Project....copycat?? Kinda??

w1retap

[H]F Junkie
Well, I'm sure everyone has seen the Xoxide Warmachine.
http://www.xoxide.com/xoxide-kikboxes-war-machine-case.html

My buddy and I were trying to make something similar. And, this is what we have so far.

Less than $50 case + $50 in supplies = lol!

Its not done yet, and this isn't going to be a work log thread, but I'll post some pix along the way. We just got done with the bronze/aging solutions and clear coated it. The plans are to possibly throw a small water cooling system in it with some dirty looking water, or UV water. (haven't decided yet) But, as you can see, this is more of a darker dirtier look. It has the rusted slime look to it in person. I think the pictures don't to it much justice, but it looks really cool. More pictures will come probably next week. :) (oh, and for reference, the case used to look like one of those bright metallic blue alienware or chenming cases)

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

More pictures need to be taken when the clear coat isn't wet.... :D

But yeah it looks awsome IRL, the clear coat made the finish appear alot darker then it is.

I will probably assemble it tommarow and take some pictures.

On the inside you should go with all silver/chrome black and yellow. and sleeve your water tubes with black sleeving...

I've always wondered what that paint would look like on a case...

yes.. incase anyone is wondering, its Deathsp1t and I who are working on this. =)

Hmm. Who gets to keep the case when you guys are done? :D

Looks decent so far.

Well since i bought everything......me :cool:

BTW i was thinking of doing a mesh backing on the side panel of the case, so when you look in it's like looking through a fence or something.

Just a thought, but what do you guys think?

With a <$50 case, I'd be concerned about stability issies, so if you put a "fence" in, keep that in mind.

If there's no window, it might look really cool, especially if the "fence" could swing open.

Stuey83 said:
With a <$50 case, I'd be concerned about stability issies, so if you put a "fence" in, keep that in mind.

If there's no window, it might look really cool, especially if the "fence" could swing open.
Its plenty sturdy. ^_^

But, the fence/meshing for the window would look pretty cool IMO. We'll see what we can come up with. Maybe get it a little rusted or something. =D

So is xoxide taking these kikbox cases on as consignment or what? I'm a little confused.

The case we used is this one found here

I bought it sometime ago, and made my first "modded" pc with it. The case itself is very stable for the money.

As far as my "fence" idea goes it would be somthing attached to the back of the acrylic panel, so in a sense it would swing out when you open the case.

Should still be a nice home for my new Core 2 Duo when i get it. :D

tylerdustin2008 said:
Broke glass? I would not take the chances of it shattering.
not if you get some of that saftey film, put it on a piece of glass then shatter it. They use it in home security alot so that if a robber tries to break the window it doesnt budge, cool stuff. I saw it on that one show were they had the guys break into peoples houses then gave them a security overhaul.

Oh yea that paint job is horrible.... i like it :cool:

You won't have to worry about it cracking anymore as long as it is shatter proof. I'm sure it won't be that hard to obtain either.

Ok i finally got the ball rolling on this thing.

Pictures!

The Grill
--------------
Grill.jpg

Full View
---------------
FullViewBack.jpg

Corner of the case
---------------------------
Corner.jpg

Top of the case
-----------------------
Front.jpg

It's a combination of somthing called "Sophisticated Finishes: Dark Bronze" and "Sophisticated Finishes: Patina Finish" on that bronze paint to make the weathered effect.

The case did have to be sanded and primered before the paint was applied. If you do it right you will get the same look, and i found the paint and finish at a local craft store so it should not be hard to come by.

BTW the finish looks 100x better if you dont clear coat it, this case has a clear coat because the finish was flaking off a little bit. ;)

i think they sell that kind at walmart.
i might have to do this with a spare case when one rolls around.
*thumbs up*

dude, it looks so fricken sweeet... I love the broken Glass Idea....

*Pictures a custom Case shop like American choppers

yea i must say that looks amazing... two thumbs up from me. A weathered case has a look of raw power IMO. Like its been around yet still stading. I can just see some next gen hardware all watercooled with like a sewage green color of liquid.... Mmmm that'd be sweet :D

I work at best buy so my E6300 and mobo from intel will be coming soon. :D

I havent decided if im going to house it in this case or use this:

IMG_0181.jpg

That would be my current setup in my sig. Its a Lian Li PC-60B. :cool:

Looks good. At first I didn't quite get it... I was like.. umm these guys need to brush up on their paint skills! LOL!

Now that I get it, it looks great. Did you put the "fence" on top of or behind the acrylic side window? Or is there no window (other than the fence)?

yes it is a chieftec case, and as far as the fence goes it is mounted (glued) behind the side window. i used the same process on the fence as i did on the case, so the fence is actually weathered as well.

Updates!!!

Project Copycat Specs:
Very old hardware + windows XP + UV lights = LOL :cool:
(Athlon XP 1600+, 256MB RAM, GeForce Ti4400, IBM 40GB HD)

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

Personally, I think if you did a white cathode light, then some dark, dirty looking water in the cooling. That would be sweet.

dBTelos said:
Personally, I think if you did a white cathode light, then some dark, dirty looking water in the cooling. That would be sweet.

how do u add dark dirty waterish stuff to air cooling
:confused:

OH! LOL, for some reason, I neglected that air cooling does not equal water cooling. You can get an acrylic tubing and some plastic sheeting, seal it up, and then put some brown did water or something. Or you can perhaps create an eco system in there and then seal it up. So you'll get algae and/or some murkiness. If you find that it's too gross, you can toss it out.

Stuey83 said:
OH! LOL, for some reason, I neglected that air cooling does not equal water cooling. You can get an acrylic tubing and some plastic sheeting, seal it up, and then put some brown did water or something. Or you can perhaps create an eco system in there and then seal it up. So you'll get algae and/or some murkiness. If you find that it's too gross, you can toss it out.

Eco-system :p I think that might be a bit.... much.

wo! Thats cool, how did you get your case to be all uneven and stuff. Like plastic is usually smooth, but that looks like its pitted and really un-even.

Back