Project Lanboy

Flash445

Weaksauce
First of all, sorry for the lack of a better name, as of this moment I can not think of one. :confused: What I plan on doing is modding my old Antec Lanboy case. I bought this case in 2004 to go with my new buil back in my freshman year of high school. In it i had a Athlon XP 2600+, gigabyte nforce 2 ultra 400, fx 5500 blah blah blah. So up until about mid April I had been using that system until my mobo fried, it had something to do with the current fluctuating if i remember correctly. So I build a new computer after reading the ginormous thread on the Abit F-I90HD and decided to take a chance. Knowing I was going to attend college next semester I was not able to get my hands on parts like a Core2Duo so I ended up buying a Pentium D 925, pretty decent Corsair XMS2 ram, and then no graphics card...stuck with the onboard :eek: . Since I was getting a mATX mobo i really wanted a sff case even tho i could still use my lanboy and i manipulated the 'rents into getting me a microfly. So after about two weeks and three mobos later, i decided that i had enough of the Abit mobo and decided to get an EVGA 680i LT. Since i didnt have a vid card with the Abit i also get a EVGA 7600GS which i really regret.... So for a small time, maybe about a month, i had this rig all in my microfly. My cpu cooler of choice during this time was an NT06. Yesterday, after getting plenty of money from fam and friends for graduation, i finally got to buy a dremel. Now that i have the proper tools to start off and alot of time on my hands since its summer, i decided to start modding my old Lanboy and put it to good use. Ive been wanting to mod it for a while, just havent had the time, money, or proper tools. So yeah on to the good stuff i think:

To do:
1) Rear fan is an 80mm fan, I want to use a 120mm
2) Front intake is 80mm, i wanted to make it 120mm, but it seems kinda iffy so ill prolly make it 92mm
3) side window is alright, but i want to try my hand at etching it and adding some cold cathode tubes.
4) color scheme will be something like the colors of these forums, i just like them and they were my old school colors too
5) ill add more as i think about it....

So the first problem i encountered was that the nt06 wasnt doing that much better than the stock Intel HSF, i exchanged it for a Thermaltake Big Typhoon and with the extra money i got myself a Zalman VGA cooler because of the noise of the stock evga one.

Right before starting this thread, i decided to do a test fit because i was wondering how close the big typhoon would be to the power supply. Little did i know i would find more possible problems other than maybe not fitting in my case.

8pin.jpg

will i be able to comfortably fit a 120mm fan there and will it help any since my heatsink isnt tuniq tower style? Also outlined in red is the 8pin mobo power connection, i woudlnt be able to plug that in unless i removed the hsf which would mean i would have to remove the mobo...

DSCF0012.jpg

The bigger circle is for a 120mm fan. Note in the front of the case, my main problem is the bottom hdd support, i think i can fit a 120mm there if i mod the support up a little and mod the hdd cage to hold one less hdd.

DSCF0015.jpg

For future upgrade purposes, i prolly will have to mod the cage and support up huh? i dont think i would be able to fit a 8800 gts or gtx there right now would i?

so yeah my main concern right now are my cpu cooler, what do u guys think would work the best for me? would a zalman 9500 or 9700 work better? at least it would make the rear 120mm exhaust more useful.

You know, this is the first time i've seen a normal LANBoy on [H]ard. I have one myself so i'm interested in seeing what you do it withit . Mine is pretty beat up, and i'm moving my backup machine into my sonata II because my main is in the P182SE now (I <3 Antec), so now i'm open toplay with my lanboy. The main thing I like about the case is how ridiculously light it is.

I'm rambling, but subscribed!

For anyone who read this and the user that subscribed, I would like to apologize for the lack of updates. I cut out the holes for the fans and can post pics of that. I decided to go with a Japanese theme for the case, and decided to etch the window. I had drew out what I wanted to etch but while I was preparing my Dremel for the work the brushes broke. I've also been busy with other things and haven't gotten around to sending in my Dremel to be repaired. I will be going to New Jersey for a conference next weekend and when I return I will try to post pics, send my Dremel to be repaired, and continue work on this mod. I was actually getting pretty excited once I decided on the theme and was getting ready to do all the good stuff :( .

Back