Project: CrossFlo (the sequel)

Thanks for the link Synaps3:)

Looks great. If i only had the money to buy supplies i would make my own case.
You dont need to spend big $$ to do this. Just use what you have laying around. I made a few out of Legos too. And I use just simple hand tools.

Thanks for the link Synaps3:)

You dont need to spend big $$ to do this. Just use what you have laying around. I made a few out of Legos too. And I use just simple hand tools.

I built my own HTPC box and it cost me $20 in dremel bits. And i do want to spend big money, i want a nice case.

Making cases out of legos is fun :D

You said you can bend plexi with a hairdryer-- how hard is that to do?

I'm planning on using some plexi on my next build, and I need to make some bends in it. How much better is a heat gun, and where can I get one cheap?

the first time I use a propane torch. It worked fine but you need to keep the flame moving:eek:

Than I used a hairdryer and it took more time but on thinner plastic it works (1/8")

I bought my heat gun at Homedepot I think it was like $39 (I would check out WalMart and Kmart too) I like it best as there are a bunch of adjustments.
Another cool thing about the heat gun is it ROCKS for shrink tubing.

Here is a link to one that is VERY reasonable
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35776

What kind of plastic should i buy? i am looking for one that is 1/4 thickness and able to drill 3/8 inch hole without cracking in half. Advices please.

basically there are 2 kinds (there are other kinds of plastic for other things) here is a description ,
http://www.interstateplastics.com/materials/detail.aspx?ID=ArtPlexiglass

Acrylic-very clear and less expensive (what I use)

Polycarbonate-clear but not as clear as Acrylic, more flexible, is what they use for bullet resistant windows, costs more

I have been bending 1/8" acrylic, im sure 1/4 would bend just fine as well

And as to drilling/cutting. Make sure you use a sharp tool. for holes I have good luck with wood bits like these (and dont force it)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38957
although I use regular metal bits too.

When I cut plexi, I go SLOW. Do not apply pressure, let the drill eat through. I use my dremel as much as possible to cut plexi.

Show me a fan that is that quiet and blows that much air and looks that cool, I will be happy to use it in my next mod.

Hehe... I wasn't knocking the fans. They look about as quiet as I could imagine... I meantioned ball bearings because they last longer. I have had so many sleeve bearing fans that I have had to remove and relube at least once every 6 months or so... I guess that is the only drawback. I use a synthetic bushing lube probably like what you use.

I like the large rubber O ring you are using to mate the fan with the mesh casing...

Hehe... I wasn't knocking the fans. They look about as quiet as I could imagine... I meantioned ball bearings because they last longer. I have had so many sleeve bearing fans that I have had to remove and relube at least once every 6 months or so... I guess that is the only drawback. I use a synthetic bushing lube probably like what you use.

I like the large rubber O ring you are using to mate the fan with the mesh casing...

The Silenx fans use 4 small teflon seals that keep the lube in the bearings so life will be much extended. I really Love the AC8 and 12 fans too (great for $5) but they dont have the seals and the lube eventually spreads out and that causes failure.

The O-ring is molding I get from PetrasTech (very handy stuff)
http://www.petrastechshop.com/neruedtrmo.html

OK back to the picts. The 8800 cards are real heat makers. One of the MAIN reasons is the absolutely ridiculous exhaust port. Its such a bad design they had to cut slots into the side of the card to let the heat that backs up escape into ur case.
i noticed that too about the design of the aircooled 8800's...

so after removing the stock grill, are you going to address the 'side' vents? Maybe close them off so that heat doesn't leak into your case?

The Silenx fans use 4 small teflon seals that keep the lube in the bearings so life will be much extended. I really Love the AC8 and 12 fans too (great for $5) but they dont have the seals and the lube eventually spreads out and that causes failure.

The O-ring is molding I get from PetrasTech (very handy stuff)
http://www.petrastechshop.com/neruedtrmo.html

I have you give you props man!

Not only are you doing a GREAT job on this case, you're giving out free advice like it's cool. Very nice of you to lend some wisdom to me (and others around the thread). Great job:)

Glad you stopped by Trendy.
Here is the voltage adjusting pots. the one with yellow is for 12V, Orange 3.3v, and red 5V.
Since the comp is a little small there is a good chance of shorts.
Picture053-1.jpg

Picture062.jpg

so I get a piece of 1" dual wall shrink tubing and cover the connections
Picture064.jpg

Now usually my comps are a little plain but I saw this fan and went nutts:D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835132006
Picture056.jpg

After all the work on the Silenx fans this one is a little out of place, it vibrates a little, dosent move a lot of air and makes a little noise BUT it looks so fricken COOL! (to me anyways:) )

There is a Thermaltake version that is programmable but I couldnt find one so I got this.

i noticed that too about the design of the aircooled 8800's...

so after removing the stock grill, are you going to address the 'side' vents? Maybe close them off so that heat doesn't leak into your case?

Sorry stormshadow ur post slipped by me. I am leaving the side vents as-is. Now there is very little heat leaving through them (before A LOT!) my temps are 3 to 7C less just by opening the exhaust.(maybe later I may cover them and check temps)

I am thinking that if i have time I may make my own design cooler for the 8800 cards. I was thinking after Qtip 42 was trying to get a card black PCB board I would make my own different color coolers with 120mm fans built in.

why do all pics on newegg and your say 23degrees? is that static? lol

LOL I never noticed that, when I turn mine on at first is says 0C and normally is 26C to 28C. Honestly I just like watching it rotate around the fan:D

I'm not digging the red and blue mix, the fan is cool but, kinda, well...

I think all black fans + that LCD would have provided a much cleaner look.

Oh dam! Hold on while I go and repaint/design the case, keyboard, headphones and mouse so you are cool with it...;)

Originally I was going to go all black. But I like red and am using purple lights to go with my Eclipse II keyboard.(so if you mix red and blue you get purple so I like it)

I was not suggesting you re-paint everything or anything for that matter, too much work. but you wanted feedback so I left it. Just my opinion it's not important.

actually your opinion DOES matter. Its just I really LOVE Red and the stupid Bluegears fan only came in blue:)

Ok lets finish this up
To mount the iMON I cut a piece of threaded rod and screwed it to the front of the Apogee block. The iMON will show through the front smoke panel.
Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Here is the 80mm Slienx fan for the chipset
Picture098.jpg

Now mounted in the back panel
Picture088.jpg

Here it is done. I entered it in the PDXLAN 9 Mod contest sponsored by CPU Mag. I picked up 2nd place. Here are some picts of it.
DSC01820Large.jpg

Here it is showing the purple lighting and purple fluid in the H20 setup (how is that for kick butt Memory/Mosfet cooling)
CrossFloIIlighting.jpg

I didnt take this pict so I dont have a bigger one. But here it is sitting next to a PS box to guage its size.
CompnexttoPSbox.jpg

Bottomhalfdone.jpg

Picture043Medium.jpg

A big thanks to all who took these better picts of my comp than I did...

So explain to me since they (and YOU) havent used this fan how can you compare others to it? How goofy are you?

Is there a scale that rates how goofy someone is? From 1 to goofy, you definately rate goofy? hehehe

So explain to me since they (and YOU) havent used this fan how can you compare others to it? How goofy are you?
I wasn't going to say anything when it first came up cause I didn't want to spoil an awesome thread but having used the fan before I have to agree with them; for the money you can get better performance while maintaining a decent noise level. I'm not impressed with the SilentX fans considering their price but that doesn't mean they're terrible or anything. It just means that they're overpriced for what you get; either way it could be a lot worse. We could be talking Vantec "Stealths" here.

ok can we just stop this flame war?? it doesn't matter which fan mark wants to use.. its his computer so dont tell him what to use and what not to use.. this thread is turning into shitt cause of the flame war!

I wasn't going to say anything when it first came up cause I didn't want to spoil an awesome thread but having used the fan before I have to agree with them; for the money you can get better performance while maintaining a decent noise level. I'm not impressed with the SilentX fans considering their price but that doesn't mean they're terrible or anything. It just means that they're overpriced for what you get; either way it could be a lot worse. We could be talking Vantec "Stealths" here.

Another person that misses the point,
First if you didnt want to ruin the thread with your crap why did you?

Il tell you why, because you 2 fuckheads totally missed the point. There is NO fan that can replace the Silenx fan in THIS build.

In an earlier post I mentioned the Silenx fan was a little generous with its ratings. I also mentioned I totally rebuilt the fan making it much better than it was at stock.

But you dumbfucks feel the need to shit in my thread. I would really like to see ANY of your work.

Show me ONE fan that will replace my 120mm fan.

Another person that misses the point,
First if you didnt want to ruin the thread with your crap why did you?

Il tell you why, because you 2 fuckheads totally missed the point. There is NO fan that can replace the Silenx fan in THIS build.

In an earlier post I mentioned the Silenx fan was a little generous with its ratings. I also mentioned I totally rebuilt the fan making it much better than it was at stock.

But you dumbfucks feel the need to shit in my thread. I would really like to see ANY of your work.

Show me ONE fan that will replace my 120mm fan.

Hahahahahahahahah pwnt.

Nice build man, I'm impressed.

How do you get information about mod contents? I wouldn't mind entering one myself.

It seems to be a secret society, you just have to search for them;)

There are a few that consist of just sending in picts (Ultra, Coolermaster etc)

I just found PDXLAN, they host 500 person Lans and Vector does a absolutely brilliant job of making it fun for the average gamer, modder. I feel this is superior to the Picture Only mod contests as real people get to see your comp and you get to see 500 other comps.

I think I found them at Wiki.

Sorry bud, I wasn't trying to "crap on your thread", just lighten the mood a little. People take things like fans way too seriously. I agree those fans LOOK *fan*tastic with that mod, and that's really what's important. There has been a lot of discussion about those fans and their ratings, but that's not really the point. Nice work, btw... I like the motherboard over the Hd/dvd/power supply idea... I wanted to do that with a custom build some time ago but never got around to it. Again, awesome work, and use whatever fans make you happy.

i am wondering if you use spray paint gun or not? if yes, please be specific which one is recommended? also, any method how you make your painting so shinny and what kind of spray paint you use?

I have no fancy tools, (drill press, mill, compressor etc) Thats one of the things I try to get across in my mods.
Anyone can do it.

For painting i use regular spray paint from AutoZone,Kragens etc.

First is to clean the part really good (your finger prints have oil in them)

Than a light sanding (sanding helps paint to stick)

Spray on a SANDABLE primer (ONLY use lacquer primer, I like self etching best)

Another light sanding(320 grit)

I try to use lacquer as it dries MUCH faster. Probably 2 or 3 lite coats than 1 wet coat.

After it dries (about 30min to 1 hour) a really light sanding with 800 or 1000 grit

Than 2 or 3 coats of clear. I use Enamel clear its shiny enough for me without sanding or polishing any further.

Thats it.

Enamel paint has more gloss but can take weeks to fully dry as it dries from the outside in. It can feel dry outside but the inside will still be soft.

Lacquer is not as glossy but dries in 10 min.

Another IMPORTANT tip is you can paint enamel over Lacquer but try not to paint Lacquer over enamel. Lacquer has a much stronger thinner in it and will attack enamel thats not fully cured.

A couple of other points, PRACTICE, you will get better the more you try it, and read the labels as there is a BUNCH of good info on them.

Back