• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project: G5 conversion, Art is a philosophy

ultimeus

n00b
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
23
Hi all, I begin my first worklog, it's a apple G5

conversion, I try to keep the apple look outside and inside but

with my own choices.

Hardware :

Q6600
DFI P35 UT
4GB crucial ballistix tracer 5300
Twintech 8800GTS 512 (to change with black pcb card)
Samsung T166 500gb raid
Corsair HX 520w
Sony dvd burner

Liquid cooling if budget can be complete

Ek supreme
Laing ddc 3.2 with Ek acetal top
Ek northbridge cooler
EK nickel block (depend from graphic card)
Dual microcool 240 rad (stacked rads)
10/16 compressions fittings
10/16 white tubing

Mod parts:

Apple G5
Lian li A10 motherboard tray
Lian li rack drive
TJ-07 watercooling rad supports
Full white sleeving
Nanoxia Fans

Some objectives of the project:

Try to keep the mac look with mods, painting of all parts to mac

grey,

Reuse powersupply plastic surround port in lian li motherboard tray

Cover rads, bottom case with custom aluminium plate.

Color scheme : white, grey, green.

Repaint case to original grey.

Sponsor : EK waterblocks
070726_ekw_r600.jpg


IMG_0001.jpg


IMG_0002.jpg


Modding parts

IMG_0005.jpg


Case ready for some action

IMG_0007.jpg


First placement of motherboard tray

IMG_0010.jpg


Cut for opening door mechanism

IMG_0011.jpg


Motherboard tray inside

IMG_00082.jpg


Second cutting session and more adjustment

IMG_00112.jpg


Cutting back plate for door opening and lapping

IMG_0013.jpg


IMG_0015.jpg


Adaptation of powersupply plastic surround port , final form of

hole would be made with mastic

IMG_0020.jpg


Holes will be filled with mastic too

I'll try some sketchup for final look
 
Yeah I know, this afternoon I was working on it, I repair links soon.

Edit: Links repair :)
 
I contact Eddy from EK watercooling, he accept to sponsor me, I'm really happy and want to thanks him because this is my first worklog.

Tomorrow big update, I play all the afternoon with bondo, some parts are modded and painted with filler.
 
Hard drive rack prepared for some modding (3 to 2 hard drives)

IMG_00073.jpg


Integration of apple psu hole

IMG_00152.jpg


backside

IMG_00162.jpg


superior side, there was an hole in the upper side, I cut a little plate from aluminium and filled with bondo.

IMG_00142.jpg



Rack drive modded and prepared with filler.

IMG_0023.jpg



Back motherboard tray finished

IMG_0029.jpg


IMG_0047.jpg


Painted

IMG_0061.jpg


I'm not very happy with paint, it doesn't look professional, kind of plastic texture and don't match apple grey.

Since I had planed to repaint the case ( to much little dents, and color dismatch because smoking) soon, I've ask a friend who work in a paint garage to resparay all the parts.
 
Let's see if someone can do the G5->PC Mod correctly this time.

Every time someone attempts this mod, they completely change stuff around and it looks like crap.

Doesn't look bad so far. Keep up the work!
 
Project update

Hi guys sorry for being so long, as a student I need time for buying

parts.

Dualbrain white sleeving, amazing sleeving I love it

IMG_0062.jpg


With every sleeving, you need dualbrain drawing :up:

IMG_0066.jpg


My christmas present : apple keyboard

IMG_0054.jpg


And for the new parts, Big thanks to Charles from murderbox to send me

a free serpentine top grill (waiting for delivery)

http://store.murdermod.eu/component...ge/product/serpentine___ple_48dade62aa1dc.jpg

Top of G5 will be laser cut to fit this grill

When thinking to my mod, I didn't like anymore my lian li rack drive

so time for replacement, waiting for a pair of scythe Himuro

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/hdd/009/images/sch1000_main2-400.jpg

Waiting for atx 24 pin extension, GTX260.
Need to buy watercooling stuff now

And I changed my mind about inside of G5, All interior is going to

satin black :up:

Note from FLECOM: Do not hotlink images, host them yourself
 
Where did you get a hold of the G5 case? I've been looking to mod one for AGES!

Things are starting to look good, and props to Charlie for hooking you up with that top fan cover, I'm digging it :)
 
I'm liking your work so far. Nice and clean.


Looking forward to following this one. :)
 
Where did you get a hold of the G5 case? I've been looking to mod one for AGES!

Things are starting to look good, and props to Charlie for hooking you up with that top fan cover, I'm digging it :)

Thanks guys

I had the chance that G5 of my teacher was dead just when I was looking for one.

You can find most of them on Ebay. If you live in Us it's easy, in europe it's really difficult.
 
Hi guys, here is an update :up:

Sleeving pron (first part)

IMG_0009-1.jpg


IMG_0015-1.jpg


IMG_0020-1.jpg


IMG_0021.jpg


IMG_0026.jpg


IMG_0040.jpg


IMG_0043.jpg


IMG_0044.jpg


IMG_0047-1.jpg


IMG_0048.jpg


IMG_0049.jpg


IMG_0050.jpg


IMG_0053.jpg


IMG_0054-1.jpg


IMG_0055.jpg


IMG_0057.jpg


Re soldered front G5 cable

IMG_0058-1.jpg


Scythe himuro

IMG_0065.jpg


IMG_0071.jpg


IMG_0073.jpg


IMG_0076.jpg


IMG_0083.jpg


IMG_0090.jpg
 
Why the hell do people use Photobucket?? It's a pain in the ass. Use Imageshack for love of god!
 
Back
Top