Project: Endorphin (SFF Mod)

DAE_JA_VOO

n00b
ENDORPHIN

"en·dor·phin
–noun
any of a group of peptides occurring in the brain and other tissues of vertebrates, and resembling opiates, that react with the brain's opiate receptors to raise the pain threshold."

This mod will consist of two mods.

The case will be a Shuttle case:

00148092.jpg

Shuttlesn26p-1sm.jpg

That, my friends, is a Shuttle XPC SN26P. This is a MONSTER of a SFF PC.

Interested in the new platform? Well, the board is amazing.

-> It's a socket 939 based board, supporting regular A64, Athlon X2, and Athlon FX.
-> It's got an nVidia nForce 4 SLI chipset (yes, i said SLI).
-> It's got two DIMM slots, dual channel of course.
-> 7.1 channel on board audio
-> Gigabit LAN
-> FOUR SATA ports
-> And last, but certainly not least, it's got a frikken 350W PSU!! 350W! These Shuttle PSUs are so efficient. This PSU powered my FX60, both my 7800GTs, a DVD RW, and a HDD, and it was asking for more. I almost put a frikken 8800GTX in here. I have one lying here at my house, it's one of my friend's card, i wanted to run it so bad.

Here's a few plans that i have already:
  • Most of the hardware will be watercooled. The CPU, GPU, and Chipset will all be watercooled.. I have already obtained the watercooling components. I'll be using Koolance Blocks, a Coolwave pump, and a Swiftech Raddy.
  • The entire front Fascia will be removed and i'll make a new one.
  • The case will also obviously be getting a new paint job, colour will be a brilliant white with a red plexi trim and red water.

Now here's the part where this mod will differ slightly from other mods. For a number of reasons, this case will have NO optical drive inside the case. Mainly because this case is TINY and i have to fit a pump in here, but also because i hardly ever use an optical drive. So i have a plan that will allow me to use an optical drive with this machine anyway, and this plan is what the second mod is about:

Second Part of Endorphin

I need an external optical drive, but there's no way in HELL i'm gonna pay over 1K (ZAR) for one, so i'll MAKE one, but one with FAR more functionality than a regular external optical drive. This one will include a few added features.

I'm going to build an external enclosure that will house a DVD writer, two hard disks for extra storage (a 160GB and a 120GB), a 120mm fan to cool the HDDs, and a USB hub. The Optical drive, USB hub, and HDDs will all eventually run from the enclosure through a SINGLE USB cable to the PC.

Now i need to explain in more detail how i plan on doing all of this. The optical drive and the two hard disks will be connected to a USB hub inside (lets call this HUB1) the enclosure via IDE to USB adapters. The external USB hub (we'll call it HUB 2) will ALSO be connected to this internal USB hub. This internal hub will be what connects to the PC. So if you plug in this USB hub, you'll connect the Optical drive, both HDDs, and the external USB hub to the PC.

So, now you're probably wondering how i plan on powering all of this huh? Well, i managed to get my hands on a pretty small 350W PSU. It was nice and small. Unfortunately it randomly died on me, so now i'm forced to use another PSU i have. Also just a generic PSU. Nothing more is necessary for a few HHDs. This PSU will come out of it's housing and i'll put the bare, to preserve space. This PSU will power everything in the enclosure - the DVD RW, both HDDs, the 120mm fan, and the USB hubs (yes, i'm gonna buy USB hubs that need 5V so that they can power hungry devices like my portable 20GB laptop HDD). This PSU will get power from a regular power cable.

Here's a diagram to help explain:

genocide1.jpg

This enclosure will also have 2 LCD displays in front to display the temps of the two HDDs.

I'm thinking that i might add individual switches to all the devices within the enclosure so that i can power up only the ones i want to use.

Now the case mod and this external enclosure mod will run hand in hand, but the external enclosure wont necessarily always be in use, and i can plug it into another PC if need be.

Sponsor(s):

Prophecy:

Prophecy is an online store here in South Africa.

Prophecy

Big big thanks to Henk over at Prophecy for the goodies he sent me for this mod:

1: A SATA2 Hard disk. A 160GB Seagate SATA2 HDD.

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

2: Three Vantec Nexstar 3 External Hard Disk Enclosures.

IMG_1862.jpg

No no, not only one, but THREE:

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

Here they are next to the one i had before this mod as well as my 2.5" one for my notebook HDD:

IMG_1884.jpg

3: RAM. Team Xtreem Overclocking DDR 500MHz - 2GB (2x1GB Dual Channel)

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

4: A Liteon DVD-RW (The LITEON® 16X DVD+R, 4X DVD+/-R DL to be specific).

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

5: Two D-link DUB-H7 7port USB 2.0 hubs.

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

6: An Antec Tricool 120mm Fan.

IMG_1864.jpg

As you can see, this is a pretty large amount of goodies, and i can't express how happy i am regarding this sponsor. Henk, Thanks again man! :D

Unfortunately that Team RAM died on me. Thanksfully though, Prophecy sent me a nice kit of Musking RAM:

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg

That's the EM3200 2GB kit.

Thanks Prophecy!

Okay, so let me explain what i need all of this stuff for:

1: The HDD. This HDD will go into the actual PC case. The HDD i have in there now is an IDE disk which will look HORRIBLE and potentially ruin this mod. I have other hard disks that will go in the external enclosure.

2: The three Vantec Enclosures. The enclosures will be pulled apart for the guts. I need the PCB that's inside them that converts IDE to USB. The three PCBs from the three enclosures will be used for the two HDDs and the Liteon DVD-RW that's going into the enclosure.

3: RAM. Well this will obviously go into the machine.

4: The DVD-RW. The DVD Writer will be going into the external enclosure.

5: Two D-Link hubs. This is a cool part. Both hubs will be going into the external enclosure, however, one will be internal, and the other will be external, but not completely external. Let me explain. The one hub will be available from the outside of the enclosure, just 7 ports for any devices or whatever. The second hub will be inside, and the two HDDs, the DVD-RW, the external hub will all be connected to it. The internal hub will then have it's cable running out of the enclosure to whichever PC i connect it to.

6: The Antec Tricool fan: Man i love Tricool fans. I have 4 of them in epiphany, great fans these. This one will be in the enclosure to cool the two HDDs.

So that's what all these goodies are for.

Just let me point out that, as far as i know, nobody has ever been sponsored for Case modding in South Africa. It seems that Prophecy has really got an interest in the SA enthusiast PC market and they're really trying to get modding in SA to a better standard. I'm most certainly not saying that they'll sponsor every second Joe, hell, maybe i'm the only person they'll ever sponsor, maybe i'm the first of MANY, but i'm sure that many more companies will follow in Prophecy's tracks and start making an effort to make modding a big thing in this country.

Next Sponsor:

IceVision

IceVision is also an online store here in SA.

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

A 250GB Seagate SATA2 HDD, a 120mm fan, and 512mb of Twinmos RAM:

IMG_1899.jpg

I told Mario from IceVision that Prophecy had already sent me RAM, GOOD RAM, but Mario sent me some RAM anyway. lol, i have no idea what i'm gonna do with it:

IMG_1900.jpg

My nice new Seagate:

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

The 250GB from IceVision and the 160GB from Prophecy will go into the PC itself. The 160GB for the OS and the 250GB for storage.

IceVision also offered to send me two Legend 7600GTs.

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

Lol, look at this one:

IMG_2125.jpg

Very funny. That sticker will have to come off since i'll be watercooling these cards.

So now the specs of the PC are finalized:

Shuttle SN26P
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
    2x 1GB Team Extreme DDR500
    2x Legend 7600GT SLI
    1x Seagate 160GB SATA2
    1x Seagate 250GB SATA2

Not too shabby :D

I ordered some little red LCDs for the external enclosure. They dont LOOK very red in the pics, but in real life they're very very red. Perfect :p

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

For reservoirs in the case, i'll be using two Cape Cool 10's:

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

Compared to one of the Coolwave reservoirs that i have lying around here:

IMG_2215.jpg

PERFECT

And the power connectors:

IMG_2218.jpg

The regular molexes:

IMG_2219.jpg

The ATX connectors:

IMG_2221.jpg

And these are the cool ones. Molexes that have caps, end caps:

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

Very cool!

I also got a Vandal Resistant Switch from electronics123 to see if i like it:

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

I think i like it.

It needs some polish, but otherwise it's cool.

Here's the radiator i got for the mod. It's a Swiftech dual 120mm raddy:

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

And here it is compared to the raddy i was planning on using. It's a Koolance singe 120mm raddy:

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

I decided to get a bigger raddy because i'll be using SLI, and i'll feel a bit more comfy with a dual 120mm raddy...

The next hurdle was barbs. The waterblocks that will be used throughout the mod are Koolance blocks, and therefore the tubing is small - 6mm. However, the barbs that i got with the raddy are 1/2" barbs:

IMG_2770.jpg

Compared to the tubing that will be used:

IMG_2772.jpg

So i had to source new barbs. First thing that came to mind was Hydroline. They hook me up with all the barbs i need. If they don't have the barbs i need, they MAKE the barbs for me. In this case they quoted me something like R130 for the two barbs, which is a bit rough IMO. So i hit Builders' Warehouse. I was pleasantly surprised to find that i could compile my own barbs out of barbs that are meant for Air Compressors. For each barb i had to buy two parts:

IMG_2778.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

They fit into each other to make the perfect barb:

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

Perfect fit!

IMG_2788.jpg

Another packet of goodies arrived tonight from the USA:

IMG_2792.jpg

Some nice red cable sleeving:

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

And some red heatshrink:

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

I don't know if i like the heatshrink though.... Also, it's too big for this sleeving, so i'll have to import some smaller heatshrink...

And then also some more connectors:

IMG_2806.jpg

First two are just two more Molexes:

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

Man they're cool.

And the other two connectors are quite interesting actually. Motherboards generally have a 20 or 24 pin connector, but this Shuttle's motherboard is different. It has TWO connectors - a 6 pin, and an 8 pin. So i bought some new ones:

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

Just thought i would show you guys pics of the (basically) complete SketchUps. I didn't spend a lot of time on the rear tubing mounts because they'll be just like the mounts on top, and i'm REALLY just too lazy to model them...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

And i've basically finished the design for the external enclosure.

Here are the images, high res images under these ones. I suggest you have a look at the high res ones, much nicer ;)

finaldesign02.jpg

Full Res, 1680x1050

finaldesign04.jpg

Full Res, 1680x1050

finaldesign06.jpg

Full Res, 1680x1050

finaldesign08.jpg

Full Res, 1680x1050

That's the basic idea for the final design.

This morning i started with the plexi cover that will sit towards the top of the case. I first made a little template out of ABS plastic:

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

Seemed to fit well. Then i grabbed a piece of red plexi:

IMG_3693.jpg

OMW this stuff is nice:

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

Too bad Maizey cut it like n00bs. Look at this:

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

That forces me to have to sand for an eternity to get those chips out. What's worse is that i can't use any powertools for the sanding because i'm a sissy and i need the lines to be as straight as possible, and in my opinion, nothing gives straighter lines than sanding by hand. So, i masked up the plexi:

IMG_3698.jpg

And then started off with some of this goodness:

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

That paper is so rough it's not even funny. So, after the 36, the plexi looks like this:

IMG_3703.jpg

Then it was time for some 80 grit. After the 80, the plexi looks like this:

IMG_3705.jpg

And then some 220:

IMG_3706.jpg

After this, the next smoothest paper i have is frikken 1200. That jump is too big and means that i have to sand for a while on the 1200. I'm too lazy to get in my car and go buy something like 600 grit, so i just sanded with the 1200. After the 1200, i used 2000. Many guys say that the 2000 pointless, but you need to see how smooth this plexi is after 2000. Have a look:

IMG_3711.jpg

Smoother than a baby's bottom. lol.

So tired of sanding :( And i'm hungry....

I needed to do a few quick mods to the chassis. Like drill out a couple of rivets:

IMG_3714.jpg

And cut a few pieces of alu that were in the way:

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

Then it was time to carry on on the piece of plexi i started with. I remasked it and marked it for cutting:

IMG_3721.jpg

And here it was cut to size, all it needed was sanding:

IMG_3722.jpg

And then while sanding it, i frikken owned my finger. It doesn't look bad, but it hurts like hell and my finger is numb :|

IMG_3723.jpg

It's one of those things that hurt like crap but look like a scratch. Anyway, after drilling a whole lot of holes for mounting and for space for the cable management system, i had a test fit:

IMG_3724.jpg

Perfect.

Then i had one last hole to make in the plexi. I had been dreading this because i've never made a hole like this before, and i expected it to be tough. Just watch the pics ;)

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

Done:

IMG_3728.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it was difficult, but not as difficult as i was expecting.

Okay, so now that plexi was done. Time for another test fitment:

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

That pretty hole:

IMG_3734.jpg

Tested the cables from the PSU. Fits perfectly:

IMG_3737.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

And then i made a protective cover for the plexi out of bubble wrap, and that will be locked away until i need it again.

IMG_3735.jpg

That's it! More to come tomorrow :)

AWESOME!

I've got a Shuttle myself and this makes me giddy with excitement!

yeah man this is a great looking mod...

I have a sn25p

I have not seen that brand of video card before... do you live in the US?

yeah man this is a great looking mod...

I have a sn25p

I have not seen that brand of video card before... do you live in the US?

Nope, i'm in South Africa :)

Legend is a generic brand. I think Palit is like that too. It's basically an nVidia reference card with a legend sticker on the fan ;)

got it... also those vantecs are kind of expenisve to harvest for a USB->SATA board...

is that all you could get in SA?

got it... also those vantecs are kind of expenisve to harvest for a USB->SATA board...

is that all you could get in SA?

They are expensive, yes, but i didn't pay for them. One of my sponsors sent them to me ;)

BTW, they're USB -> IDE, not SATA

So yesterday i had to do some pretty crap work. Look at this. This is the power switch:

IMG_3739.jpg

Not any normal switch though. That switch plugs into this PCB:

IMG_3740.jpg

Here's the back of it:

IMG_3742.jpg

Now that interfaces with the motherboard, here:

IMG_3745.jpg

Like so:

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

So there's no easy way of powering this thing. It doesn't have two pins on the board somewhere.

Anyway, after about an hour's work, i found the power and reset pins:

IMG_3747.jpg

lol, how ghetto can a startup get!!

IMG_3738.jpg

Okay, let's continue. Looky what i got for this mod today:

IMG_3757.jpg

That's an X2 4400+. Not the greatest stepping, but hey, it's a 4400+. Added to my ever growing collection of A64/X2 CPUs (another two not in the pic):

IMG_3760.jpg

I also did a crap load of dremeling/sanding/filing to the chassis. Random little edges like this needed to go:

IMG_3750.jpg

So today i went and had some plexi cut. I could have done it by hand, but i needed all the pieces to be of IDENTICAL size, and i figured a laser cutter would be simpler :)

IMG_3749.jpg

Those are for the face of the case, and these too:

IMG_3748.jpg

Clear panel test fitted:

IMG_3751.jpg

Perfect. Only bummer is that we had to cut at 75 DPI, which sucks, and gives rounded corners like this:

IMG_3754.jpg

More sanding for me eh?

An idea of what the layout of the front will be:

IMG_3774.jpg

Masked up almost everything, but ran out of masking tape:

IMG_3778.jpg

I also started work on the piece of plexi that will be on the inside of the front of the case. Marked out and ready for cutting:

IMG_3768.jpg

Cut out and test fitted:

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

Perfect.

So tomorrow i'm gonna try and finish the front. Hopefully i'll get it done.

God Bless

Ett

wow, such a freaking nice mod.. can't wait for the updates!! :D

Update time.

I masked up the plexi face pieces and the extra red pieces:

IMG_3780.jpg

Holes drilled and test fitted. Man, it's looking sexy even still covered in masking tape:

IMG_3782.jpg

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

Time to do some more work on the chassis so that i can get this face fitted. So i masked up what i needed, marked the holes, and drilled them:

IMG_3787.jpg

Test fitted again. OMW it looks amazing:

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

From inside:

IMG_3790.jpg

Close Up:

IMG_3791.jpg

Flash on:

IMG_3792.jpg

Man, it looks awesome in my opinion, and i'm very happy with the result.

I still need to sand and polish the edges properly.

At the moment i'm busy figuring out how to mount the motherboard cover. Having a bit of a hard time but i'll figure it out eventually.

Enjoy :)

Ett

Baie goed!

Man you guys sure do get killed down there for computer prices. Sure glad I moved up here :)

Thanks guys :D

Update time.

Guys, i have fantastic news :D

I have just "signed" with another sponsor. What's even cooler is who the sponsor IS...

That's right. MNPCTech. MNPCTech is one of the worlds most well known modding companies and their mods are known by most modders worth their salt :p

So, i'm absolutely ecstatic about the new sponsorship :D

And on the way to me right now from MNPCTech in the US, is the following:

Two Vandal Resistant Switches.

And:

A set of Billet Machined Aluminium case feet

I was offered a whole lot of other goodies too but i have everything i need already :( so i had to decline :(

No matter, i will have more projects in the future and i will get some more goodies then :p

I haven't really modded much in the last two days. Been planning like mad, so modding had to wait. But i did do a little work.

Here's jack chilling with me while i work:

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

So i started work on the motherboard cover. This cover wont be red like i had it in the sketchups. It's

gonna be white with some red plexi on it ;)

Lines drawn and measured, ready for cutting:

IMG_3798.jpg

Cut:

IMG_3799.jpg

Test fitting:

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

Top:

IMG_3803.jpg

Absolutely perfect. I wish i had time right now to show you guys what else i'm gonna do with the cover but i don't, and i'm going away for the weekend, so i'll only be back on sunday evening or monday. You guys will get an update then ;)

Also a little info for you guys. The case itself will be getting anodized. I was thinking of making it red like the plexi i'm using. What do you think? Along with that, i think the heatspreaders on my Mushkin RAM will also be getting anodized.

Anyway, that's it. Enjoy :)

Update time. Small update here. I had some goodies laser cut today.

IMG_3847small.jpg

That's the lower half of the motherboard cover, the upper half, and the fan grille.

The two parts of the board cover put together:

IMG_3848small.jpg

In the case:

IMG_3855small.jpg

Top view:

IMG_3856small.jpg

Keep in mind that the lower part will be white :)

Now, i mentioned above that there's a grille, but that doesn't look like a grille does it? Nope, it doesn't. Have another look:

IMG_3849small.jpg

Looks like one of A.C. Ryan's Radgrillz without the grillz. lol. Wanna know why? Because i'm gonna match it with some of this goodness:

IMG_3850small.jpg

To give me this result:

IMG_3851small.jpg

Best looking fan grille i've ever seen :p

More to come tomorrow. Busy slaving my butt off on my site now.

Looking great there DAE_JA_VOO. Love your work. Also congrats on the sponsorship from Mnpc tech. I also like that company and think their stuff is cool. Are you a member of their Mod Nation?

Jeez DAE you're all over the net since Epiphany! :D This mod is looking great. :cool:

Think once I'm done with exams I'll get into the modding game and provide you with some stiff competition. :D

South Africa FTW baby! :cool:

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Wow looks amazing. Just a question..... How bad is the violence in SA?

Tyler

OMW!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yeah dude it sucks, i've been mugged 36 times and my house has been burned down 3 times!!

lol no i'm kidding. Yeah crime is bad in SA, no lies.

Update time!

Sorry it's been so long guys. I was studying for an exam that i wrote on tuesday (which i frikken destroyed, by the way).

Okay, so on my last update i showed the motherboard cover. That's where carried on now. I marked off some mesh for some dremel goodness:

IMG_3858.jpg

After i had cut it out, i tested to see what it would look like:

IMG_4088.jpg

Looks great IMO. So, i needed to make some holes in the red plexi, so that i could hold the mesh in place. Plexi marked:

IMG_4089.jpg

Holes drilled and test fitted:

IMG_4090.jpg

And mesh added!

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

Fitted into the case:

IMG_4094.jpg

Top view:

IMG_4097.jpg

Holy Moley, that looks seksi. I'm very happy with the result. Please keep in mind that all the clear plexi (like the main part of the mobo cover) will be WHITE.

So, the motherboard panel is pretty much done, it just needs paint. Next job was getting the switches fitted. The switches i'm using are the ones that MNPCTech sent me, the Vandal Resistant Switches. Thanks MNPCTech for the switches! (gotta love sponsorships :p )

So i have the Front cover marked up:

IMG_4100.jpg

Once that was done, i fitted the switches:

IMG_4112.jpg

Ooh-la-laa!!

Jackson paid me a visit:

IMG_4109.jpg

Then i ran into a bit of a problem:

IMG_4103.jpg

I though i was done cutting chunks out of the chassis. Obviously not. So, i fired up Mrs Dremel and here's the result:

IMG_4105.jpg

IMG_4106.jpg

Then i needed to mod the inside plexi piece to accommodate the switches, so i drilled some holes into it:

IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

PERFECT:

IMG_4107.jpg

Man it's looking good, goodness me. I think this mod is gonna turn out a lot better than i was expecting.

That's it, hope you enjoyed it :)

God Bless

Ettienne

Looking great so far. My only sugestion is to get some MNPC Mesh, see if you like it better than the mesh you already have. I think I would

Thanks for the comments guys! :D

Update time!!

Sorry i've been so scarce with the updates. I wrote a big exam last week, and the modding that i've done since was very time consuming, but yielded great results. So here we go.

A package arrive about 2 weeks ago from the US, it was all the goodies that MNPCTech had sent me. Have a look at all this lovin':

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4058-1.jpg

IMG_4060-1.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

Many thanks to MNPCTech for sending me all this stuff. I really appreciate it! :D

So i wanted to fit these gorgeous aluminium feet to the case. Here's the bottom of the case before the modding:

IMG_4142.jpg

Two feet fitted:

IMG_4178.jpg

Then i had to cut out a piece of the bottom of the chassis. It was causing some problems for me, so my dremel sorted it out:

IMG_4186.jpg

Case feet on:

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

Looks amazing!

Next step was to start the lighting in the case. I thought it would look cool if i had some LEDs shining out the bottom of the case, to give somewhat of an underglow effect. So i marked the bottom of the case for some drilling:

IMG_4194.jpg

I then sanded the LEDs down. They were too long, so i sanded them all down to a more suitable size:

IMG_4196.jpg

Three of them fitted:

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

All done:

IMG_4206.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

Wow these white LEDs are nice.

Then i fitted the LEDs in the case. Here's my temporary power solution:

IMG_4213.jpg

Hey i know it's ghetto but it works! Final pics of the lighting:

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4211.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

Looks great!

So, that's the update. This afternoon i'll carry on with the lighting in the case.

Oh, by the way, the colour scheme of the case has changed AGAIN. The White and red would have been nice, but i think that black and red will be so much nicer! So, the white is being scrapped, black will take it's place.

Enjoy the rest of your week guys

God Bless

Ettienne

I think you should just retire the worklog right now, those LEDs are all I wanna see :D

Why don't you make something to diffuse the light from the LEDs?

Maybe a frosted acrylic bar or something.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Why don't you make something to diffuse the light from the LEDs?

Maybe a frosted acrylic bar or something.
Dont worry, there's a plan for that ;)

Update time!

Yesterday i started with some more lighting. I pulled out one of the support beams in the chassis. I then drilled four 8mm holes and fitted LED holders. Here we have the four holders and two LEDs mounted:

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

Testing the LEDs:

IMG_4219.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg

All four LEDs done and tested:

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

I then refitted the beam, and LEDs tested again:

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4228.jpg

It looks great! I just need to do the other beam now too.

I woke up this morning and went and modded in my pajamas. LOL.

I marked a piece of black plexi to be cut. This will be for the front panel of the case: (note the pink pajamas :p )

IMG_4233.jpg

I love my scroll saw :D

IMG_4234.jpg

All done cutting:

IMG_4235.jpg

Then it was just time to sand sand sand:

IMG_4237.jpg

Finished sanding:

IMG_4239.jpg

This afternoon when i get home i'll try and finish this piece :)

Enjoy your day :)

The LEDs are WHITE ;)

Update time!

I got home from class and carried on working on the new black front panel. I sanded it a little bit more and them marked it for some drilling:

IMG_4243.jpg

I drilled all the small holes, and then i started with the bigger ones. For the bigger ones i used a holesaw. Each time you drill a hole with a holesaw, you need to take the piece of plexi out of the saw, the piece that you cut. Sometimes that piece is like, RAZOR sharp. Which was the case today, so i pwned my finger again:

IMG_4246.jpg

Smile of blood?

IMG_4249.jpg

That's pretty cool (in a sick, masochistic kinda way. lol.

Drilling the second hole:

IMG_4247.jpg

All done:

IMG_4253.jpg

Then i put the whole contraption together:

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

Fitted to the case:

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

Looks WAY better. Please remember that all of it is covered in tape, which will come off later ;)

That's it for now. Hope you guys had a good day.

Ettienne

very nice work! take care of your finger lol, by the way, just curios what kind of camera are you using? Im looking to purchase a new digital one just need some ideas :D

Back