• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project: J E N O V A P C

Ang

Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
597
So after doing my Iori Yagami mod on a crappy case with a crappy computer

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1287508&highlight=iori+yagami

Pentium D 805 2.66 GHz (Thing ran so hot 60C in BIOS and most monitor programs wouldn't recognize the Processor)
8600GT
2GB ram
yadda yadda yadda

I start with a new case and new computer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119149&Tpk=coolermaster+340

Q6600
8800GT
2GB ram
yadda yadda yadda


Main reason to get this case too because it fits Tuniq Tower!!!
I wanted a microATX case because when I travel to LANs everything is much easier to haul. Basically I started with the foundation of cutting holes out of where I needed them.

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG


http://www.bestgameffvii.mysteria.cz/img/FFVIIAC-Jenova.jpg

There is a picture of Jenova for reference (FF7 series). The colour I want to emit from the case is the tealish colour of Makou energy, and for it to be soft, and blend from Green/Teal/Blue/White so the colour is inconsistent all the way around.

I also plan to put a window on the side of the case and put a decal or applique on the window of the above picture. And behind where the eye is red put a Red LED there that is attached to the HDD activity.

Which brings me to my next question:
Does anyone know what voltage the motherboard gives to the HDD LED?
And I shouldn't have problems splicing the Regular HDD LED and the new one I add on the window in parallel so they will both be attached on the motherboard correct?
 
My favorite game of all time...... Anyways i cant wait to see the finished product.
 
Which brings me to my next question:
Does anyone know what voltage the motherboard gives to the HDD LED?
And I shouldn't have problems splicing the Regular HDD LED and the new one I add on the window in parallel so they will both be attached on the motherboard correct?

Wasn't that your first question? :D

To answer it though, most LEDs run off of 1.8V-2.2V, and because they're a diode, voltage only travels one way through them and the voltage drop across the LED is always constant. The motherboard will have a resistor in series with each LED to provide the current. Running multiple LEDs in parallel will just have the effect of reducing the current (read: brightness) of each LED. I'd recommend against using LEDs of different colors in parallel, because they have different voltage drops. Your best bet is to buy 2 leds the same and replace the HDD led in the front of your case.
 
But do you know what the Voltage the motherboard provides to the LED alone is?
 
And I shouldn't have problems splicing the Regular HDD LED and the new one I add on the window in parallel so they will both be attached on the motherboard correct?

I'd recommend against using LEDs of different colors in parallel, because they have different voltage drops. Your best bet is to buy 2 leds the same and replace the HDD led in the front of your case.

But do you know what the Voltage the motherboard provides to the LED alone is?

i don't know off the top of my head, but i imagine there's probably a bit of variance across manufacturers and even specific rigs, but within general spec range logan321 pointed out. if you need a really precise voltage measurement, you should probably get a voltmeter.

as for the wiring itself, your other 'best bet' would be to wire them in series and include a resistor for each LED on the circuit. i'd normally consider that overkill, but since you want to wire it to your mobo, better safe than sorry. are you tryign to make the window etching glow and flicker alongside the HDD activity?
 
The LED would be pointing out of the case... kind of like it is the eye of the picture. I think it would be nifty if the HDD activity LED went in the eye. Maybe I could always just reroute it? We will see.
 
Sorry it wasn't really a Worklog, since I haven't had my Camera since I moved. Actually a still don't have it, but the pictures were taken with my Girlfriend's BB phone. Excuse poor quality.

It didn't turn out how I would have liked it to, but it still looks pretty cool.

I couldn't get the picture to look clear on the plexiglass, and to be able to be see through at the same time =\..

And I couldn't get a uniform nice MAKOU colour out of it.. But for now I think I am done.

IMG00066.jpg


IMG00060.jpg


IMG00061.jpg


IMG00062.jpg


IMG00063.jpg


IMG00065.jpg



Forgot to tuck the cables away for pictures :(...
 
Re-did the wiring, and made a bigger window. I wasn't a fan of the grated look at the bottom.

Finally found my Camera Charger!!!! My CM Elite340 :)

212aa02.jpg


n3ke3s.jpg


28vgc1z.jpg


edit:

Had to do a drawing final. Pretty much draw whatever you want from observation (no pictures, had to be seen in person). He said either make it a REALLY good drawing, or creative. I think I'll be the only one bringing a computer to class that day. Just like I was the only one to lug 20 bricks in a suitcase that I drew the Sears Tower on.

2uzulol.jpg





I want to replace the gun and dice with a laser etched picture of Jenova to finish the theme of this. Just need a place to do it for a better price than $100 that I found on the internet -_-.
 
hey an update! the new window looks much better. also, good luck finding someone who'll do anything custom for less than $100. maybe if you find someone who has their own equipment, or access to it, and isn't doing it to make money. other than that... good luck.

PS:
Just like I was the only one to lug 20 bricks in a suitcase that I drew the Sears Tower on.

wait, you drew the sears tower on the bricks/suitcase, or you sat on the bricks/suitcase in order to draw the sears tower? lol either way that's... interesting.
 
Haha.

I took 20 bricks and laid them on the ground. And I drew the Sears Tower and surrounding buildings on those 20 bricks like it was paper, and I drew it with a Sharpie.
 
nice mod.
regarding your question about the hdd activity led voltage:
i think the boards run some sort of potential divider. i can remember allways measuring a voltage near the max. specified for the led connected to the header.
the led is supplied with +5v from the + pin on the header, the other pin is tied to ground when the hdd is active.
 
A little update..

Messed around with cathodes and trying to wire 2 to work on 1 connection.. Kinda worked but not as I expected.

2eqaw7r.jpg

2amdr7.jpg

14w6ogk.jpg

2heylc5.jpg


A lot closer to the color I wanted to get for this mod. I actually have a new idea of something I want to add on top of the case. Got the idea from :

http://metku.net/modgallery/detail.php?id=5554


and basically a stylized version of the word JENOVA on top of the case in steel with a layer of plexi underneath with LEDs to light it up. :)

Something along the lines of this in steel probably cut it out with a dremel...

wv7al1.jpg


I am leaning towards the middle one.. but I would really like to do the bottom plain one, but I can't really cut curves with a dremel that well. Any tips?
 
the second one above is def the nicest,

if your cutting curves with a dremel, make the cut 2mm to the waste side of your line and then just take your time using the dremel to grind away the waste, its time comsuming but it will work
 
the second one above is def the nicest,

if your cutting curves with a dremel, make the cut 2mm to the waste side of your line and then just take your time using the dremel to grind away the waste, its time comsuming but it will work

What about the portion where the O and the N meet at the top? That little divot part? And what would you use? Just a sanding wheel?
 
Back
Top