Project: Free Flow v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
I realized earlier today that if i don't start getting some information down on "paper" it's gonna be forever before I commit to getting started on my follow up to Project Free Flow.

My Shuttle mod that became Project Free Flow was my first endeavor in a good long while towards fully customizing a chassis to suit my needs, the fact that the system ended up being a small form factor system was only a bonus. What I'm aiming to do with Free Flow v2 (FFv2) is expand on what I started with the Shuttle mod but take things to the next level. FFv2 will be a scratch build that I will be modeling after many test bed systems that people have built in the past such as these. My three main goals for this project are the following:

1 - Maintain the open air/mesh design used in Project Free Flow while scaling things up a few notches
2 - Clean design and perfect wire routing are a must, no space or wire length will be wasted
3 - Build the test bed style "chassis" to be completely modular and easy to disassemble and put back together

Beyond some fairly original wire routing ideas the main thing I'm trying to figure out is a way to build a form of quick disconnect for every wire going to the motherboard to be able to easily lift it from the base, and to also connect every wire simultaneously when the motherboard tray/platform is lowered back down into place. I plan to have 4 solid aluminum/steel posts extending from the 4 corners of the base of the system, allowing the motherboard "plate" to be lowered into place by feeding the 4 posts through holes in the plate. This design should also allow me to build and add additional sections of the case down the road, creating multiple tiers of components. All tiers below the motherboard plate will be partially enclosed by a 1" bezel of aluminum and full mesh "windows" on at least 3 of the 4 sides.

As soon as I iron out the specific odds and ends I'll be looking to pickup I'll get a full list made up to post but I'm not sure how much farther it will go for now, I'm not much with SketchUp but pictures will be posted regularly and often once I start to acquire components and materials and get to work.

Any and all questions, suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated throughout the life or this project...this is something I plan to do once and do right, and I'm sure there are some things I haven't thought of.

I feel quite foolish for starting the thread without any pictures, my issue is that I'm so early on in the planning stages that there isn't much to show...and I felt that a forum thread would in a way commit me to following through on the build.

Contrary to that I have actually been rethinking the direction I will be taking with this mod. I am very close to revising my goals and being able to supply some images and refined intentions. I am greatly looking forward to moving forward with this project one way or another and hope to be able to provide more information and pictures soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back