Project: BlueSparkle

[D]ark[A]cid

n00bie
This computer is for my sister, for her bday present. I'm not doing a big write up of everything as its all fairly common mods, pics will tell most of the story.

Bought this case off the OCAU forums.

bluesparkle1.jpg

bluesparkle2.jpg

bluesparkle3.jpg

The previous owner started removing the fan grills and did a real hack job :S and he's also used paper to cover any vents or fanholes not being used with fans for some reason.

bluesparkle4.jpg

The case panels have an interesting design. The top panel is secured with one screw, you remove that and then slide the panel off.

bluesparkle5.jpg

The side panels are held in place using the normal side panel slide mechanism things, except in this case it is made to slide vertically, so the top hold the panels on the case.

bluesparkle6.jpg

Onto the Modding....

I marked out the front fan holes to be removed.

bluesparkle8.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot to get a pic of it cut out. But here is a pic where it has been cut out, and I have marked out the next cut, to make room for the front 92mm blowhole fans to fit.

bluesparkle13.jpg

Now for the front panel I planned for 3 x 92mm blowholes.

First hole was cut using a variable holesaw.

bluesparkle7.jpg

This was a bit too aggressive for the plastic so I decided to dremel the other two holes out.

bluesparkle10.jpg

90mm pipe is cut to rough size using a dremel, and positioned in the front panel.

bluesparkle12.jpg

Some all pupose glue is used to hold it in place for the time being.

bluesparkle14.jpg

Then as things are all going smoothly, I start to cut the pipe flush with the bezel, then all of a sudden my dremel clone dies on me. I open it up and with a bit of fiddling i seem to have fixed it, but it wouldnt fit back together :S So being in a rush, my dad bought me a dremel multipro.

bluesparkle17.jpg

Using my new dremel, I finished off the cuts to make the pipe flush with the bezel.

bluesparkle18.jpg

Bondo is used at the back to secure the pipes strongly.

bluesparkle25.jpg

First layer of bondo after a little sanding.

bluesparkle26.jpg

Second layer (I think my bondo skills are improving)

bluesparkle27.jpg

bluesparkle28.jpg

The Back Panel has restrictive fan grills, and an ugly little grill and these old port space things on it, all to be removed.

bluesparkle15.jpg

Marked for cutting, and the mesh I plan on filling the holes with. MAD, your mesh has proved to be extremely helpful, ty mate!

bluesparkle16.jpg

Forgot to take a picture of the completed cut, DOH!

Anyway, here is the case unassembled, ready to be painted, you can see the finished cuts in here.

bluesparkle22.jpg

I need something to mount that front blowhole fans to, so I got a sheet of plexi marked it out and started cutting,

bluesparkle19.jpg

bluesparkle20.jpg

The side panel was taped off, and marked for cutting of the window.

bluesparkle23.jpg

Halfway through cutting I scrapped the design and just made it into a square rounded window.

bluesparkle24.jpg

There will be more updates coming real soon..

All comments are really appreciated and I love feedback..good or bad.

I removed the hosting pimpage as per rules.............but...........

Nice job so far. I'm glad someone is working on their bondo skills here. You really should clean up the backside of the front bezel just so it's a professional job. :D

Second layer sanded, getting a nice shape.

bluesparkle29.jpg

bluesparkle30.jpg

bluesparkle31.jpg

bluesparkle32.jpg

3rd layer on.

bluesparkle33.jpg

3rd Layer sanded.

bluesparkle34.jpg

bluesparkle35.jpg

A black guide coat was sprayed on and then sanded to show up the lower areas better.

bluesparkle36.jpg

All the lower black areas have bondo smoothed over them.

bluesparkle37.jpg

Sanded back smooth.

bluesparkle38.jpg

bluesparkle39.jpg

bluesparkle40.jpg

The top was bondoed at the last minute when I realised the removable part of the bezel was not level with the actual bezel frame. Shitty photo sorry guys.

bluesparkle41.jpg

Picked up some things at bunnings to use for the fans. In the shop they seemed perfect, and I was going to cut down the one on the left at the base of the actual cone part.

bluesparkle42.jpg

But once I put them on the fans, they seem way too small. There was nothing bigger at bunnings and being too young to drive, I can't really go around to different shops looking for the right thing so these might have to do :(

bluesparkle43.jpg

bluesparkle44.jpg

Prepping for Paint.

I bought some new rolls of sandpaper and sanded back the panels.

bluesparkle45.jpg

bluesparkle46.jpg

Completely sanded with 80grit.

bluesparkle47.jpg

bluesparkle48.jpg

And since quite a few people from different forums have asked me what colour it is going to be. I'm using this Metallic Blue on the outer panels and bezel, and flat black on the inside.

bluesparkle49.jpg

I've already finished painting the inside flat black, and I will most likely have another update later tonight of the case internals being assembled.

All those silver rivets/screws look out of place on the black case :/

Looks good tho, keep up the good work.

the black knight always triumphs!

looking good.

are you only using a dremel to cut everything or are you using other power tools? If not that's some fine cutting with the dremel.

Thanks for all the comments guys, they are all really appreciated.

SC385 said:
looking good.

are you only using a dremel to cut everything or are you using other power tools? If not that's some fine cutting with the dremel.

I used a jigsaw for the side panel window, and my dremel for everything else.

excellent!

you should try to smooth your bondo out more or use less, then you wouldn't have to sand so much

Back slot covers painted black.

bluesparkle56.jpg

Rear 80mm fans and mesh cut to shape. Hasn't been cleaned yet.

bluesparkle57.jpg

Mesh hot glued in place.

bluesparkle58.jpg

All the components and case ready to be installed.

bluesparkle59.jpg

The system installed in the chassis.

bluesparkle60.jpg

The front 90mm fans installed I haven't attached the cones yet as I'm not sure what I will be using.

bluesparkle61.jpg

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

You need an insane amout of bandwidth to host your own pics here.

I started the painting on the case panels. Sorry about the pictures, the panels seem to look blotchy in all the photos but they arent. For example the bare metal is perfectly even and all looks uniform.

Sanded back to bare metal.

bluesparkle63.jpg

Sprayed with 1 coat of metal primer.

bluesparkle64.jpg

2nd coat of metal primer.

bluesparkle65.jpg

First light coat of metallic blue.

bluesparkle66.jpg

3rd coat of metallic blue.

bluesparkle67.jpg

bluesparkle68.jpg

The blue is pretty good looking, and it doesnt look patchy like in the photos, it still needs another coat or two though.

nice paint man, I know what you mean about paint not looking right in pictures

Another coat on the panels.

bluesparkle69.jpg

Just fixed up a few little problems with bondo.

bluesparkle70.jpg

And sanded down.

bluesparkle73.jpg

Taped up a piece of clear plex for the window (the blue paint is to mark which corner to measure from)

bluesparkle71.jpg

I wired up the front fans, I spliced into the power line from the CCFL that is going in there.

bluesparkle72.jpg

I didnt have any buttons that fit in with the case. So I decided to mold some in.

bluesparkle74.jpg

The Power Button.

bluesparkle75.jpg

bluesparkle77.jpg

bluesparkle78.jpg

The Stealthed DVD RW Button.

bluesparkle79.jpg

Then I put down a coat of filler primer.

bluesparkle80.jpg

Then a light coat of the metallic blue. (or Sparkley Blue hence the name) Thats only a light coat but it has come up well already. I will do 2 - 4 more coats. I'm also thinking of spraying the inside of the tubes, the inner part of the drive spaces, and the whole back of the bezel flat black to blend in with the case theme a bit better and for a more professional look.

bluesparkle82.jpg

Nice job, You've got My attention. I like the colors too, Much better than stock. :D

seems like turned a uglyass case in to thing of beaty, personaly i whould have painted the whole case black to keep the same look, but i'm sure it's just me, allways hated blue.
but i really have to say that you have made awesome jop with your case...... two thums up..

it looked nice but it seems now that u exceeded your bandwith :(

Poor guy got linked on the front page. That'll kill most people's bandwidth... sucks that it had to be right at the start of the month too.

(Congrats on the pimpage :p)

the black knight always triumphs!

edit: oh, I'll host pics for you if you want, btw.

yeah, from his index page:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

I dont think many people's personal web space can stand up to being linked on the front page. Might want to try photo bucket or something along those lines, or maybe using thumbs here with links to larger versions. I was really enjoying this work log, very clean work, hope the bandwidth gets resolved soon.

Back