Project "HTPC Overkill: Zalman style"

jflail2

Gawd
I've decided to start building out an HTPC for my living room that will basically take care of all of my entertainment needs in one package. The goal is to build a long lasting HTPC with top quality components, and a decent amount of storage in an aesthetically pleasing package.

I'd like to share my progress here guys in case someone else would want to replicate my efforts, or if anyone has feedback to share.

Step 1: The Case

In my mind, an HTPC absolutely requires a case that not only performs well, but is aesthetically pleasing when combined with your other components. After much debate and research, I drilled down to either the Moncaso 972 or the Zalman HD160XT Plus.

The 2 cases sounded to be very similar to one another in reviews, with the Zalman running a bit more expensive across the board. After much debate, I finally decided on the Zalman for a couple of reasons; I like the placement of the LCD screen better, and felt as if the Zalman provided a case that would be easier to keep cool. I figured since I'm dropping gaming components in here, I'd like a little more cooling capability.

And before I go futher, I'd like to address the LCD touch screen on these cases. Yes, I do realize it is mostly bling. While useful for media player applications, and a few other ideas, overall the touchscreen is overkill. Why do I want it? Because I LOVE the look. And more importantly, because I can...

So without further ado, here are some initial pictures:

1.) The Zalman was shipped as a box within a box. So the box pictured here was neatly tucked away in a recycled Nabisco box, meaning the actual Zalman box was in perfect condition:

2011-09-15193524.jpg

2.) Upon opening the box, I was very pleased with the packing materials. I'll be keeping the box and foam for maximum safety when transporting my HTPC in a future move.

2011-09-15193637.jpg

3.) Besides the case, you also get these goodies. The remote surprised me in that it was better quality than I expected.

2011-09-15194114.jpg

4.) Some more pics of the case:

A.) Front, showing LCD:

2011-09-15195102.jpg

B.) Rear:

2011-09-15194245.jpg

C.) Top:

2011-09-15194332.jpg

D.) Bottom:

2011-09-15195026.jpg

E.) Guts:

2011-09-15194848.jpg

F.) Front panel:

2011-09-15195121.jpg

5.) And finally, this is who the Zalman will be hanging out with. (Yes, it does look like a nest of snakes behind my entertainment center, but I don't care as I'm looking for a new entertainment center as we speak.)

2011-09-15193700.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So now that I have the case I'm looking for, I want to tone it down even more in regards to volume. With that in mind, I gave Frozen CPU a spin, and was very pleased with their selection of parts for "PC silencing."

I ended up buying a good variety of items, including cable wraps, thumb screws, fans that are even more quiet than the stock Zalmans and some materials for silencing, such as fan silencers, anti-vibrations screws, matting materials and noise isolators for my hard drives.

Since I'm ordering the parts in batches, I've decided to go ahead and get started on silencing the case while I wait for the rest of my parts. Frozen CPU had a nice pack of black noise dampening material for something like $15, so that was chosen over Dynamat and a few other brands.

2011-09-15201322.jpg

It's not incredibly thick material:

2011-09-15201427.jpg

But I think that's a good thing since it'll be sitting under the motherboard.

After lots of planning (measure thrice, cut once) and some extra hands from a friend (and some serious cursing and maybe a smoke or 2), we were able to get a nice install in the bottom, sides and top of the case:

2011-09-15210740.jpg

2011-09-15214446.jpg

2011-09-15214504.jpg

Next, we installed a very nice fan in the bottom of the case, the Noiseblocker NB I picked up from Frozen CPU.

Heck of a nice fan for the $$; probably the nicest fan I've personally ever held:

2011-09-15200843.jpg

Step one is done. Tonight we might tackle sleeving on some of the wires that run from the LCD up front, and generally try to do some more clean up in preparation for the actual parts.

Some notes:

1.) While you can pull up that matting in theory, in actuality it gets set in place pretty quick. You can still remove it later that evening, but you're most definitely going to destroy it pulling it up if it sits for a while.

2.) If you're matting that case specifically, you definitely need to leave room for the drive cages to slide in and out.

3.) It might help to screw the mat in place using mobo screws, mark, and then pull up and cut. That worked best for us.

Parts list and other steps coming soon.

Last edited:
This is what I've chosen for parts. As I said, the goal is for this to be a machine that works just as well as a gaming rig as it does as an HTPC.

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Professional Gen 3

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Brdige 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost Quad-Core

CPU Cooler: Zalman 2 ball heatsink

Video Card: EVGA Gtx 560 1024MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2xDVI/1xmini-HDMI

PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold 850W

Memory:Corsair Memory Vengeance 16GB Quad Channel Kit DDR3 1600 MHz 240-Pin DDR3

Blu-Ray Drive:Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive with Lightscribe

OS HD: OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III

Media HD's: 4x Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache (planning on a Raid1 configuration)

Tuner Card: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner / Encoder

Fans: 2xArctic Cooling F8 Pro PWM 80mm

KB/Mouse: Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Black Bluetooth Cordless Desktop Kit

Everything is officially on the way, so I expect that side of the build to start mid next week.

In the meantime, we'll be wrapping cables, and generally trying to clean the case up some more internally.

A small update with some work done on the cables that run from the LCD panel:

2011-09-16224700.jpg

Back