Project Hollowpoint

N

NecessaryEvil

Title:
Undetermined

Purpose:
Win a "Worst Case Mod" contest

The Canvas:
The original "NecessaryEvil" from which I derived my namesake.
SuperMicro 760a case (modded):
cc_1038_1.jpg
cc_1038_2.jpg

The Tools:
Winchester 170 Deluxe carbine in .22LR
300 rounds of Federal Hollowpoint .22LR
Benelli Nova Pump in 12ga
60 rounds of Federal #8 shot
4 rounds of Federal #1 shot
Sharpie
Saran Wrap
Duct Tape
flexible furnace ducting
free supply of fireworks (thanks grandma and grandpa!)
spray paint
WD-40, Gasoline, Lighter Fluid
Matches

The end result:
Blow holes from blowing holes.
The Type-R'est shit I can pull
The worst looking case window ever
a shit load of noise and annoyance from the 120mm fans and Delta Black Label fan.

The Plan:

External Mods:
1. Sharpie out a design for my window.
2. Using the chassis itself as a stand, carefully shoot holes along the design (not too carefully, mind you) with the .22LR
3. After design has been properly perforated with the .22LR...use some muscle to rip out the design using #8 shot. (Pictured below on the left. causes dents. likely to rip out the cutout)
4. Add blowholes with #1 shot. (Pictured below on the right. Perfect for added ventilation)

shotblast.jpg

(picture of a non-functional DVD player's punshiment. Dents by #8 shot; Holes by #1 shot)

5. Spraypaint for added effect.
6. Use fireworks supply to create additional ventilation in the bezel of the case
7. (Optional) add wings and stickers to make it go faster. Add NOS pipes that go to painted Mt. Dew bottles. Duct tape bottles to the case.

Internal Mods
1. insert surge protector to inside of case. (due to lack of hole saw and unwillingness to use dremel, look into the .308 to provide a series of holes large enough for male outlet to go out. May also look into .22LR + pliers for this)
2. Plug in AC 120mm fans into the surge protector.
3. Instead of cold cathodes, borrow girlfriend's lava lamp for desired internal illumination effect.
4. Add as many cables and shit to make it as unsightly and spagetti-like as possible. Usefullness of cables may be questionable.
5. rotate heatsink shroud so that it will point the fan (Delta Black Label) in a direction where it will provide most annoying noise while still cooling the Thunderbird.
6. Add more fans (fans to cool fans?)
7. replace the cobwebs and dust that are currently in the system now (maybe empty vacuum cleaner or lint filter into the chassis?)

back story:

I built NecessaryEvil back in 2000.
In 2001, I sold it to a family. It was having problems over the past few weeks, and they basically gave it back to me (to keep if I can't get it working)

While this case has a special place in my heart, as it is the system from which I derove my namesake...it doesn't have a place in my network. I have neither the room nor the desire for another large system.

I do, however, have a desire to win a competition...and if the competition goes as expected...the prize for worst case competition is usually a new case.

So, through the death of NecessaryEvil (I will give it a proper viking funeral by pyre after the LAN)...I hope to win a competition.

from that picture it doesnt look like the 22s are getting through. Interesting idea and I hope you will win the competition.

JEEVES

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
from that picture it doesnt look like the 22s are getting through. Interesting idea and I hope you will win the competition.

JEEVES

Did you really think thay would? And way this is dumb as S##T but what from your first post shows thats what you want.

It's gone through a 55 gallon drum...so I imagine a 22 will penetrate the steel. Bend the hell out of it? sure. But..that's what a sledgehammer is for.

Yes, this is one of the dumbest ideas I could have...but that's kind of the point.

I mean...seriously...strewing cables around the case and possibly emptying my drier lint for the next 3 weeks into the case? That's certainly not smart. But it should be enough to help me win.

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:

JEEVES

oh...and those are 12 gauge shells. the dimples are #8 shot, the holes are #1. They're not .22LR

Back