Project Concept PC H-1

Defyant

Limp Gawd
I started this project quiet a few months back now, it was to be the basis for a concept pc.

the project was put on hold while i finshed HPR2, then with Zak's Hevy plexslb mod, the revamp of HP1 and the building of master blaster for a freind'
"concept pc " just sorta got left under the bench.

The project is an Sony Subwoofer ive had sitting under my desk for a few years now, The shape of this woofer has always caught my eye, the clean simple lines
are modern and stylish....perfect for a mod!

Concept PC

The woofer....these shots are quiet old now but all i have.

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0224.jpg

DSCF0209.jpg

DSCF0227.jpg

The only parts that will be used from the original contruction.

DSCF0029.jpg

The original plans for this mod were to graft the front and top pansl streight onto a close sized chassis.

A concept photo shop shows you what i was planning.

Untitled-2.jpg

This idea was soon scrapped and i opted to build the new chassis/case from plex.

Carefull measurements were taken and a trip to the local plex shop i returned with 9 peices of
very sexy cut to size satin finished plex.

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

First thing i felt compelled to do was to do a early mock up to check all measurements were correct.

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

The guys @ the plex shop had yet again not let me down! perfect.

DSCF0037.jpg

Thats really cool, but one question; do you plan on having the woofer actually work because if im not mistaken, the magnets inside a woofer can ruin comp parts. That is a really cool sub tho, much nicer than my box shaped creative one. i hope everything turns out well for you, good luck

-lawler

Awesome concept, it's amazing how some of you people can look at something and think, "hey, that would make a sweet box!"

My main question is what were you planning to do for drive bays? Just cut the front and have the drives stealthed behind or put them some place else all together?

CYRiX said:
make the front a door so the bays will be behind it....

i think you should install a slot loading optical drive where the grill is, and make that a door, not the entire front.

I'm guessing you have taken all necessary precautions to prevent electromagnetic damage?...Because that is certainly going to be an issue with a large high power speaker sitting within a few inches of your hd, etc...

You might want to rethink a few things

In actual fact it is highly unlikely that a magnet even of that power will affect your hard drive.

Modern hard drive technology simply isn't affected to the same degree by magnetism as the way retro gear was.

As for the motherboard.. well.. hypothetically it is possible you could induce current in some of the coils.. but again, I really doubt it. Cool idea man - is the case going to be a woofer or a pc?? :cool:

Very interesting, I am very interested in seeing where this will go!.
Defyant's quality of work is beyond par!

Soz guys! no subwoofer, this is going to be a PC for my wifey :)

@Tricky. cheers hope the next post will answer your quest , as Aku12 was quik to note
H-1 will have a slot loading DVD ;)

Right from the start i could see the limited size of the unit was not going to allow me to arrange the hardware
in a conventional way, throwing in water to the equasion also added an extra challenge.

I could see just thru simple placement of parts that i this was going to need a 2 teir (layer) setup.

I wanted to incorp the sexy slot loading pioneer DVD into this mod... this + the eventual PSU will sit behind the motherboard,
on the lower or back side of the case.

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

The mother board or back wall is then installed and the mother board is placed for measuremant.

IMG_4813.jpg

The main mods to the facia panel will be to accomodate the slot dvd and the inclusion of a matrix mx202 LCD.

a ruff hole is cut for the LCD a 20 x 4 screen will be used.

to mark the slot for the cdrom the spacers are added and a cd is cut and used to mark where the slot will be cut.

IMG_4821.jpg

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

Next was to secure the spacer and mounts that will hold the DVD/CDROM into place.

Perspex Glue is used and is as strong as a metel weld.

IMG_4845.jpg

The mounts are cut from solid 10mm thick plex, counter sunk drilled and drilled for the locating screws.

Again perspex glue is used to hold these in place.

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

probably one of the most original projects i've seen lately. awesome idea, excellent implementation so far. please keep us updated - i am watching this thread with eager anticipation! :D

I absolutely love the look of that woofer. It's really what the ASUS Vento design should've looked like. Subscribed.

The bottem or base of the new plex chassis is glued into place, with this glued on i will be able to
stand the unit up.

IMG_4859.jpg

The micro atx motherboard-wall/back panel can now be put in place.

IMG_4864.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

the mother board is sat into place and the brass locators are marked for threading.

IMG_4868.jpg

after the locators are screwed in the mothercan be screwed in and the back wall can be marked for cutting to accept the rear metal IO panel.

IMG_4874.jpg

after some carfull meauremants and some dremal cutting the IO panel can be checked for fit.

IMG_4878.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

Next is to remove the unit, and check for what will be the 4 exhaust fans.

since this is such a small case, ive opted to use 4 x 40mm fans,

2 will move the air from the backside of the mother board where the psu is and 2 to remove air from the top side where the motherboard and HDD will
be sitting.

IMG_4883.jpg

have you considered using a PCI blower or two, instead of these 40mm fans? these tiny fans don't move any air - well, hardly any - and can get noisy and annoying...

cheers codeflux! those fans will only be run 2 half speed...

Water cooling will take away most of the heat.

Flipping the Case upright i can next see how the HDD will sit, and check to top " roof cavity " panel for the Fan Rad mod!

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

The top section is perfect to acommodate the cooling duties, it was the first thought i'd had for this mod, and has almost work out too
perfect.

The section is almost perfectly vented to handle to mod. the side vents will allow cool air in while to top vents will allow the warmed air out.

IMG_4891.jpg

the back will also be modded with mesh to allow better flow.

IMG_4893.jpg

a simple mock up shows that this will work fine.

some custom brackets will be welded in.

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

Some old speaker grill mesh will be used to make the new rear......the top section is put on hold, i'll be going into Xcom tommorrow to see
if the new cooler master watercooling kit will be a better way to go.

IMG_4902.jpg

Moving onto the back panel

after the metal io panel is painted with matt back the previously marked back panel is cut.

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4905.jpg

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

with he 4 x 40mm 2 x frontside and 2 x backside fans are bolted in.

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

thanx to some very carfull measuring the assembly fits perfect :)

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

Standing the unit up shows even @ this early stage of constuction it will be a very solid unit!

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

more to come :)

:eek:

that is awesome. i wish my PC-in-a-radio mod had worked out better... it worked (for a while) but it was kinda sloppy. this case doesn't seem to have that problem.

great work so far.
i'm invincible!

sweet...awesome lookin box

i need to find something nifty to throw a computer in :)

That is just AWESOME!
You have done it again Defyant!
I am really impressed with how nice that all looks! :cool:

Defyant said:
cheers codeflux! those fans will only be run 2 half speed...

Water cooling will take away most of the heat.

Flipping the Case upright i can next see how the HDD will sit, and check to top " roof cavity " panel for the Fan Rad mod!

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

The top section is perfect to acommodate the cooling duties, it was the first thought i'd had for this mod, and has almost work out too
perfect.

The section is almost perfectly vented to handle to mod. the side vents will allow cool air in while to top vents will allow the warmed air out.

IMG_4891.jpg

the back will also be modded with mesh to allow better flow.

IMG_4893.jpg

a simple mock up shows that this will work fine.

some custom brackets will be welded in.

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

Some old speaker grill mesh will be used to make the new rear......the top section is put on hold, i'll be going into Xcom tommorrow to see
if the new cooler master watercooling kit will be a better way to go.

IMG_4902.jpg

Moving onto the back panel

after the metal io panel is painted with matt back the previously marked back panel is cut.

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4905.jpg

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

with he 4 x 40mm 2 x frontside and 2 x backside fans are bolted in.

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

thanx to some very carfull measuring the assembly fits perfect :)

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

Standing the unit up shows even @ this early stage of constuction it will be a very solid unit!

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

more to come :)

Please tell me your putting an I/O shield in there to cover the area around the I/O ports.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Please tell me your putting an I/O shield in there to cover the area around the I/O ports.
not to be an ass or anything, but

please if your going to quote a post that you edit out the images, scrolling 3 pages down because its full of images that you already seen to see a simple question isnt that fun.

Aku12 said:
not to be an ass or anything, but

please if your going to quote a post that you edit out the images, scrolling 3 pages down because its full of images that you already seen to see a simple question isnt that fun.

Ditto please edit that post.

he's from Texas - they've got lots of room down there. :) for real, being a "[H]ardness Supreme" one should know better.

excellent progress so far. what sort of mesh are you using? - that looks sexy.

Yes, this is definitely looking sexy. It's nice to see a conversion that uses unusual sources for it's molded parts. That sub is bigger than I pictured from the original photos. That front hole is begging to be an intake, but are you going to use it as one with the water set-up?

Impressive.

I am really liking this project... Very, sexy, and large. I like larger projects =).

Sir-Fragalot said:

You re-posted 10 PAGES of pictures just to add that?

Next time, use your brain before hitting that reply key.

themark said:
Yes, this is definitely looking sexy. It's nice to see a conversion that uses unusual sources for it's molded parts. That sub is bigger than I pictured from the original photos. That front hole is begging to be an intake, but are you going to use it as one with the water set-up?

I'm wondering the same thing. Good spot for the res, mayhap?

those tube res's that you see in front bays would look pretty cool in there.

Back