Project Lamniforme: The Worklog [56k Warning! Lots of big pictures!]

daedal

Gawd
Project Lamniforme_____
This is the worklog for my PC, dubbed Project Lamniforme.
The case is a Thermaltake Shark which will see itself modified with several small add-ons but enough rambling, on to the pics. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to post them! I need your ideas!

[EDIT] Posted in the wrong forum. This should be in the Worklog section. Could a mod move it please?

Here's how my PC was running while the frame was out for paint. At least it was cool.

IMG_0008.jpg

Frame was painted flat black. I actually missed a few spots but none that are visible unless you flip the case upside down.

IMG_0012.jpg

The paint came out pretty well, but the flash makes it look a bit weird.

IMG_0013.jpg

Mounted the XP-120 with a Panaflo fan and sleeved the cable. Test fit. All good.

IMG_0016.jpg

Popped it back in for a full test fit because the paint is a bit thick. No problem.

IMG_0019.jpg

Gonna have to paint those heatspreaders black.

IMG_0023.jpg

Looking good so far.

IMG_0024.jpg

I like how the I/O plate ended up but the back looks a bit boring now. Any ideas?

IMG_0025.jpg

Everything fits in pretty well.

IMG_0026.jpg

I'll be working on a black plexiglass "shield" this weekend that will cover and stealth the PSU down to the hard drive bays for a cleaner look. I've also ordered my Vantec fan controller so it should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. More to come.

Here's a quick-and-dirty "sketch" of what I'll be doing with the plexiglass.

IMG_0028.jpg

Man, the Panaflo really seems kinda dirty.
Dunno how I could spruce it up. I'm thinking Armor all would probably do the trick.

Nice job. And yes, armor all will do the trick.

Not to sure on this, but if you paint the heatspreads on the ram will that cause a problem? I thought that the spreaders were made to be air cooled, so if you paint them then that's adding an addition blanket and reducing your cooling by a lot considering paint is not a heat conductor. Do I stand correct or corrected?

Krypto said:
Nice job. And yes, armor all will do the trick.

Not to sure on this, but if you paint the heatspreads on the ram will that cause a problem? I thought that the spreaders were made to be air cooled, so if you paint them then that's adding an addition blanket and reducing your cooling by a lot considering paint is not a heat conductor. Do I stand correct or corrected?
Well from what I've read, heatspreaders do very little to no actual cooling and are considered more of an asthetic thing so I don't think it'll make any difference.

daedal said:
Well from what I've read, heatspreaders do very little to no actual cooling and are considered more of an asthetic thing so I don't think it'll make any difference.
Heatspreaders do exactly what their name indicates. They don't exactly 'disapate' heat very well (although they do). Their main purpose is to evenly distribute the heat across the spreaders. This way, no one particular memory chip gets too hot. If you've ever seen a thermal shot of memory, they have a tendency to heat up in one spot and get quite warm.

Heatspreaders just help even out that heat so it's not so concentrated in one area. This helps the memory perform better under stress, as well as help with the longevity of the memory.

Mr. Baz said:
Heatspreaders do exactly what their name indicates. They don't exactly 'disapate' heat very well (although they do). Their main purpose is to evenly distribute the heat across the spreaders. This way, no one particular memory chip gets too hot. If you've ever seen a thermal shot of memory, they have a tendency to heat up in one spot and get quite warm.

Heatspreaders just help even out that heat so it's not so concentrated in one area. This helps the memory perform better under stress, as well as help with the longevity of the memory.

Thank you for clearing that up for me Mr. Baz. I would say go for it on the painting of the spreaders then :D

Hmm, I'll have to remove the tape from the heatspreadders. Anyone know where I can buy some back?

I just ordered three 120mm Evercool aluminum fans with Blue LEDs. They should arrive on Wednesday if all goes well.

Cool stuff :) I like it.

Why do you want a clear plexiglass window? The Thermaltake Shark has that honey comb feature. I thought that would be good for airflow.

I see the screws that are holding in the video card and other PCI slots are not the std. Thermaltake Shark ones. Where did you find those? are they just thumb screws?

HDBox2d1 said:
Cool stuff :) I like it.

Why do you want a clear plexiglass window? The Thermaltake Shark has that honey comb feature. I thought that would be good for airflow.

I see the screws that are holding in the video card and other PCI slots are not the std. Thermaltake Shark ones. Where did you find those? are they just thumb screws?

Yeah, they are just thumbscrews. I'm using them in my Tsunami as well, since the PCI clips are an ugly purple/green combo, and I'm taking them out till I get around to painting them.
Also, some people may like the look of the thumbscrews better...

HDBox2d1 said:

dont think he's using it as a window. it's just to cover the drive bays and the power supply.
well, at least i think that's what he's doing. it's been doon in a few cases recently, and i like the look of it.

Just curious, how much did it cost to get the case internals painted like that - I have a blue case that would look good with a black or dk blue inside...

Back