to stick a secret weapon in the back also to kick the heat from these things into shape

37157258.jpg

Big fan =D this is a fan from a fan assited oven its brand new that my dad got for free this thing pulls alot of air and will keep this entire system as cool as a cucumber pulling cool air in from the front with the small 80mm and pulling all the hot air out from the rear uhhhhhhh 160mm? i may be wrong im pretty sure its bigger than 120mm the outer casing of it is aluminium so its pretty heavy duty

70556926.jpg

this will be the new position of the fan ignorantly i placed it on the wrong side image it underneith the keyswitch and the lack of hole in the center good job i made this mockup panel :p

Thats all for now i guess been busy with college but im getting some great ideas for this project in the process i'll keep you posted :D

Well been busy lately and have'nt got to much done but i think im going to a little more today but heres where got so far

motherboard has been mounted aswell as psu on bolts and some plastic spacers i made to stop the board warping when being moved

1000421f.jpg

so themotherboard is mounted and psu next was the harddrive and it was going to be the same mounting method working with tight space and wanting to keep the i/o panel there was only one place to mount it and that included drilling holes in the top of my case :(

1000425.jpg

even though i was'nt so happy we managed to get it under the place a design was being placed but still.. it worked out great there was a good space between each component and they where placed securely with no risk of breaking falling or damage.

1000429.jpg

made a back panel to use the i/o panel and it worked out better than i expected little rough here and there but looked great and it was really deep the case because of how everything was mounted i could'nt beleive what had been squeeze between such a small space the case is pretty damn small by itself let along squeeze it into a smaller space

1000430u.jpg

if you remeber right the front panel went a little wrong and did'nt fit because of the fan well that was fixed by moving the fan to the left so after doing we went ahead and done it to the front panel i think it turned out pretty darn good

1000431.jpg

last thing we done was cut a hole for the power plug this was important because we did'nt want this thing popping out nobody wants to be playing with mains voltages

1000432v.jpg

the gaps around the edge will be sealed up to clean it up so does'nt look so rough

all i got for now but should be alot more to come need to wire up the front panel make sure the inside is all connected and working paint and some more cosmetics including Photoshop Wizards design also considering modding some spare peripherals to sit along next to it

Yay printed the design and it came out good not great but good just how i wanted it im going to test a few text colour schemes before i finally print it but i think yellow works best seeming the rest of the case has yellow text :)

Before
1000425.jpg

After
1000557r.jpg

1000560a.jpg

1000562x.jpg

1000563cq.jpg

1000566r.jpg

not stuck down because im still working on it =] i may fill in some of the gaps on the square so it sits flatter not sure

i want to fill the top part of the case with some form of sticker aswell to eat up that large blank space weres a few images i thought would sorta work feel free to post some more or make some if you feel up to it :)

1000567q.jpg

Heres some images
ps27.jpg

scout20sniper20kopfjage.jpg

sniperschool.jpg

dangerexplosivematerial.jpg

2583761.jpg

14gz.jpg

Still need to carry on with rear panel paint the panels wire the panels and some extra bits then i can work on abit of aesthetics more to come i guess :biggrin_mini:

Still nothing much done probebly get down there this weekend but heres some ideas i want you guys to help me with went back to the army surplus and picked up what i thought was a grenade carrier turned out to be ammo box carrier which makes more sense like what i went to look at last tinme but got the wooden one :p

anyway heres my idea seeming the whole system will be rather easily transported the rest is not im thinking of modding this for the lcd and peripherals top half mount the lcd in or have it on and be able to flip up bottom half line with foam and put mouse games etc then use the bars on the side to mount the keyboard

1000568k.jpg

1000571l.jpg

The paint is rather battered so im considering using the angle grinder down to bare metal and respraying matte black to match the case seeming it has no real histroical value

1000572i.jpg

1000573jl.jpg

both pieces together

1000574nk.jpg

both pieces apart

1000577r.jpg

and together the problem with this thing is it easily falls apart when put down on the ground so it needs to be held at all times to stay together if there was a ammo box in there it would probebly stay in one piece because its being supported

1000579s.jpg

if my plan goes well i'll use this lcd
1000583y.jpg

but i think it may be a little too big so i will have to mod the bezel the reason im using this one is because its insanely light meaning won't fall off and make the box any heavier than it already is!!

if not i will use this 17" its alot better res but alot heavier at that

1000584r.jpg

with this camo i've had since the very beginning
1000585wn.jpg

draped and glued onto the bezel with maybe some form of sticker

i'll also be using this keyboard and mouse set not sure what i plan on doing to this maybe nothing we'll see

1000586.jpg

Monitor Mods
Concept stages

Hey guys so you know i got the ammo carrier for a potential monitor mod well today i decided to put my concept to the test first was seeing if the monitor would fit with the bezel it was roughly the same size but when put together the bezel increase it a little too much so i decided to go into the undergrowth and take it apart i've tryed this once before and i cou;d'nt get it open to si thought i would end up having to cut the bezel off! lucky i managed to find a successful technique of prying it off with flat head scredrivers without damaging anything.

1000591v.jpg

Heres the monitor with its rear off just disconnecting the not needed headphone and audio from the foot of the monitor and proceeded to take the rest of the screws out to get to the lovely lovely lcd underneith :biggrin_mini2:

1000593b.jpg

will have to find a new place inside the case and extent the power cables to turn the thing on else this will be quite pointless :scratch_one-s_head:

1000594ow.jpg

1000595b.jpg

1000600y.jpg

1000603n.jpg

could'nt beleive the fit the lcd is literally a millimetre smaller than the base sadly it will have to go into the base instead of the top but thats not problem theres a few features on the base that make this even better the top will still probebly be peripherals but they will have to go into another small box or something industrial velcroed to the top not sure yet we'll see.

1000604a.jpg

could'nt sit perfect in the base because of the vga cable needs a little dremel work to make that sit nice but not to much trouble (i hope)

1000605d.jpg

you see its pushed up one side but with a little work it will fit nice

1000607i.jpg

CHECK IT OUT! Monitor stand! not as stable as i would hope but i can fix that with a little metal work should work perfect

1000608j.jpg

bit to much of a tilt for my liking but nothing a makshift support won't fix im sure

1000611r.jpg

EESH! BRIGHT! sorry but without it its impossible to see so heres the stand from the rear i plan on adding some rubber feel and weight support to the back to keep it steady but not so its taking away the look of the whole project

1000612f.jpg

1000616b.jpg

Concept of the design beleive me it will look 20x better when its done

1000618a.jpg

more bending and dremel work to be done to this to make it sit inside like i want it

1000622h.jpg

also here

1000623v.jpg

once its done i'll be using this camo (like i always say) to drape around the bezel of the monitor using some form of temporary glue nice and tight so it does'nt block my viewing

1000624s.jpg

1000625o.jpg

Yeh i know its kinda crappy looking at the moment but ALOT of work needs to be done to it

1000626ps.jpg

finally the base with the top

List of things to be done
Test concept: DONE
Grind all paint from steel case: PENDING
dremel away cable holes / mounting areas: PENDING
paint matte black + yellow details for writing: PENDING
fix monitor bezel (paint/cover): PENDING
install monitor mounting: PENDING
finishing aestehtic touchs: PENDING

Monitor Mods 2

Done some work on the monitor today while i had some time got some emery cloth so went ahead and scuffed and prepped the metal for matte black
1000645.jpg

sanded a little
1000646h.jpg

1000647y.jpg

1000648z.jpg

top and bottom done a little bit
1000652.jpg

and some more
1000653n.jpg

then took a cloth thats a little damp and cleaned the dust off if you do this only have it a little bit damp else it will just wet it instead of picking up the dust
1000657b.jpg

while i left them outside to dry i went and started prepping the monitor
1000658d.jpg

completely forgot about cutting holes for cables so had to make sure it was all working first
1000660p.jpg

ahh..
1000666.jpg

considered removing the mains power board but without any proper insulation underneith it would'nt work
1000672.jpg

cable management to get it all working right
1000680l.jpg

much better
1000684x.jpg

the power and reset needed to be mounted internally and with a spare rocker switch i could just extend them but before it needed to be properlly insulated with proffesional equipment
1000686t.jpg

what is this wonderess material i speak of?
1000685.jpg

:) plastic insulation posistioned
1000688.jpg

pro tape job (temporary)
1000689.jpg

New switch
1000690d.jpg

need a slot for the vga and a hole for the new switch here
1000696.jpg

and a hole for power here
1000697.jpg

by the time i got this done my neice was falling asleep with her head on the carpet so no drilling for me tonight
1000698.jpg

More to come i will probebly be painting tommorow and drilling so we should get the basics done.

Just noticed that none of my pics are embedded is this just something on this forum or am i doing something wrong?

apologies but if someone could tell me i'll fix it straight away for you guys :)

Just noticed that none of my pics are embedded is this just something on this forum or am i doing something wrong?

apologies but if someone could tell me i'll fix it straight away for you guys :)

You have to turn it on if you want to see directly those pictures :)

Check settings.

Awesome looking project. I would keep the distressed looking monitor holder and just clear it to keep it from rusting.

Why not cut out the indented areas and place mesh behind so it can have some better cooling?
1000562x.jpg

Ahhh i see

Yeh i was thinking that sorta like what zapwizard did but i was trying to keep it watertight

im hoping to take it to a lan event one time when i replace the hardware and i will be camping when this baby has the latches on its sealed absolutely watertight nothing getting in or out ;) so ideal for literally just dropping at the bottom of my tent and not worrying about possible leaks

Im probebly replacing the front and back as well now i have a few new idea and install more fans and mesh ventilation for when its open and working

i had a longer post but browser choked on me.

i think something like a harris bipod or some type of tripod would be fitting for the lcd stand going with the sniper/cannon military theme.
HarrisBipod.jpg

in that style, i imagine you could make something like it for cheap. since it folds thought it would work well. harris is expensive but you might find a cheapo for almost nothing.

and the front and rear panels you might consider handles if the latches still will close, as you were going for the radio theme.
vvc1099.jpg

anyway its just a thought or idea. you seem to be doing great on your own anyway. cant wait to see the finished project. and congrats on getting a sponsor. free stuff for a little advertising is always cool.

u could make your headset or mic dressed up to match the radio look if you wanted since its for lans, i doubt your gonna haul speakers with you.

Wow...

That idea rocks man! i never thought of something like that! i don't think it would be very hard to mod a tripod because i think a bipod would be hard to get hold of thread a hole in the monitor case

I love it! im going to have to get looking for a second hand tripod now :p

i was thinking handles im not sure how much room i have for them though but something im definately going to look into aswell as radio headset :)

Thanks for the inspiration!

im sure you can find tripods for cameras cheap but not sure if they will be what your looking for. but i got one for my camera for 20 bucks way back when, but its overkill for that as its 4-5 ft extended. but they do make smaller ones. anyway im sure you guys will come up with something cool.

Ahhh i see

Yeh i was thinking that sorta like what zapwizard did but i was trying to keep it watertight

im hoping to take it to a lan event one time when i replace the hardware and i will be camping when this baby has the latches on its sealed absolutely watertight nothing getting in or out ;) so ideal for literally just dropping at the bottom of my tent and not worrying about possible leaks

Im probebly replacing the front and back as well now i have a few new idea and install more fans and mesh ventilation for when its open and working

Just realized that when its being used, the front and back will be open allowing air to be sucked through it. Sounds like a great concept for a camping unit. Now, to use a low power laptop CULV processor or some 45w unit and a miniITX board. If you can power everything with a 9cell laptop battery, this thing could be awesome. Though, I guess you would need an LED backlit display and a laptop mobile GPU to keep power levels down as low as possible.

Thanks to all you guys :)

Mini Update to all forums i have this on

The package from Bill turned up sadly i was out when it did and now its been sent back to the office.

luckily thats only a 5minute walk but i have to wait till monday now as i need to give them 24 hours for it to be sorted again will post a video on a very first unboxing of the stuff.

Just trying to keep this alive as i know i've been slacking ALOT! since around christmas time

wow! Thats so weird! someone should do a case mod on that we'll see if i can get some more :p

Hope so bill picking it up tommorow can't wait

Finally updates! :)

Done some work on the Machine and Monitor today so here it is!
1000811f.jpg

reinforced the back panel that snapped with a piece of angled metal riveted
1000814y.jpg

1000816wl.jpg

back panel mounted on standoff nuts
1000819m.jpg

1000820f.jpg

1000822f.jpg

sadly the cold cathodes i got didn't fit so it they'll go in the pile for "Lanmunition V2" instead we used this light
1000824e.jpg

Hd activity mounted on a standoff behind fan so you can see it nicely when its spinning
1000830l.jpg

got all new bolts in the fan and grill
1000832.jpg

added a reset switch and soldered some stuff up
1000833o.jpg

heres the back so far hoping to add some grill for ventilation this will be sprayed black and cleaned up a little
1000834.jpg

most of the front soldered on just need some cleaning and tidying up not permanent because we still need to finish the front panel and paint
1000839a.jpg

finally time to see if we have killed anything in the process so it was time to hook up some stuff and switch it on!
1000835b.jpg

booted fine everything seemed to work except the light it had a mercury switch that thought to have caused the problem but was later found out to be the terminal in the socket which was easily fixed just solder straight to the bottom of the lamp :D
1000840e.jpg

remeber the monitor? well atlast we had the time to cut all the holes we needed
power
1000844z.jpg

1000845ji.jpg

video and switch
1000847g.jpg

1000848v.jpg

connected and boom it works!
1000850.jpg

1000851o.jpg

temporarily sitting on top
1000852m.jpg

1000853z.jpg

you can see the light behind the fan
1000852m.jpg

so far with the monitor
1000856fq.jpg

1000857s.jpg

all i have for now im hoping to get most of it finished in the next 2-3 updates

Thanks for reading!

I figured i should post this before i forget

something finally arrived :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CXWDdM0tRU
sorry for lighting it was evening time i got it

Heres some images of the stuff for the people not willing to click a link

1000862.jpg

1000864t.jpg

1000867c.jpg

1000870a.jpg

1000873c.jpg

1000875.jpg

1000877h.jpg

1000880o.jpg

1000881a.jpg

1000882.jpg

1000889y.jpg

1000887n.jpg

1000891l.jpg

Mnpctechs products are truely amazing they are amazing quality my pictures are pretty crappy but every angle on the grill is chamfered perfectly smooth

If you have the money buy one! a perfect addition to anyones case 1/2" aircraft aluminum no need to paint it the finish is pure brilliance. possibly the most extreme fan grill on the planet!

not sure if i'll use the overkill grill on this build or the V2 build i think V2 because i have no room on V1 and its just to wasteful for this one

was just playing round with some monitor ideas i still have the top of the case not sure if i will use it because it never really held together well there needed to be something between the cases to stop them from falling apart using cable ties to keep the latches down.

1000929m.jpg

1000930r.jpg

1000931j.jpg

1000933l.jpg

theres good news and bad news about this the good news is its not coming apart for nothing the bad thing is .... well its not coming apart for nothing!

flipped over and it makes a good base

1000935oi.jpg

1000936ld.jpg

1000937.jpg

i'll probebly be making a bezel from angle aluminum (idea from coffeejunky) im not to happy about paying £12 for it though

Thats all :thumb:

instead of using wire ties use split pins one like they use on car axels or the larger loop one to look like the pins on a hanmd grenade

Dasimpson thats actually a insanely good idea :D

Work work perfect through the little hole in the latch and allow me to take them out aswell instead of cutting and reapplying cable ties all the time

any idea where i can get hold of them is it something you can go buy in a car shop? or is it a more specialist item

hardware stores or car shops.
i used to run a motor caycle that had ammo boxes on for panyers used them for the exact same thing.
also had a case like ur using for ur screen to house my laptop with my satnav software and etc.
all conntrolled from a 7inch touch screen on bars.
the bike was a custem built supermoto.
im afarid it is long gone now had run in with a car

Hmmmmmmm going to have to look into getting some of the pins i like that idea :) Thanks!

Started some painting so heres what i got so far seeming im not getting new paint until next weekend :(

1000955.jpg

old can found at my dads work 3/4 full
1000960l.jpg

got my mod bag out :)
1000957.jpg

1000958q.jpg

1000961.jpg

1000962y.jpg

painted the underside of the latches first can you tell the difference? :p
1000964d.jpg

1000966c.jpg

1000969pt.jpg

need to fix a few areas that did'nt go so well
1000972d.jpg

never done the curled latches
1000975w.jpg

1000980b.jpg

only got the top of the top layer done
1000981.jpg

again needs finishing up
1000982ux.jpg

1000983.jpg

love the way plastic-kote paints are you can lay it on pretty nice and it won't go all horrible some places did a little bit but with a rub down and repaint you don't notice the difference!

Well thats all i got for now going to add the mesh to the front and stuff soon so be ready for more updates aswell as finishing painting!

Thanks for looking :)

Updates!! WOOOO

1001016p.jpg

One of the Bits of paint from the last time layed on to thick and i was'nt so happy with it so i went over it again you can see how it took off everything down to bare metal and that was a few swipes of some emery
1001019xf.jpg

1001020b.jpg

1001021m.jpg

1001022y.jpg

1001024x.jpg

1001027gs.jpg

1001030x.jpg

Mnpctech U channel Moulding
6ft of Mnpctech U channel moulding
Used some Mnpctech Moulding for the cable holes to stop the cables rubbing and cutting
1001050x.jpg

metal pieces where rubbing so used some felt pieces on there :)
1001052ezzr.jpg

1001054p.jpg

1001055r.jpg

1001042r.jpg

screen cleaned

1001065q.jpg

for carrying

More to come

And more!!!

Aswell as the grill and u channel mnpctech sent me some mesh i was originally intending to use it for ventilation but with the powersupply on the other side bare metal mesh is'nt the best idea to put right next to it in the end i decided why not make a mesh faceplate to add an industrial look to the face of the system

Modder's Mesh
a sheet of 12" x 12" Round hole modders mesh
1001078.jpg

1001079k.jpg

1001080m.jpg

cut up against the old test panel its looking good!
1001082h.jpg

I decided a few months ago i would'nt waste the overkill grill on this build but instead use it on another version of the same project because this is more of a "can this work" project now i know it can im planning for the future but i still was'nt sure where the grill would fit in

1001083o.jpg

its wider than the opening of the case

this is the only place it could go eventually
1001084t.jpg

Anyway folks more to come tommorow when i paint the front and add some more aesthetic touches to the monitor and system!

Ok some more work :)

1001085h.jpg

Old just did'nt work well still had to be painted but still not as rough as i hoped this is where the mesh comes in
1001086w.jpg

panel empty
1001088i.jpg

yes i cut the mesh with these i have the blisters to prove it :)
1001090i.jpg

filing clean its hard to file clean and take pictures at the same time :p
1001091e.jpg

1001094h.jpg

test fitting

1001096nv.jpg

Peeeeeeerfeeeeeect

1001100z.jpg

cleaned up the mesh hole with some u channel

1001102.jpg

painting done!

1001103o.jpg

1001104b.jpg

Thats better

1001107xr.jpg

1001110x.jpg

in the process of jiggling wires i pulled out a few so have to resolder... :(

1001111.jpg

Doooone!!

1001112f.jpg

Now go from the top picture to the last two i think the change is very effective :)

Back