• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project Genome: My Tiny Contribution to Genetics

IanY

n00b
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
48
Latest Update: 4/10. Proceeding to finalize machine.


Machine Specs Now: (Not all the pics below reflect the very latest configuration)
Mobo: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Processor: Intel Core i7 920
Video cards: 3 x EVGA GTX 285 Vanilla + 1 x BFG GTX 285 OCE
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Memory: 6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 Mhz 8-8-8-24-1T
Case: Lian Li PC-G70B
PSU: Corsair HX1000
HDDs: 2 x WD Raptors internal + 8 WD Raptors External + External Plextor optical
Water Cooling: PA120.1, Two MCR220, MCR120, MCR120 Stack, Apogee GTZ, Four MCP355s/DDC3.2s, Two EK Turbo Dual DDC3.2 Tops, MCRES Rev2, Primochill tubing, DD Drainport, 4 x EK Acetal/Nickel GTX 285, BP fittings, EK Fittings, SWFT Fittings.

Objective: to maximize my contribution to Stanford Folding @ Home.


Not Finished Yet
DSCN7514.jpg

DSCN7515.jpg

DSCN7516.jpg

DSCN7453.jpg

DSCN7447.jpg

DSCN7438-1.jpg

DSCN7422-1.jpg

DSCN7425-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Worklog Pictures

Updates coming very soon.

DSCN9988.jpg

DSCN9989.jpg

DSCN9990.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN9994.jpg

DSCN7341.jpg

DSCN9997.jpg

DSCN9998.jpg

DSCN7342.jpg

DSCN7344.jpg

Intel.jpg

DSCN9995.jpg

DSCN7346.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

DSCN7373.jpg

DSCN7349.jpg

DSCN7350.jpg

DSCN9999.jpg

DSCN7347.jpg

DSCN7361.jpg

DSCN7362.jpg

DSCN7363.jpg

DSCN7387.jpg

DSCN7388.jpg

DSCN7396.jpg

DSCN7397.jpg

DSCN7389.jpg

DSCN7390.jpg

DSCN7391.jpg

DSCN7392.jpg

DSCN7393.jpg

DSCN7394.jpg

DSCN7395.jpg

DSCN7365.jpg

DSCN7366.jpg

DSCN7369.jpg

DSCN7398.jpg

DSCN7399.jpg

DSCN7400.jpg

DSCN7401.jpg

DSCN7402.jpg

DSCN7403.jpg

DSCN7404.jpg

DSCN7405.jpg

DSCN7406.jpg

DSCN7407.jpg

DSCN7408.jpg

DSCN7409.jpg

DSCN7410.jpg

DSCN7411.jpg

DSCN7412.jpg

DSCN7413.jpg

DSCN7414.jpg

DSCN7415.jpg

DSCN7416.jpg

DSCN7417.jpg

DSCN7418.jpg

DSCN7419.jpg

DSCN7420.jpg

DSCN7421.jpg

DSCN7422.jpg

DSCN7425.jpg

DSCN7426.jpg

DSCN7427.jpg

DSCN7428.jpg

DSCN7429.jpg

DSCN7430.jpg

DSCN7431.jpg

DSCN7432.jpg

DSCN7435.jpg

DSCN7436.jpg

DSCN7438.jpg

DSCN7443.jpg

DSCN7445.jpg

DSCN7447.jpg

DSCN7449.jpg

DSCN7450.jpg

DSCN7452.jpg

DSCN7453.jpg

DSCN7454.jpg

DSCN7455.jpg

DSCN7456.jpg

DSCN7457.jpg
 
Last edited:
Really digging the stackable swiftechs.

Unfortunately, thanks to butthead stupidity, about four years ago, before metal barbs were fashionable, and when I followed hobby trends, I silicon glued down stupid plastic barbs into the rad that I had (used in the optical bays) to prevent leaks !!! Well, those aren't going to be removed anytime soon :) Otherwise, I would have another Stack.
 
Hmm, I thought stacking rads was a big no-no? All the heat you transer off the first rad goes straight into second loop through the second rad?
 
Hmm, I thought stacking rads was a big no-no? All the heat you transer off the first rad goes straight into second loop through the second rad?

That's the conventional wisdom all these years. I can assure you that it works very well, as long as the fans have adequate static pressure (not cfm). Fan choice is very important. In a situation like this where there is little choice, something is better than nothing, and a Swiftech stack (look at the emerging reviews) is better than a single Swiftech, and in this case, its better than a thick Thermochill or Feser (I don't own a Feser, but have Thermochills).
 
Nice rig man, I love that motherboard.

External USB Raptors? o.o

Err.. no.. I have succumed to my addiction for HDDs. I have now moved the PA up to the back fan and moved in the drive rack. I have 8 raptors in the machine now, and yes I have two more for USB. Its a sickness.
 
very, very nice. damn those dominators are sexy.

Those are the cheap Dominators lol.

The expensive Dominator GTs are crazy at 2000 Mhz and $550 for 6 GB :) They go perfect on an EVGA Classified, but I'm not a crazy overclocker, so I'll pass on those :)
 
Err.. no.. I have succumed to my addiction for HDDs. I have now moved the PA up to the back fan and moved in the drive rack. I have 8 raptors in the machine now, and yes I have two more for USB. Its a sickness.

Raptors on esata=makes sense. USB? Not so much.
 
Raptors on esata=makes sense. USB? Not so much.

Err.. both are on USB for a good reason. You don't really find many notebook computers with eSata, do you? :) Neither are office computers. Portability is a good thing, but drop in functionality is even better.
 
Water cooling my video cards this weekend. Starting off with four of them. I'm not sure the Corsair PSU can handle five of them under stress.
 
Err.. both are on USB for a good reason. You don't really find many notebook computers with eSata, do you? :) Neither are office computers. Portability is a good thing, but drop in functionality is even better.

... right. Like it makes sense to put a GTX 295 on a celeron 1.2GHz processor. You're probably capping out at 30% of the drive's transfer speed, and I hope you never run those drives with the lid on those external cases.

Gigabit ethernet is 2x faster than USB 2... I just copy stuff over the network rather than drag HDs back and forth.

Having said that, an external 500gig 2.5" sata drive in a usb2 case is great for data transfers between systems because it'll power the drive off the usb port, so there's no bulky power brick to lug around (which is often 50% the size of the external case anyway).

Nice system though. My jealous side has to ask... why not just get 295s? ;)
 
... right. Like it makes sense to put a GTX 295 on a celeron 1.2GHz processor. You're probably capping out at 30% of the drive's transfer speed, and I hope you never run those drives with the lid on those external cases.

Gigabit ethernet is 2x faster than USB 2... I just copy stuff over the network rather than drag HDs back and forth.

Having said that, an external 500gig 2.5" sata drive in a usb2 case is great for data transfers between systems because it'll power the drive off the usb port, so there's no bulky power brick to lug around (which is often 50% the size of the external case anyway).

Nice system though. My jealous side has to ask... why not just get 295s? ;)

Oh come on lol Its on usb to be portable. I carry the drives around. Its dumb to lug office documents and mp3 files on these drives, but they aren' so fast anymore (by today's standards). Why not use bigger drives? Well, I got a dozen of these drives when they were launched (and I was crazy and didn't mind spending $1000 for a raid controller that is... aarrrggghh PCI), and they are not very useful for the rest of the family because they are too small in capacity, and there's no more space in the poor G70 case (you'll see eight of them in the next batch of pics). I'm not noted for doing things the easy way.

Why not 295s? The four 285s (yes, there are four of them) are going into a EVGA Classified next month for gaming (they use singleslot water blocks), and this Asus machine will have three 295s. I didn't start off with 295s because I had ambitions of running six 285s, and six 285s are better than three 295s. Unfortunately, the Asus mobo doesn't like six cards.. just five cards.. and this small case can't fit two PSUs without me getting rid of water cooling. The Core i7 975 EE is about two weeks away from release. 4.5 Ghz easily on 1.3 volts!
 
Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why do you need 3 vid cards...not to mention 3 200 series cards?
 
Out of curiosity, why do you need 3 vid cards...not to mention 3 200 series cards?

Objective: to maximize my contribution to Stanford Folding @ Home.

His intention is to run the F@H application on each GPU, thereby completing as many work units per day as possible :)
 
Wow, that is just beautiful. Very nice job! So whats something like that total to in $'s? :)
 
Thank you. There will be an update soon. Its now four GTX 285s with single slot water blocks, and the only reason why there are not five GTX 285s is that I don't have enough PSU muscle. It seems that the mobo freaks out after five video cards, because somebody tried six video cards and it didn't post.

Watch out for the upcoming EVGA Classified machine, with these video cards transferred over. Asus is moving to 295 video cards.
 
I hereby would wish to formally file my jealousy at you possessing all that beautiful hardware :D
 
Back
Top