Project: Hutch, a Qmicra v2 gets liquid...

craigbru

[H]ard|Gawd
Another project begins... In a change of pace however, this one isn't for me. It's for friend of mine, and since we couldn't come up with anything more creative, we'll be using his nickname "Hutch" as the project title. In true L.O.S.I.A.S. fashion, this project will fit in with everything else I've done. It won't be as extreme as my prior endeavors, but I'll still make very efficient use of space.

This time around, I'll be working with a PC Design Lab Qmicra v2. Hutch managed to procure one of these beauties after speaking with Dave Lalopa of PCDLAB. He requested one that had not yet been painted, and that's exactly what I received.

I took delivery of a surprising light and compact box...

project-hutch-008.jpg

project-hutch-009.jpg

project-hutch-010.jpg

project-hutch-011.jpg

project-hutch-013.jpg

project-hutch-012.jpg

After looking over the case inside and out, I've got to say that I'm impressed with it's engineering and build quality. The all aluminum case is also shockingly light. That doesn't mean it's flimsy, there just aren't any extraneous bits on it. Everything has a purpose... and that's exactly what I love in a case.

With the case probed and disassembled... the fun stuff is about to begin.

Looks rather sci-fi-ish from the outside :D

Can't wait to see what you're going to do with it :)

Now that we've had a little preview of the case, it's time to go over my design goals for this case. The case comes ready for fitment of a 120mm dual radiator. That's quite a nice feature for a small form factor case. However, what do you do if you want more cooling power? Well, you add another radiator of course. That's exactly what I will be doing here. Now, this would be the first Qmicra with a pair of dual 120mm radiators, but it will be the first (to my knowledge) that doesn't make a sacrifice in doing so. Every other attempt has put a second radiator on the left side of the case, and in doing so, has sacrificed at least one slot on the motherboard. Also, when taking that approach, you immediately lose the hard drive caddy. Actually, you lose at least one caddy when adding to a radiator to the right side as well. So. you would then have lost both caddy's (4 drives), and a slot on the motherboard. That's completely unacceptable. I believe that the whole point in modding, is to add function or features, without compromising others.

So, with my inability to compromise, I've made a few basic decisions about the direction of this mod. I'm not going to lose any slots on the motherboard, I'm going to have room for 4 hard drives, there will be room for a pump and reservoir, and the interior well be kept clean and organized.

When you look at the interior of this case, there's really only one other good option for radiator placement. The front... However, in order to put a radiator there, I need to make a few changes. The stock location for the power switch simply won't do. It's time to break out the dremel...

project-hutch-001.jpg

project-hutch-002.jpg

project-hutch-003.jpg

project-hutch-004.jpg

Now that we've got the old center section and mesh out of the way, it's time to get some new mesh cut and put in place.

project-hutch-005.jpg

project-hutch-006.jpg

project-hutch-007.jpg

There we have it! We now have the area completely opened up, and can get the radiator placement figured out.

i kinda like how the case looks w/o paint... from the pic the surface seems..... rough? or is it sanded down nicely and smooth?

It's relatively smooth, but not completely. Let's just say that I think paint will stick to it quite nicely.

Wow, Craig. This is gonna be awesome as always. I love the look of sanded aluminum, but paint will look so much better when you get it slapped on there.

Subbed, of course.

Glad to have you aboard the mod train

aboard? mods like yours inspired me to get a cabin. and actually, i showed project rogue to a friend of mine and that, all on its own, got him into the idea of case modding as well.

Excellent, i get to follow one of your mods as it develops craig. A friend of mine recommended that i come here to look at your ROGUE mod and i was not disappointed.
Looking forward to following this one.
:)

First Dremel Action~ *giggles* :D

Sorry about that ;)

very nice so far Craig. Looking forward to this. When you are finished with your buddies we can get to work on mine. :p

aboard? mods like yours inspired me to get a cabin. and actually, i showed project rogue to a friend of mine and that, all on its own, got him into the idea of case modding as well.

Lol, very nice! Once you start, you just can't stop. It becomes a bit of an addiction. :p

ooo, another tiny case mod, i'm expecting 3 systems plus a phase change unit inside :p

Funny you should mention 3 systems... Although this mod is relatively simple, I am working on something for myself that has 3 separate systems...

dualityconceptv2jc3qg4.jpg

Excellent, i get to follow one of your mods as it develops craig. A friend of mine recommended that i come here to look at your ROGUE mod and i was not disappointed.
Looking forward to following this one.

I appreciate the kind words!

welcome to [H] BMF ;)

I agree, welcome!

First Dremel Action~ *giggles* :D

Sorry about that ;)

Lol, not a problem.

very nice so far Craig. Looking forward to this. When you are finished with your buddies we can get to work on mine. :p

Let me know, I'm easy to get a hold of. :D

im AMPED for this shit
you always make the slickest mods
subbed

Great! I'll try and keep the excitement level up for you... :p Hell, we're even going to have some basement mods make a reappearance. :D

great work

sub'd, bring on the power tools

Thanks guys! We'll see if I can kill another Dremel with this project...

*applauds at the use of a proper CAD app instead of the usual SketchUp*

*applauds at the use of a proper CAD app instead of the usual SketchUp*

SketchUp makes me want to punch kittens... I've been a ViaCAD user for some time, and it's amazing. It's got the 'simplicity' of SketchUp, but the all the power of full-blown CAD software. In fact, I could take the direct upgrade path to SharkFX if I wanted. If you've ever used any real CAD software, and then tried to use SketchUp, it messes with your head. There's so much that seems unintuitive, or just otherwise out of place. That being said, SketchUp does serve one great purpose... I can import anything from the 3D warehouse right into ViaCAD. :D

Yeah, I use the same method for 3D models from Daz with their free 3D application to import those models into 3D Studio :)

Haven't used a CAD tool in a while, though. Last one was IntelliCad, I think, years ago.

I've not used sketchup personally, but I've seen files that came from it. The way it goes about building the meshes is absolutely horrendous. I've had a few Archviz projects where they wanted a discount for providing their sketch up files for import into 3dmax. Of course they're dissapointed when i tell them it makes no difference whatsoever on my workload (the files are useless as the mesh is just so messy) and sorry, no discount. I'm not alone there either. Generally speaking, any professional rendering artist will tell you they hate it.

It's like trying to produce an actual professional set of construction drawings with one of those stupid 'home design' programs from you local b&m. It might work out, but it just really sucks.

Yeah, there's a reason why Sketchup is free :) Also let's not forget that Google isn't exactly well-known for making professional CAD or 3D modelling tools ;)

Definitely subscribing to this one. I ended up with a pair of NZXT Rogues, one with ATX, one with E-ATX inside after Project Rogue started. :D

Yeah, I use the same method for 3D models from Daz with their free 3D application to import those models into 3D Studio :)

Haven't used a CAD tool in a while, though. Last one was IntelliCad, I think, years ago.

Yeah, at least there's one useful application for it. ;)

I've not used sketchup personally, but I've seen files that came from it. The way it goes about building the meshes is absolutely horrendous. I've had a few Archviz projects where they wanted a discount for providing their sketch up files for import into 3dmax. Of course they're dissapointed when i tell them it makes no difference whatsoever on my workload (the files are useless as the mesh is just so messy) and sorry, no discount. I'm not alone there either. Generally speaking, any professional rendering artist will tell you they hate it.

It's like trying to produce an actual professional set of construction drawings with one of those stupid 'home design' programs from you local b&m. It might work out, but it just really sucks.

You're right, the meshes are horrible. When I import something from SU, they are usually pretty cringe-worthy. Luckily I use the parts only for placement concerns.

Yeah, there's a reason why Sketchup is free :) Also let's not forget that Google isn't exactly well-known for making professional CAD or 3D modelling tools ;)

So easy a caveman could do it... :D

Definitely subscribing to this one. I ended up with a pair of NZXT Rogues, one with ATX, one with E-ATX inside after Project Rogue started. :D

Haha, very nice! Thanks!

With the front of the case newly revised, it's time to get a radiator mounted behind it. Looking at the area below the drive bays, you'll see that there are no provisions for mounting fans, let alone a radiator. That means we need to make a custom mount.

There are many different to ways to fabricate a mount, but I wanted something completely unobtrusive, and undeniably simple. Sometimes taking this approach is actually a little harder to plan out, than if I would simply cut out a mount and bolt it in place. However, I decided I didn't want to work around any mount, and to use what was already existing in the case to hold the radiator. So, what does that actually mean? The following pictures will tell the story...

We'll start with this. I used an extra drive bay cover to fabricate a lower radiator mount.

project-hutch-014.jpg

The radiator nicely cradled...

project-hutch-015.jpg

The mount sitting in the case.

project-hutch-016.jpg

The radiator sitting in position.

project-hutch-017.jpg

Okay, now at this point I've got a couple of issues I need to address. The radiator is sitting in place, but how do I keep it from sliding left to right? Also, after time, the mounts would wear in to the radiator casing and cause damage. Oh, and let's not forget about any possible vibration caused by the fans on the radiator... Well, we can't have any of that, can we? So, I decided to address all of the above issues with a decidedly simple solution.

These are silicon bumpers...

project-hutch-018.jpg

I cut a small slit in each one, and mounted them to the radiator.

project-hutch-019.jpg

With the bumpers in place, the radiator is mounted securely, and it's vibration is isolated from the rest of the case.

project-hutch-020.jpg

That takes care of the bottom of the radiator, but what about the top? I still need a similar method for attaching it as well. So, I break out the dremel again and cut notches in to the drive bay support.

project-hutch-021.jpg

Like a glove!

project-hutch-022.jpg

Finally, here is a shot with the radiator fully mounted. It looks like it belongs there. It's also isolated, yet completely secure. It also can be removed completely at a later date, and the case remains almost completely stock.

project-hutch-023.jpg

With the radiator out of the way, I'll work on mounting the pump next. Well, actually, I do have something else to finish up first... Look for the return of a little basement modding. I'm getting a new workshop!

Congrats on the workshop, I could use one as well for my upcoming modding project :)

Nice job on the radiator too!

With the front of the case newly revised, it's time to get a radiator mounted behind it. Looking at the area below the drive bays, you'll see that there are no provisions for mounting fans, let alone a radiator. That means we need to make a custom mount.

There are many different to ways to fabricate a mount, but I wanted something completely unobtrusive, and undeniably simple. Sometimes taking this approach is actually a little harder to plan out, than if I would simply cut out a mount and bolt it in place. However, I decided I didn't want to work around any mount, and to use what was already existing in the case to hold the radiator. So, what does that actually mean? The following pictures will tell the story...

We'll start with this. I used an extra drive bay cover to fabricate a lower radiator mount.

project-hutch-014.jpg

The radiator nicely cradled...

project-hutch-015.jpg

The mount sitting in the case.

project-hutch-016.jpg

The radiator sitting in position.

project-hutch-017.jpg

Okay, now at this point I've got a couple of issues I need to address. The radiator is sitting in place, but how do I keep it from sliding left to right? Also, after time, the mounts would wear in to the radiator casing and cause damage. Oh, and let's not forget about any possible vibration caused by the fans on the radiator... Well, we can't have any of that, can we? So, I decided to address all of the above issues with a decidedly simple solution.

These are silicon bumpers...

project-hutch-018.jpg

I cut a small slit in each one, and mounted them to the radiator.

project-hutch-019.jpg

With the bumpers in place, the radiator is mounted securely, and it's vibration is isolated from the rest of the case.

project-hutch-020.jpg

That takes care of the bottom of the radiator, but what about the top? I still need a similar method for attaching it as well. So, I break out the dremel again and cut notches in to the drive bay support.

project-hutch-021.jpg

Like a glove!

project-hutch-022.jpg

Finally, here is a shot with the radiator fully mounted. It looks like it belongs there. It's also isolated, yet completely secure. It also can be removed completely at a later date, and the case remains almost completely stock.

project-hutch-023.jpg

With the radiator out of the way, I'll work on mounting the pump next. Well, actually, I do have something else to finish up first... Look for the return of a little basement modding. I'm getting a new workshop!

Craig! I didn't know you were on here as well as Sud :p .
Looking good, i have high hopes for an amazing turn out for this matey.

Congrats on the workshop, I could use one as well for my upcoming modding project :)

Nice job on the radiator too!

Yeah, it's been a long time coming. I've just been using an open area in my basement, and now I'll officially have 4 walls and a couple of benches. I can finally keep my 'mess' separated from the rest of the newly finished basement. Lol.

Thanks!

Craig! I didn't know you were on here as well as Sud :p .
Looking good, i have high hopes for an amazing turn out for this matey.

I'm all over the place! Thanks for the compliments! :D

Okay guys, I've got a big non-update update for you. In case you are wondering why there's been no real mod updates, this is it. I've been trying to get some more work done in my basement. A new bathroom is part of it, but of more importance to me, is my new workshop. I'll finally have a decent place to get my work done!

So, here is a pic of my work area before construction started. Classy, isn't it?

Project%20Hutch%20024.jpg

I've started some framing work...

Project%20Hutch%20026.jpg

Project%20Hutch%20027.jpg

Project%20Hutch%20029.jpg

Project%20Hutch%20028.jpg

Project%20Hutch%20030.jpg

Project%20Hutch%20032.jpg

Starting to hang some sheetrock...

Project%20Hutch%20033.jpg

Project%20Hutch%20034.jpg

Project%20Hutch%20035.jpg

Project%20Hutch%20036.jpg

Project%20Hutch%20037.jpg

This weekend I think I'll be ready for primer and paint. Then I can concentrate on getting some workbenches in place. Stay tuned!

Time flies when you're having fun, right? If that's true, then I've been having the time of my life. I finally have an update to show you, and it's been a long time coming. Although construction is finished, I still have some major organization to do in the new workshop. That will come soon enough, but the most important thing, is that I'm able get some modding done!

So, without another moments delay, let's get to those pics.

p3190006.jpg

p3190007.jpg

p3190008.jpg

p3190012.jpg

Now for a few pics of the workshop itself. I've got a nice big area for parts layout and cutting, but I'm only getting started with the details. I'll have plenty of storage, and everything will finally have a place. I've definitely taken a step up from the card table I was working on...

p3190009.jpg

p3190010.jpg

p3190011.jpg

Finally, here are a few pictures of the new bathroom. I never did show any progress pics from the start, but I thought I'd show it to you anyway.

house-005.jpg

house-006.jpg

house-007.jpg

So, pending some final details with the shop, I'm finally back on track. Stay tuned!

In the first few pics, what is on the walls? Looks kind of nice :)

Also, I want your shop ;) Mind if I drop by to borrow it? :D

In the first few pics, what is on the walls? Looks kind of nice :)

Also, I want your shop ;) Mind if I drop by to borrow it? :D

It's a combination of texturing with sheetrock compound, and rag rolling. The two of them together make for a very unique effect.

Well, you're welcome to use it, although it would be quite the trip for you... :D

It's a combination of texturing with sheetrock compound, and rag rolling. The two of them together make for a very unique effect.
Indeed it does. I think it looks really nice :)

Well, you're welcome to use it, although it would be quite the trip for you... :D

Sadly, yeah :( I kind of miss the shop I had years ago. Wish I knew someone with a shop locally :D

The last update left off with the mounting of the front radiator. The second radiator will be covered in a bit, but I need to get the pump mounting figured out first. The picture below represents the location where the pump will be mounted. It's up and out of the way, and should allow easy filling and maintenance. Just because the case is small, doesn't mean it needs to be difficult to work on. I'll be fabricating a new aluminum mount in the next day or two...

project-hutch1-004.jpg

Next up... I've got to get placement of the second radiator figured out. The stock location won't work as it is. The case was never meant to have a radiator mounted up front, so a little revision is needed. I've got to move the mount about 2cm to the rear. Here you can see the tight clearances.

project-hutch-1002.jpg

project-hutch-1003.jpg

Now finally, as part of getting my shop in order, I've dug a little something out of retirement. It's my old Fisher stereo receiver. Granted, it may be 20 years old, but when purchased, it was an amazing piece of equipment. In fact, if you could judge an items worth by the number of buttons alone, then this thing is a king! I've got it attached to some cheap Philips speakers from an old home-theater-in-a-box, and wow... they never sounded so good. Certainly not audiophile quality, but dang nice for a shop. I can now listen to podcasts and watch Hulu loudly enough to drown out a dremel...

project-hutch-1001.jpg

There's much more to come, including actual construction, so check back soon...

Those old receivers are generally indestructible :D

Those old receivers are generally indestructible :D

Without a doubt!

Well guys and gals, I didn't get much done over the weekend. I've really been pushing to get some planning work on OSIDIAS done for the MNPCTech Case Design Competition. I really don't stand a chance against some of the awesome builds in there, but I figure it's worth a shot. Unfortunately, I also had to work at my regular job on Saturday. That took a whole day's worth of modding away from me...

So, what did I get done? Well, I managed to get Vista 64 installed on my new Asus Rampage II Gene mATX and i7 920 combo. I'll tell you this, I've never had such a flawless install. Either in the OS or software. It's also the smoothest and most responsive system I've ever used. It simply feels amazing. You move the mouse, and it's like it already knows where to go. I've really never experienced anything like it. In addition, it's the first system in recent memory that will go into standby, and actually wake up when prompted! All in all, I'm beyond happy with it. My experience's so far, have convinced me that Hutch needs this board... (the board is actually for OSIDIAS).

Back