• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project : IBM server 300 (BIG 56K WARNING! )

DR_K13

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Messages
3,491
I found this old ibm server at work, I took tons of stuff from it for other mods, Now I have to get rid of it, I thought " what a waste!! , Its a cool case for an old mule " so I decided to gut it and make a Server for myself. I know I am going to have to do some major mods to this thing to even make it work. As far as looks go, I am going to paint it flat black ( stealth fighter mat black) and make some blood red LEDs to give it that sinister look. I might put in twin AMD Opterons, Its going to be alot of work and it might take a while, But I hope to do a very nice mod. Here is what I have done so far.

DSC00052.JPG


as you can see I raped this thing before, nice huge 125 PSU look at that socket 3!!!


DSC00050.JPG

if anyone wants any of this stuff I still have it ( I doubt anyone does! )



DSC00051.JPG


sorry about this pic , Its blurry because my battery died :mad: But at least its gutted and ready to go. Next phase Sand , cut prime and Paint!

DSC00054.JPG


P.S. does anyone know where I can get a power switch with jummpers on it>? the old one was connected to the psu !!!
 
You might want to consider resizing those pics to something people can actually view without having to scroll a full page over to the right.
 
You should be able to get power/reset switches from any old atx case. I think you should keep all the hardware in there and make it an old school server, but that would somewhat steal the idea that I am working on...
 
I might keep the psu, but its only a 125, the old mobo is trashed, I was going to keep it in there, but I am forced to go atx now.. what are you working on jcm44? old school?? :cool:
 
The psu that came with that case is only a 125, I found a switch online for 3 bucks, No way I am going to use that old psu! :D I want a 500! :p :D
 
read the guide i posted, its exactly what you want to do :)
 
ok thanks FLECOM how is your mod comming along? And I thought my case has huge!
 
DR_K13 said:
ok thanks FLECOM how is your mod comming along? And I thought my case has huge!

i just got the case yesterday jeeze :p

anyway its going to not be a fast one... gotta fit it in between all the other stuff you know :(
 
ya FLECOM I know, Mine is going to take a while too, I just got excited over yours! Its sweet! :D
 
DR_K13 said:
I might keep the psu, but its only a 125, the old mobo is trashed, I was going to keep it in there, but I am forced to go atx now.. what are you working on jcm44? old school?? :cool:

Well the machine I am going to mod is just a PIII 733, but I am going to do some old school mods. Nothing flashy, just take it back to the days when a good paint job and a blow hole were ultra cool.

My true old school computer, I trash. It wasn't worth the effort. It was a Pentium 100 (I think). I added a scsi controller card and a 2 gig scsi drive for boot. It had an ISA sound card and a 2 3com ISA nics. Every slot was filled because nothing was onboard. PCI video, and IDE controller card. You know, the good stuff from the '90s.
 
Im currently doing an AT to ATX form factor conversion mod to one of my cases. It is an OLD gateway case, but I love it! I would post a worklog, but I dont have access to a camera. Im going to be posting before and after pics in a week or so.
 
you should paint it like metallic blue or something and call it "Big Blue" :D
 
stealth black is where its at man, was it you that painted your ibm blue filcom? I hope to do some work on this pig tomarrow!
 
we gonna get any kinda updates on this thing or what? =?

sheesh ten days and not a peep outta this thing...you could at least post and say "hey im lazy/have to work for a living/died" or something for me, that'd at least keep me up to date on it :p :D
 
OKOK I have been dead, but now I have come back to life . :rolleyes:
No I have been so damn busy at work, I havent given up on my project, I am going to start chopping at the thing this weekend, I have been eyeballing the back panel this week in my spare time, looks to be a tough one. but I will do something to it this weekend and post it for you guys.
sorry about the delay :(
 
you wont be running any UpdateXpress cd on that bad boy :D

what are the specs on that PSU?
 
acascianelli, I dont know what psu it is but it is underpowered (125w) and huge, I still have it, but i think that I will put a new one in. I have a cool micro atx psu that I will put in. The hardest thing about modding this thing is that I am building 3 other computers at the same time for other people, and I am trying to keep the cost close to $0 by using old parts off junked computers from work. I might have to buy a new mobo and ram, but I was looking at combo deals on tigerdirct.
 
Ok I plan on sanding and painting in the next few days, but I wanted to drop an old mobo and psu in to see how much room I have, a few problems come to surface. first off as you can see the thing is huge, I took the front cover off so I can start sanding it

DSC00062.JPG


so here is the pic with the unbolted mobo ( fryed of course ) in it, so much room . the bummer is that I am going to have to cut out the back panel and weld in a custom one because its way too open

DSC00064.JPG


here is the micro atx psu I am looking to put in, I know I can fit a huge one in , but this little booger is 300w and Will power a server fine, plus I want to keep as much room open as I can.

DSC00066.JPG

DSC00067.JPG


what do you guys think of using that micro atx psu? granted i am re-doing the back of this thing, the pics are size comparing only. Ok off to sand the front while I think of the back, and I will post more pics when I finish the front bezel ( a day or two I hope) :D
 
Why do you want to save so much space? Wouldn't it be better if you got a bigger PSU, and keep the mobo place. You would still have a lot of room left over.
 
hmm... you seem to be banned...

EDIT: ah.. backtracked it to the my wife left me thread... you'll back in a few days
 
bump i want to see the worklog of this if you ever finished it. I have exact same case sitting in closet and was about to work on it
 
JESUS!!! I didn't think anyone else had one of those.... shit mine still works and is running my network =] damn that 200mhz Ppro still screams!! HAHAHA nice mod I had been thinking about throwing something else in the case cause I had always felt that the case was the perfect server case.... anyways wanna see this one get done!!
 
well i just finished putting my mobo and PSU in it but i am debating what actual mod to do, cant think of a good color to go with it, black is over used so i might do a cloth theme mixed with doom 3 or sumthin like that. Any idea how to use a hinge on that, maybe a lamborgini kind of door? would that be possible?
 
U could make doors like on a lambo ..... but I think it would be easier if u cut the sides off the top and back of the case housing then made it pivot from the top instead of the front w/ some small hydrollic rods to lift it up ..... would be easier to support and would be less action in the door

The doors on a lambo usually pivot out and then up from the front so u would have to be able to allow the side panel to come out as well and be supported while lifting up

I think gullwing doors like on a delorian(sp?) would solve this by a simple hinge at the top although u prolly could do it the other way
 
yeah i was thinking about that (for anyone who doesnt know what we are talking about here is a pic:

|_|\

thats facing the back of the pc) but that just wouldnt work for me because of the space around it, i might just make it like a normal pc insted of the whole thing as a whole coming off.
 
Now that im lookin at mine (I was at school during prev. post) Im not sure how u would fit that in on the side ....
 
I ran into some trouble and need to save money for a bit. I will start back on this project soon, I am going to build it for my brother and build an A64 gamming rig for him, just waiting on the cash, I will keep everone posted :)


EDIT --- Case IS gone :mad:
 
Back
Top