Project "Impossible Modding"

Holy shit!
this company is my dream come true!!!
tnx for the link, I'll get in touch now!
Really, you gave me a fantastic link!

LOL, they do even gold plating!
Now my wife want to send all sort of stuff to the custom polishing... :)

One little more chromed item :

DSC06267.JPG

Motherboard spacer, chromed :-]
I know, near useless, but I love to see the chrome under the motherboard tray, I hate to see the yellow of the spacer protunding...
ASAP more up, sorry for the upload delay, but the real life, and the real work , is killing me...

Some shopping from my favourite shop :

DSC06279.JPG

Scrap alu pieces, 10 euros all the pieces :)
Now it's the time to take some measure for the optical drive box :

DSC06281.JPG

Now I have all the measure, it's time to cut!First piece :

DSC06284.JPG

Not so bad, now I have to do the other pieces...

This is how I want to secure the box :

DSC06287.JPG

3M Dual Lock, I love it!

DSC06288.JPG

This is the side, you can see the two red stripes, they are the protection for the double sided tape that I use, it'an other 3m products, it cost a lot, near 6 euros for 2 meters..

DSC06290.JPG

A little question...
Nobody is wandering why the relative position of the two drives is so important? It's to fix in place the original bay cover!

First of all, 3 U-shaped pieces of alu, 8mm each side:

DSC06298.JPG

Some holes, tapped to M4 only from one side...

DSC06302.JPG

The other side, more holes, but this time tapped M3 like the original screw of the bay cover. One last work is missing, the polishing!

DSC06303.JPG

It's not good, but I can polish more in future, this part will be recessed, so I don't care a lot now...

Let's go on to the box :

DSC06306.JPG

the lower angle are in alu, 3cm each side, the top ones are 2cm, the overall height will be 5 cm and 2 mm, for the base and the top..

DSC06308.JPG

The top... I've managed to obtain a quick opening method, so I've used normal M4 stainless steel screws :

DSC06310.JPG

Not so bad, now I have to polish it, but will be the work for next modding session!

Here is a little up...

imp_09.jpg

Take a look at the left lower corner...
Yes, is the Bit-Tech logo , the Project Impossible Modding is in contest for the Mod of The Month, as you can read HERE.

If you want to give me a vote, CLICK HERE .

I'm so happy!!!

Tnx a lot, for me win this contest is not the first think that I have in mind...
I'm so honoured to be selected that I can't say more...

I must tip my hat to you on all the awesome work you've done. Your dedication to acheiving nothing less than perfection is really going to make this mod stand out in the end, head and shoulders. But really, why go with an 8500GT when a 7600GT is so much faster for less money?

Tnx for the vote... really thx to all!
But, why i have to pay for an 7600 when the sponsor give me for free an 8500?
:)

Long time has passed since the last update...
The work is killinkg me, and the translation isn't quick...
BTW, I would give you a little preview :

DSC06589.JPG

Please, be patient...

Let's begin with a scrap piece of alu, 0.8mm tickness

DSC06458.JPG

This is the near perfect measure, for two 40mm fans. Let's do some hole :

DSC06459.JPG

the alu is a little bit bent, but for this reason i do some test before the final piece... This is the tool that I use :

DSC06455.JPG

Can anyone suggest me the correct name in english?

This is the final result :

DSC06460.JPG

Bending with an hammer :

DSC06461.JPG

Near finished :

DSC06462.JPG

Now let's test it for the measure !

Not so bad...

DSC06463.JPG

Now I have to redo this piece, moving a little bit up the fan holes and preparing the fixing holes, but the protype is done!

Let's continue with the fans support :

DSC06543.JPG

Two scrap pieces of alu, I must polish it!

DSC06545.JPG

And now, the holes:

DSC06547.JPG

I've decided to prepare two pieces in one time...

Here are the choosen fans :

DSC06557.JPG

Manufactured from Titan, specification :

Model : TFD-4010M12B
Voltage : 12V
Ampere : 0.07A
Power consumption W : 0.84W
Speed : 5000 RPM
CFM : 4.93 CFM
dB : 21DB
Dimension : 40mm
Height : 10mm

I know, a little bit noisy, I would like to have the 20mm model, but won't fit at all...
Preparing the fans :

DSC06560.JPG

This tape gives the best result if is clamped in sme way, so I've clamped!

DSC06562.JPG

After 4 hours of wait I'm ready to continue!

First test :

DSC06563.JPG

Ok, I'm quite satisfied!
Here is a little add on for the fans :

DSC06567.JPG

It's a cooling extender, this can help the system temps to go down at the shout off .
When I switch off the pc, this little extender will prolongue the fan action for 5 minutes, switching the 12v to 5v. As you can see, the 5v are taken from the psu +5 with a supplied connector, that I don't use :)
I've picked up 3 of this devide, 2 for the hard disk, one for the rad fans, each device can drive 2 fans.

Working on Titan cooler

A little vid for explaination...

wow great work, cant wait to see the end result, i like the crome that youve had done

now are on the road to my home even the mosfet waterblock, custom made by a friend..
And I will chrome them :)

Now that I've tested all, let's do more :

DSC06571.JPG

And now, the power lines :

DSC06573.JPG

Two original cables was cutted in half to give power to 2 device, on the right you can see the two cables for the rad fans... Let's crimp all toghether :

DSC06576.JPG

It's ready! now, you remember the usb hub that goes under the psu? the molex used have the 12v pins free, so I reuse this connector, less molex and cables around :)
Finally, the two hard disk :

DSC06578.JPG

Now I have to think about whent I have to change the disk or pull out the disk tray... I need a long piece of tubing...
But I'm in pain, if the tube get shrinked? I've at home this springs, so I can use in my mod :)

DSC06579.JPG

Let's take a look with the spring attached...

DSC06581.JPG

It's ok! But taking apart the mobo tray you can see the mess :

DSC06589.JPG

Now the hard disk part of this project is ready, let's continue with more pieces :)

The complexity of this case is incredible :eek:, very nice work . p.s. im enjoying the videos even though I barely understand them

Tnx for the comments, guys!
Little preview of what is on the road to my home :

mosfet3.jpg

The famous waterblock for the mosfet for my DFI! they are made in pure copper, created on my measure, because nobody have this kind of waterblock in shop... So I've asked to Lunasio if he can do this work... Really a kind person!

mosfet4.jpg

The base of the waterblock, non so bad! Consider that are in a "working" phase, as soon the arrive here I'll do some polishing job, that I'll give to the chrome guy...

mosfet5.jpg

The joining between the top and the base, hand soldered, this need some hard polishing to make it invisible! I need even to make the mounting holes , but it's not a trouble!
Really tnx to Lunasio, www.lunasio-cooling.com
Comments?
Questions?

Taking a look around, I've noted this :

DSC06407.JPG

This is one of the mobo bracket, I can't leave this scratch!

DSC06408.JPG

An old toothbrush, medium grane polish , drill and plastic brush. After 30 minutes of work :

DSC06410.JPG

Not so satisfied... Go on!

Now I want to use my favourite polish, Iosso. I've changed the plastic brush with a soft wheel, first pass :

DSC06412.JPG

After one hours of work, here is the final result :

DSC06416.JPG

Mmm, not good as I would like, but it's ok, when the mobo is locked in place nobody will see this :)

Little trouble on my way : the chipset hheat spreader is locked in place with a spring, no holes to secure the waterblock :-(

DSC06337.JPG

Not so easy to plan how to do....

DSC06338.JPG

After talking to some friends, I've decided to reuse the original spring :

DSC06340.JPG

Not fantastic, but it works, considering that the waterblock is highter than the orgininal heat spreader...

Comparative pics :

DSC06401.JPG

At the left : orginal mounting accessory from the Cabe : iron bolt, iron washer, hard plastic washer.
At the right : stainless steel bolt, stainless steel washer, soft rubber washer.
Ok, now you can tell me that I'm mad :)

Now it's the time to work on the pump and on the reservoir.
The new mobo is bigger than the previous ASrock, so I have to find a new place for the pump... First solution :

DSC06483.JPG

Let's prepare something to keep the reservoir in place :

DSC06486.JPG

L shaped alluminium, 3cm and 2cm in size, pvc tubing and here is the first prototype :

DSC06487.JPG

Mmm, not good...

Here is the place where I put this piece :

DSC06488.JPG

On the top I've placed a little plate of alu, to give a bigger base to the raservoir :

DSC06490.JPG

Ok, res in place, and the pump?

DSC06494.JPG

Seems ok...
But in this position the mobo tray won't fit at all!
Oh, my god....

Solution?
Exchanging the top with the new one from OCLabs!
Here is the vid of the entire process :

Top exchange

After the sostitution here is the clearance between the mobo tray and the pump :

DSC06503.JPG

Do you think I'm lucky?
Even I :)
Pump and res in place :

DSC06504.JPG

Not so much free space, but now I can have the pump and the res not so distant...
More up to come, I've to try a new position...

To gain some free space, I've cutted a little piece from the Cabe , here is another mockup of the pump :

DSC06519.JPG

Just an idea, too curces for me, maybe in this way is better ?

DSC06511.JPG

We will see in future, at this time I'm happy that every items fin in the case :)

Tnx to Vecchiop a week ago are arrived the big spacer for the fan/rad mounting :

DSC06506.JPG

Two different size, one is 8mm little than the other, so I have the right space for the M4 screw. The main concept is this :

DSC06241.JPG

But having two size, the finished design is this :

DSC06508.JPG

Not so bad...

Mounted in place :

DSC06509.JPG

In this way the screws works better than the old release, they are embedded in a sort of binary and the joint is stronger!
So I told to VecchioP to do the real pieces, in two days they arrived here :

DSC06554.JPG

This is the raw piece, I need to sanding a lot this baby, but will be a really time consuming task, it's stainless steel...
I hate me, he suggest to use alu, but I want stainless steel...
A big thanks fly out to VecchioP, be sure to check his worklog !

Back