Project: "Huge Big Tower Thing"

I live in a small one-bedroom apartment. No garage.
And yeah, the floors will need a good vacuuming and mopping when I'm done.

blackacidevil said:
Took me 20 minutes to grind out ONE spot weld today. 25 to go. This could take a while....

20 minutes? why did it take so long?

blackacidevil said:
Cutting the main window tonight, and more stuff on the weekend. Watch for an update Sunday.
I cant wait, this is soo cool!

u_DR_K13

I apologize for a lack of updates.
#1 reason: I got HL2 the weekend I planned to do work. No work got done. You understand.
#2 I work retail. It's Xmas season. 'Nuff said.

Please be patient. Thanx.

blackacidevil said:
#1 reason: I got HL2 the weekend I planned to do work. No work got done. You understand.

Retail's a bitch. Damn customers

blackacidevil said:

No prob. In fact if it wasn't for #2 you probably wouldn't have come across your project :D

*sigh*
Where do I begin...
It was Christmas Eve. The snow was falling outside. I was inside. Engaged in CQC. As an Allied field ops. With an Axis medic. In the Siwa Oasis....

When my monitor went into sleep mode. WTF? i thought. Shut the computer off. Rebooted. Monitor still didnt turn on. Unplugged the monitor. "Check Signal Cable" flashes on the screen. Turned off the PC. Yanked the graphics card. Put it back in. Turned on the comp. Still no effect. Bought a new video card. Installed that. Nothing. Took the Dell to the local PC repair shop. Called me back 2 hours later telling me that they cant do anything to test it properly since Dell uses all proprietary technology and they have nothing compatible to test it against. Labour cost nothing, since they felt bad for me.

Called Dell tech support. Tried every suggestion they gave me. No effect. Bought a brand new harddrive. Tried re-installing XP. Same result. Asked them for a number for a local shop with a Dell-authorized technician. Told me no such place existed anywhere in the world. I told them thanks for all the help but a baseball bat will be my last solution.

Got another Dell on loan from family. Had no OS and the only one it would let me load was WinME. Gates should be castrated for producing such crap. IMO, 3.1 is better.
Oh but wait, I cant get on the internet because there are no drivers for the NIC card installed. There are no drivers for the 56k modem installed. I cant even get on the web with dialup.
It's off to BestBuy with my $100 gift card to purchase a cheap modem so i can download drivers for the NIC card so I can get on my DSL again.

So if you're reading this, I'm back on the web again.

The only good things to come out of this huge problem is:
#1 I'm having more sex.
#2 I actually got more work done on my case.

Front Window

16km5u

Mounting placement for Control Panel

16kmc6

The 2 small square holes are for accomodating the length of the 2 main power switches. The larger cut is for all the wires.

Control Panel Mounted

16kmjt

Well not exactly mounted. Just for show. The bolts I have are not long enough to actually mount it. Have to buy some longer ones.

Optical Drive Mounting

16kmlh

16kmme

Cut 3mm wide slits for mounting the optical drives. This allows me to slide the drives back or forth so when I stealth them, the covers can be put flush with the outside of the case. I'm a genius.
At photo time. I only cut slits for one, as you can see, but there will be 2 drives mounted. And then another set of 2 drives on the other side of the case.
And yes, I smoke near the computer, as you can see on the DVD's front plate.

blackacidevil said:
And yes, I smoke near the computer, as you can see on the DVD's front plate.

I was gonna say... that drive looked pretty nasty... :D

Can't wait to see it finished! Are you still having problems cutting that metal, tho?

I will be watching this mod fer sure looks very interesting, and cant wait to see the Finished product. Keep the work.

Ummm how many complains have ya gotten from the neighbors so far :eek: with all the metal work ya Doin :D

Dre

cool work so far....keep on workin' man
....hmm are you wearin no shoes during work with heavy tools?
could be a little dangerous in my oppinion.

I actually have a 140mm fan. 120V AC powered. It's from an air hockey table. Blows 180CFM.
And it was free.

blackacidevil said:
I actually have a 140mm fan. 120V AC powered. It's from an air hockey table. Blows 180CFM.
And it was free.

Hmmm never thought of an old air hocky blower, sounds good :cool:
and,
OOOOOO Me like FREE, :D just don't get many chances to get FREE :(

more pics, more pics, and oh yeah.
More Pics,

Ummm did I say more Pics ,, oh yeah thats right I did LOL,

Dre

I currently cannot connect my digicam to upload pics. Gonna downgrade to Win 2000.
In the meantime, I downloaded a Windows hack and voila: my current feelings expressed as my Start Button.

fwinxp5cc.jpg

blackacidevil said:
I currently cannot connect my digicam to upload pics. Gonna downgrade to Win 2000.
In the meantime, I downloaded a Windows hack and voila: my current feelings expressed as my Start Button.

fwinxp5cc.jpg

photoshop \

I've done a bit more work. Still cant upload pics though. I'm too lazy to install 2000, and only have 15 days left to activate XP. I found a crack for it, but again, too lazy to install it. In the meantime, I've cut the boards to create the "floor" and "roof" of the enclosure, and cut a hole in the "roof" for the LED strobe light.

I also have hit a mental block in terms of layout design. I still have that huge 170mm hockey table fan, and plan to use it, but I have no idea where to install it for proper ventilation. I'm limited to placement because of the strobelight in the roof and my optical drives location beneath. I need to figure something out.

I look at the window and think that it's TOO big. I know that it's not, because i will have 2 mobos inside. It's just frustrating to get that feeling out of my head.

I'll try and get pics soon though.

No work today though. 6 inches of snow has fallen and my snowboard is yelling at me to take it out.

i have a real version of win xp pro my self and never bother to activate it anymore, since i went over my 5 activation limit, i have to call that dum activating thing, go through all those digits and then wait for sum person to come on the phone. ask me y am i reinstall and then active my copy. i jus Dled a crack of a site that i should not mention here and it worked like a charm.

devil - if u still need that crack, PM me. ill link u.

i like the project so far, uber!! @ one of the office where i do tech support, the have a server rackmount with this loud big fan on top, it doesnt push a lot of air, but sure does create good circulation. if your interested, i can find out what kind of fan it is and maybe even "borrow" one for ya ;) .

I'm envisioning a RAID array consisting of (72x) 4gb SCSI 160s :).
I think your I/Os would be slightly higher than your peers.

Thanks for the offer Chronic, but i solved the XP issue *wink wink*.
I've been dead sick wth a nasty chest cold the past few days so I havent gotten any work done.
I have a large fan to use, see pic below. The smaller one is a standard 80mm.

hockeyfanvs80mm4ij.jpg

i got that program, but i cant seem to find where to edit the start menu text. where is it?

yeah, i see their site, and i found where it says "start" but when i change the value and hit compile then save it says cannot save file "C:/windows/explorer.exe"

Back