Project: Batman Begins (completed!!!)

All i did today was strip the SFF case only to find the mobo was bigger than expected. 7.5" x 12.25" .....I thought flex boards were a LOT smaller than this but I guess not. It barely fits into the wing, not my first placement choice but it works.
batman6.jpg

mashie said:
SFF != FlexATX

Most of the Shuttle XPCs has the same size as a rotated FlexATX though.

That case still begs for a load of EPIA boards ;)
DIDO

mashie said:
SFF != FlexATX

Most of the Shuttle XPCs has the same size as a rotated FlexATX though.

That case still begs for a load of EPIA boards ;)

Well i figured it didn't amount to the exact same size but I figured it'd be only a bit bigger, not a lot. See my experience is mainly with mini-itx and atx :p And if you want to find someone willing to send me 4 mini-itx P4 boards, I'll use them :p

build a farm into it for folding... or not. too much heat if p4s get used, and epias suck for folding.

really cool looking case idea imo. hope it works out well.

altec: i think you meant ditto, not dido.;)

ok cool,

can i get a copy of that batman shape, i wanna make a small one out of CF, do some backlighting and put it on the side of my Antec aria
might make 2 (on for each side)

Could u set up some leds to shine on some black construction paper in the shape of the batman insigna and put it on a sheet of plexi...
It would ba a nice projection onto the ceiling...

i'll be workin on a projection thing later on when it get further into the project. I'll have another update either later tonight or in the morning. I've been busy doing too many cases at once. You can watch on www.modcam.net tonight if you want. Cam5

oh man this is so cool. The case is shaping up to be awsome. PLUS... I CAN SEE YOU RIGHT NOW! I have my capture program ready in case you pick your nose! :D

Heh, well tonight was shortlived. I broke my 4-40 tap and for some reason I didn't have a 2nd one. I swear I had 2 but I can't find the other. Anyway, I'll have to go get another in the morning and then I'll have some pics to post tomorrow once everything is mounted. All I've done so far tonight is layout the components and decide what looks good. This seems like it's gonna be a wirey mess.

Quick Question on hardware: What mobo is that/ what SFF did it come from? It looks like a Biostar, I'm interested since I like the placement of the AGP and PCI slots for a project I'm thinking of.

Really awesome project. :)

seeing those form factors is like watching discovery channel, when they reveal creatures of the deep sea....

mashie said:
So far all SFF mobos has used the same position of the PCI and AGP slot as well as the mounting holes so they are as exotic as tuna fish. ;)

However the Shuttle SN25P is as exotic as it gets due to a shuffle around with the expansion slots now on the other side of the motherboard... Can't wait to see a picture of the inside.

i have never messed with SFF....anything but AT and ATX is weird looking to me...And what was that really old form??? I cant remember...i nthe says of SOMM

For some reason I managed to break two 4-40 taps today (even using cutting oil). The aluminum just seemed to strip off all the threads on them. Anyway I switched to 6-32 and mounted half of the bat. The lip that I left is for the sides when I put them on. It should be either 1/16" or 1/32" that I use.
batman7.jpg

Not much happened this weekend since I took a day off to relax and not think about cases (that's a first). Tonight I quickly mounted the brackets on the right side of the bat and the motherboard. I finished off by bondo'ing up some holes that were in the wrong spot. It shouldn't show up later as long as I paint the insides.

No pics this time.

The real fun comes when I have to make 5" cables just to extend the I/O's.

batman8.jpg

Change of plans. I'm ditching this flex atx motherboard for a newer microatx motherboard. The newer board has PCI-E on it and fits in a less precarious position on the wing. Here's a pic from the other night, I finished off the tail but a lot of it will need to be cut out for the wires to pass through. If you notice the brackets are off just a bit in places, thats because I'm gonna line up 1/32" aluminum on the lip. I'll adjust the brackets for a perfect fit and no more unsightly overlaps.

batman9.jpg

I'm still working a bit on the standard custom case so the batman case was on hold for a bit. I got started late tonight but didn't move very fast. My fingers stop working when it's below 40 degrees.

edit: Sorry about the shitty brown tone to all of the pictures. I haven't sat down long enough to tell whether it's the camera or the shitty lighting. I'm guessing its the cam, I'll try to get them looking better next update. The overall blurry nature of the pic is thanks to paintshoppro, which sucks.
batman10.jpg

Why so thick? And its prob your lighting or the color of the walls giving the pics that yellow look.

i thought it was only going to be 2 inches thick or there about, the same as a plasma tv, why so thick

mashie said:
Just use effects > sharpen > sharpen after you resize the pics in psp and the blurryness will go bye bye.

Btw, that will be a hell of a cake ;)
a mashie tip of the day i think we'll all use that one

Even if the image appears sharp in PSP, it will blur the pic even if compression is at the min of 1%. I need to use another program or another format for the pics I'd use PNGs but they get kinda large in size.

As far as the thickness goes, I'm doing 4" right now. It can probably go down to 3" but I don't want to go any lower because I want to use some 60mm fans and some other stuff. I'm allowing for at least 2-4 hdd's, 2, dvdrws, a mobo, and a p/s. The insides are going to be decorated as much as the outside (even though you won't see inside). Gotta make this xAW look good all over the place. No compromising on this one.

I know it's a little late now, but why didn't you use rivets instead of screws? You would save time tapping and screwing (hehe :p ).

I would try to keep it 3" thick if you can.

Good job so far.

Rivets are permanent. I'd rather use tiny screws so I can take everything off in the end and paint it. Rivets make it so I have to paint everything at once.

Getting behind as usual. I realize it's quite thick but trust me, it'll all be worth it.
batman11.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. How much fabrication experience have you had? It takes mad skills to do stuff like that.

Back