Project Burnt Toast

antoniohawk

Limp Gawd
Starting on my first homemade computer and decided to make the victim a toaster oven. So many things to do and so little time, haven't even gotten hardly any of the components yet. Since i'm more of software kinda guy, I don't know much about hardware. Suggestions are always open and you can be certain that I will be asking a lot of questions. So far the bill is thus:

Black and Decker Toaster Oven: $15
Motherboard: $14

*Much more to be added (including pictures and mobo stats) after I finish up my homework.*

I got this motherboard over at Syntax. In the manual for the mobo it says to install the cpu of my choice, but on the site it appears to be built in. If it is in fact built in, how will this 850mhz compare to the 1.6ghz that i currently use?

beleive that was the deal tigerdeerect had.

well not really a deal, I heard that chip was really craptacular.

goodluck with the mod :)

Originally posted by antoniohawk
I got this motherboard over at Syntax. In the manual for the mobo it says to install the cpu of my choice, but on the site it appears to be built in. If it is in fact built in, how will this 850mhz compare to the 1.6ghz that i currently use?

hm, its like a poor mans mini-itx :p

compared to your 1.6 what? if its a celeron the via will be just as good :)

actually they are about as good as a p2 300 or so.

Alright, I know you're going to be looking for a PSU that will fit soon. First you're going to think about cramming an ATX in there, which won't work, then you'll think of trying it without the cover on it. You'll then hit up eBay to check out mATX power supplies, which will probably be too big. Eventually you're going to end up thinking of a Flex-ATX, and you're going to buy a Flex-ATX case off of ebay since they're more expensive new from directron. First you'll consider the nice cheap IBM netvista cases that Bargainland is selling, maybe even buying one, but the 70 watts will not be enough to run a decent computer. You'll find a higher quality FlexATX case with a better PSU, and buy that.

Or, I could be totally, flat out wrong.

Um... well i haven't gotten to the point of finding a psu yet, so i haven't given it much thought. It does seem as though it will pose a huge problem, now that I think about it. What do people using mini-atx mobos usually use as a psu?

You could either get a Flex-ATX one like I described, or get one of these, which can unfortunately only supply a meager 55 watts.

Also, check out 1U server PSUs, there's one on ebay here .

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry everyone for the lack of updates in the last... 2 months! The reason that there weren't any updates is that I haven't made any changes to the toaster oven. Been too busy with school and whatnot to even have a chance. Now that I have some more time I'm working on it again. Now for some long awaited pictures.

DSC00737.JPG

DSC00738.JPG

DSC00739.JPG

DSC00740.JPG

DSC00741.JPG

DSC00742.JPG

DSC00743.JPG

DSC00723.JPG

DSC00726.JPG

DSC00728.JPG

DSC00735.JPG

DSC00736.JPG

As you can see, it was very very dirty when I got it. All that is now clean, except for the few places that will just not clean. No worries, it's going to be sanded and painted black later.

Back