Project: Beast III

Stevennoland said:
The max RPM is 6500 I think. The case would have to be doing about 80 MPH to hit that.

LOL, at least you have it covered. Weird thing is, I could see this thing pulling those kind of speeds for some reason... ;)

Stevennoland said:
I was originally going to make the wheels out of aluminum, but a quick search in my toolbox turned up some scrap titanium.

That is an AWESOME toolbox you have there. I hope, that one day, my toolbox will have that kind of level of scrap in it. Never did think that the words "scrap" and "titanium" would be used in the same sentence..

AMAZING work, please keep it up.

/subscribed
/amazed
/inspired

Dude, I whish the weels on my car looked as good as those!!! Very elegant, nice touch.

Dumass_Freakboy said:
Please resize those pics.... I have to scroll sideways on my 24" monitor...
But looking good :D
then scroll! love the pics keep em huge to show the detail!
loving the wheels... almost looks like the wheel from a six-gun.

Thanks for the kind words. I took some more pictures of the right size. Sorry about that.

I'm working on the axles right now. Expect an update by the weekend.

Stay tuned!

Steven

i wish i was a machinist! hot damn those wheels look good. lovin' it so far.

the black knight always triumphs!

yeah man, the way to showed them--looked like a set of rims. BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!!

Spinners?

lol...keep up the fantastic work.

Pkirk618 said:
yeah man, the way to showed them--looked like a set of rims. BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!!

Spinners?

lol...keep up the fantastic work.

Spinners. LOL! That would have taken the cake.

Thanks all for the nice kudos.

Steven

O
M
G

That is just god damn amazing!
I am going to show my friend Steve... He works for Magna (Machinist), he loves stuff like this.

wowwwwwwwwww

mak me one haha

i like the cas eim gonn ahave to try and find one see how much they are :)

Here are the finished axles. I'll explain what the square is for later.

That square was ground on. It is 1/4" square by 1/4" wide
axle002.jpg

Here are the flats for the set screws to affix the wheels
axle003.jpg

Close up (I was going to put the rubber tread on, but they are difficult to put on and take off)
wheel035.jpg

Here is a close up of the square on the axle. This is where that bushing is going. There will be a quarter inch pin that will go in there to lock and unlock the wheels.
wheel036.jpg

All together
wheel037.jpg

Close-ups
wheel038.jpg

wheel039.jpg

Here is a close up of the set screw. This one is obviously too long. I ordered some .125" long ones today. These were the shortest we had at the shop.
wheel040.jpg

Other than the bushing and the 1/4" pin, the wheels are done. I'm still unsure of what color to make the housings.

I'll be starting on the handles tomorrow morning. I'll post some pics of my progress this comming week.

Stay tuned!

Steven

paradoxblue said:
wowwwwwwwwww

mak me one haha

i like the cas eim gonn ahave to try and find one see how much they are :)

Sure I'll make you one. As soon as you cough up some mucho dinero! LOL

The case will set you back $290.00 (plus s&h) at Newegg. Get one! You will want to have relations with it.

Steven

And again, thanks for all the kudos people. It does do wonders for my waning ego. Plus it spurs me to keep going. Thanks!

Steven

WOW! those "Rims" look SHWEET! :D i wouldnt mind having those on a car either, their clean but agressive looking IMO :p

what is the diameter of the holes in the wheels? looks just about right for a .40! might look cool to stick a nickel plated shell or two in each wheel from behind so the nose of the bullet sticks out. :)

Your machine work is awesome. My dad has a big lathe & milling machine (a hobby he's picking up for retirement), but I haven't really learned how to use it except for the most basic tasks. Great work!

*waits for updates*

Ctrl_Alt_Delete said:
what is the diameter of the holes in the wheels? looks just about right for a .40! might look cool to stick a nickel plated shell or two in each wheel from behind so the nose of the bullet sticks out. :)

what is the diameter of a .40 cal casing? the holes he drilled are .4375

thats another sweet idea. If you were doing a bullet/war machine theme, that would be sooo sweet.

as for the great work you do (another ego pickerupper for you to keep working lol) where did you get your training?

...and I was just thinking....machinest can literally be dangerous people. I mean, they can make whatever their heart desires. I'm thinking you could make weapons too if you wanted to out of all kinds of material. IOW kudos to you and what you do. I've seen other work by machinest but without an idea, a real idea from a creative mind, you're without a product. You my friend are creative.

Will you be my friend lol?

Pkirk618 said:
thats another sweet idea. If you were doing a bullet/war machine theme, that would be sooo sweet.

as for the great work you do (another ego pickerupper for you to keep working lol) where did you get your training?

...and I was just thinking....machinest can literally be dangerous people. I mean, they can make whatever their heart desires. I'm thinking you could make weapons too if you wanted to out of all kinds of material. IOW kudos to you and what you do. I've seen other work by machinest but without an idea, a real idea from a creative mind, you're without a product. You my friend are creative.

Will you be my friend lol?

No war machine theme here. Sorry. Thanks for the comments. All my training was done on the job. My boss is excellent at giving me every opportunity to excel.

Creative! Me? Well thank you.

Here is a shot of my current home theater set-up. The TV stand and the speaker stands were custom built by me. The TV stand measures 60" wide x 24" deep x 17.5" tall. The speaker stands are also way overbuilt. With the speaker, EACH stand weighs 96 pounds!
Sorry about the pic size. It was actually 1.58MB in size. Photobucket resized it for you all.
IMG_1334.jpg
[/IMG]

I wish I had more updates. Look for one very soon. Lets just say I need to order some new bolts.

Stay tuned!

Steven

Amazing. The only thing I have to say, is to get rid of the Rubber tred. You made the rims out of Titanium, and they probubly cost more than most people's cars. Why not show them off?

What hardware is going into this?

Bbq said:
What hardware is going into this?

This is so true for 8 pages we have all been engrossed in your magnificent work and pictures that we have not found out what this monster is being built to hold.

From what I see from everything you have this is going to be very high end.
So I’m going to guess fx-60; SLI 7900gtx (maybe a quad SLI j/k); 2x150 Gbs Raptors; 6 x 500 Gbs HDD; PCP & P 1K watt

As always you are a god among men
Excellent Work

Originally Posted by Shameless Liar
If you are using Firefox: and want to block this pic then

Right click the picture > Block Images From ...

It'll block the nasty ass pic wherever it may appear.

smileban.gif

wish there was an option like that for IE. This thread is one of my favorites and he just crapped on it. Banning him is nothing compared to what he deserves.

can someone who knows how to ban ban him????
Great case and love the thread, but slammer should really get out more...and then shoot himself

andrew911tt said:
This is so true for 8 pages we have all been engrossed in your magnificent work and pictures that we have not found out what this monster is being built to hold.

From what I see from everything you have this is going to be very high end.
So I’m going to guess fx-60; SLI 7900gtx (maybe a quad SLI j/k); 2x150 Gbs Raptors; 6 x 500 Gbs HDD; PCP & P 1K watt

As always you are a god among men
Excellent Work

You all can guess as to what is going inside of this beast because I have no idea. The only thing I do know is it will have three hard drives. The first two will be raptors in a raid 0 and the other will be large (400GB or bigger).

Steven

I'm seeing some good stuff here with all that machine work. Lets see some more! :D

Quad SLI??? Thing is though, i don't know if you will be able to buy it on its own, as most reports say it will be system builders only for quite some time...

also, will it be socket am2 or intel conroe... i guess it depends how long the mod takes...

f

You know, I was initially put off by the threadcrappers on the first two pages here, so I hadn't been back in here to read how things were going. Glad you got the Sticky, cause I came back to give it a second change... Good thing too, cause that is some impressive work. Reading through what you have so far, though, I am a little confused on one thing. For the HDDs, is the tubing that long so that you can take the drive out of the cage without dismantling the loop? If so, how much clearance are you going to need above and below it to actually maneuver (sp?) them in and out? Also, looks like your tubing might get in the way some during removal as well. Is that just due to the temp setup for your illustration?

Looking good!

uzor said:
You know, I was initially put off by the threadcrappers on the first two pages here, so I hadn't been back in here to read how things were going. Glad you got the Sticky, cause I came back to give it a second change... Good thing too, cause that is some impressive work. Reading through what you have so far, though, I am a little confused on one thing. For the HDDs, is the tubing that long so that you can take the drive out of the cage without dismantling the loop? If so, how much clearance are you going to need above and below it to actually maneuver (sp?) them in and out? Also, looks like your tubing might get in the way some during removal as well. Is that just due to the temp setup for your illustration?

Looking good!

First, WOW! My project is stickied (is that allowed?) Thanks for all the kind words folks.

The mock set-up of the HHD and tubing was really rough. The tubing will be some what long to aid in removal of the HHD in case the drive does fail and needs to be replaced. I designed it this way so the H2O loop wouldn't have to be compromised. The clearance is not a problem. Thanks for asking. Update is comming real soon.

Steven

I mounted the radiators on the side panels. When I went to put the holes in the side panels, I screwed up on the measurement. To remedy this I used some aluminum risers to allow for the extra space. It's not what I had hoped for, but it still looks ok.

Here is a shot of the hole in the side panel. 7/32" size.
KOMU021.jpg

The eight holes in panel
KOMU022.jpg

Here is the mounting rail. Luckily, the rail came drilled to the proper size for a 10-32 thread. I then opened the adjacent hole to 7/32"
KOMU023.jpg

I then tapped the holes in the radiator.10-32 again (love that size) It's a little tought to see
KOMU024.jpg

Spacers
spacer001.jpg

I then mounted the rail to the rad.
KOMU025.jpg

KOMU026.jpg

Here is a shot of the backside of the side panel lined up with the mounting rail
KOMU027.jpg

Screwed in place
KOMU028.jpg

Shot of rad and side panel
KOMU029.jpg

Back side of panel
KOMU030.jpg

And panels installed!
KOMU031.jpg

KOMU032.jpg

KOMU033.jpg

KOMU034.jpg

I'm planning on anodizing the spacers. Black would be a good contrast. I'm hoping it'll make it look like the rad is floating.

Stay tuned!

Steven

Back