Project Color Match

MattLaFleur

Weaksauce
Got rid of my mid tower coolermaster Centurion 5 (now my HTPC) and moved to a HAF 932.

Got a good deal on a Maximus formula to replace my GA-EP32-DS3L (also HTPC now)
and decided why not go water while I'm at it. :rolleyes:

so here's how I spent my Friday-Saturday.

got the board first and cleaned the dust off

IMG_0347.jpg

_MG_0357.jpg

lapped the q6600 while I waited for other packages to arrive

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

painted the card backets black to match the case

IMG_0411.jpg

_MG_0361.jpg

Koolance 350 came in took it apart and cleaned it to be safe

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

Finally the case comes in and I can tear it apart

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

also on the door step was

IMG_0497.jpg

got everything down to the bare frame
(sorry about the shitty pics, terrible lighting in this room)

IMG_0500.jpg

got It painted

IMG_0502.jpg

got the board, radiator, block, pump, and tubing all mounted up

IMG_0505.jpg

decided to use IC diamond instead of the AS5 this time

_MG_0353.jpg

cables were an absolute rats nest at first

IMG_0515.jpg

this was my first time working with water, and it took me much, much, much longer to work the air out of the system then I ever would have thought.

IMG_0516.jpg

but its ready to fire up now, the moment of truth has arrived

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

and behold it lives

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the switch to water, much quieter under load and I shaved ~24 degrees off my load temps. The other major plus is now everything is red/black color matched looks great IMO.

very nice...question - was setting up WC very difficult for it being your first time? and how much research/planning did you have to do beforehand? I'm planning on WC my next rig and have never done it before so I'm curious.

that is an awesome mobo by the way - i have the same one.

very nice...question - was setting up WC very difficult for it being your first time? and how much research/planning did you have to do beforehand? I'm planning on WC my next rig and have never done it before so I'm curious.

that is an awesome mobo by the way - i have the same one.

I spent a few weeks reading reviews, trying to balance budget to performance gains (but honestly I think if you go with any of the big name brands you should end up fine), and I feel it turned out fairly well. The koolance 350 seems to be the best performing block out right now as far as I've seen and comes with i7 bracket for when I do my next upgrade in the fall/winter.

my recommendation is to order extra tubing, and coolant/dye. I used 30% more tubing than I expected to due to changes/mistakes. I lost some coolant to a leaking fitting also.

It wasn't an easy build but it was well worth the effort.

The Full Moon beer added a nice touch to this thread! <3 Blue Moon and all of their seasonals!

Back on-topic, glad to hear your first water cooled machine worked well for you. Patience is a virtue! I've never had a water cooled machine or worked with it, but you did a great job it looks like.

Back