• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project Aurora V2 56K runaway

elm669

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 8, 2003
Messages
2,467



After getting a good 1.5 years service out of my conroe / 7600gs system and with wotlk making the hardware show its age and lagging a bit I decided to upgrade. Frys had a Core 2 quad 8200 with a G31mobo and 4gb ram combo deal which I grabbed.

When I built Aurora V1 I had little free time and lots of money so I rigged/modified whatever I could to make it work and get it running asap.. This time I decided to take my time and do this build right. . Aurora V1 was a Core 2 Duo E6400 with a blue orb hsf riding atop with 2gb ram and a 7600gs all housed in a raidmax Ares case.



Front:




The side panel which I reused the window in my new case:



Pic of inside the case:


Ghetto modding at its finest:



After looking at many many cases not only at frys but also online etailers I wasn't satisfied so the diy bug hit... I was after a simple yet classy case with a bit of a clean business look. Turns out I had the case I was looking for all along in the corner of my attic covered with dust, coke.. you name it...

Behold the beige box of terror:



She was a screamer... 266mhz cacheless celeron with 32mb ram and a 4mb agp card riding on a 440lx mobo with a whopping 2gb hdd :D



After looking at it closer I realized it was a well made case with some strength and worthy of building.. it'll hold my fat 200lb ass up while standing on it :p








Of course seeing how it had a full top cover a window wouldnt work well so I had to do something about it...




First I cleaned and prepped the case and decided on this paint:


It turned out better than I thought it would...

Spraying the front panel:



Front Panel finished:




After going to radio shack I decided on what lights I would upgrade it too:








Stamp of when it was made 12-24-1998 with big letters CM stamped in



Painting it:



Finished front panel and case paint


slick :)

What I ended up doing was cutting one side off of the case to make a side panel to allow for a window mod.

setting up the window from my old raidmax case to reuse:



Templates are fun:



Let the hacking begin =D

Drilled out the mounting holes:



Little by little the window becomes a reality:




Almost there:



Not bad for a first casemod :D



Test Fitting the window:



Prepping then onto paint:



After some thought I decided I wanted a blow hole in the top of the case...





Assembling the side panel:



First test fit of the case and side panel together:



Painting the Top cover of the case:





Cutted hole in the top of the case for fan:



First full assembly of the case, testing ccfls and fans:



Testing the blowhole fan:




Mounting bracket for front 120mm fan:



Beginning assembly:



Finished at last!





















The Case didnt have any feet so I went to radio shack and bought some pads:




And so you have it.. from a boring beige box to something with a bit of eye candy:

Before: After:

You know you have a serious case when... It weights around 50lbs fully built..High quality Steel ftw

Total Build time: 4 days 6 hours
Money spent: 70$
 
Very well done man. You definatley had a great foundation, it's surprising what some of these old/mainstream cases offer and you really showed the potential of these. I too, LOVE to mod older cases for fun and experience. Awesome job man, I'd pimp that case in a heartbeat :cool:

Hope this inspires you to do some more, I really dig seeing these types of mods.
 
Back
Top