Project: Dark Light

L1ght

Gawd
Hey

My name here is l1ght, I joined the [H]ardforum a little while ago, so if I do anything wrong or if I could do anything better, please tell me.

About me: I am a 10th Grader in Holland, MI. Just got into computers about a year ago. Im not very handy with tools, so this project doesnt look as near as good as I want it to.

This is my first mod. It isnt that great, just becuase I am still practicing with some tools, and trying to figure out what tool to use with what job.

This is my first watercooling project, which is the reason I am modding in the first place. Parts for the Loop are as follows:

Storm WaterBlock
Maze 4 GPU
DD-D5 Pump
2 120mm Radiators
Swiftech MicroRes
7/16 Tubing

Res > Pump > CPU > Rad 1 > GPU > Rad 2 > Res

I want the water loop to look as clean as possible, so that was one goal I had when planning this mod.

Of course, what is a mod without computer hardware? ;) Heres what I am putting in it. Its all ordered already, should be coming mid next week.

AMD 3700+ Hammer (754)
DFI Nforce 4 (754)
2 GIG RAM (DDR500 Gskill)
X1900XTX(Saphire)
Silverstone 600 Watt PSU
74 GIG Raptor
All in a Lian Li PC-V1000 Case.

Now, where am I in this project? I have been working on it off and on the last couple weeks. And I finally have enough stuff done to make a worklog.

First, I cut some plexi. Its black, and shiny. :D

You can see the holes I cut for the tubing. Heres a closer shot. Yah, the plexi hole doesnt line up, I need to get some stuff to go around the edge, so it wont matter.

I also cut some plexi for the back of the micro res, just so that it hides the wires from the PSU. This isnt perfect yet, gotta sand it down some more.

Heres a couple shots of the water cooling stuff in place.

Cut a hole like thing in the back for wires. I have to cut a few more holes, but I am waiting for the motherboard.

The second 120mm RAD will be mounted on top, inside the case.

And ya, thats all I got going so far. Gonna cut a hole in the top for the rad today. So there *might* be a update later tonight.

Suggestions are welcome! :)

10th grader! Awesome man. That would put you @ 15-16 years old. I wish I had the technology you have today when I was that old. My first computer was the Commodore 64! I used to load programs from casset (sp?) tape. It was a revolution when 5 1/4 floppy drives came out. It scares me to think what your skills will be in 20 years. Keep up the good work and keep the pics comming.

Steven

ps subscribed!

Stevennoland said:
10th grader! Awesome man. That would put you @ 15-16 years old. I wish I had the technology you have today when I was that old. My first computer was the Commodore 64! I used to load programs from casset (sp?) tape. It was a revolution when 5 1/4 floppy drives came out. It scares me to think what your skills will be in 20 years. Keep up the good work and keep the pics comming.

Steven

ps subscribed!
Thanks for the comment. :)

I have heard stories about the old computers from my dad. Sounds scary. :eek:

And yes, I just turned 16 1 month ago. :D

"I wish I had the technology you have today when I was that old"

We did it was called the Commodore 64. Very powerfull. Much faster than todays computers.

Very ambitious project. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

8lack8rain said:
"I wish I had the technology you have today when I was that old"

We did it was called the Commodore 64. Very powerfull. Much faster than todays computers.

Very ambitious project. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ah yes the C64. A beast indeed. I remember saving all summer to buy a tape backup so i could save my basic programs.

I cut the top radiator hole. Umm not quite sure what else to say... Motherboard is coming tomarrow, so I'll finish cutting holes than.

Heres a couple of pics.

I'm surprised no one else said anything, but normally you'd want any system to hit the radiator right before the waterblock, not after, as it is in your loop. Your temps will be the coldest right after the radiator, and that's what you want routed to your blocks. Thus:

Res > Pump > Rad 1 > CPU > Rad 2 > GPU > Res

Nice work going on/planned.

Good luck,
-bZj

Down8 said:
I'm surprised no one else said anything, but normally you'd want any system to hit the radiator right before the waterblock, not after, as it is in your loop. Your temps will be the coldest right after the radiator, and that's what you want routed to your blocks. Thus:

Good luck,
-bZj
Yes, I did think of that. If I do it that way I have some tubing running from 1 side of the case to the other. That would look ugly. I would rather have a better looking water loop then 1c better temps that would do nothing for my overclock. (Yes, I did consider Aquacomputer parts, didnt have enough money for em.) I would change to 6mm tubing, but the D5 is keeping me from doing so. :(

Thanks for the suggestion tho. :)

Down8 said:

Good luck,
-bZj

Seriously, I doubt it would be more than a 1c difference no matter where you put the RAD in the loop. The temp of the whole loop always stabilizes because you are moving the water so fast that a single pass through the loop hardly counts.

==>Lazn

Okay... Another update :D

Got my mobo.

Cut a hole in the back for some tubing. Its coming from the rad back to the res.

Heres a couple pics of everthing so far that I got. With a little bit of wiring in place.

The full size pics load slow for me. Is it the same for everyone else? If so, should I find a different image uploader?

Thanks for checking out this thread, please leave comments! :)

Hi L1ght !

First let me say that I am really impressed with your ongoing watercooling setup. :eek:

I want to buy the lian-li pc-v1000 but I have some questions :

1- how did you removed the Hard Drive trays ? are they "fixed" or hold by screws ?
I saw some pictures of the lower part in other web sites and thought these HD trays were fixed there... or maybe removable trays is a feature of the Black version!

2- The two holes on the top, is it factory default ? I would like to put a 2x120mm radiator there ... what kind of space do you have there ? could you please mesure the clearance or take a picture of the inside part of the top ?

Thanks a lot !

Back