Project Aurora V2 56K runaway

elm669

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 8, 2003
Messages
2,454



After getting a good 1.5 years service out of my conroe / 7600gs system and with wotlk making the hardware show its age and lagging a bit I decided to upgrade. Frys had a Core 2 quad 8200 with a G31mobo and 4gb ram combo deal which I grabbed.

When I built Aurora V1 I had little free time and lots of money so I rigged/modified whatever I could to make it work and get it running asap.. This time I decided to take my time and do this build right. . Aurora V1 was a Core 2 Duo E6400 with a blue orb hsf riding atop with 2gb ram and a 7600gs all housed in a raidmax Ares case.



Front:




The side panel which I reused the window in my new case:



Pic of inside the case:


Ghetto modding at its finest:



After looking at many many cases not only at frys but also online etailers I wasn't satisfied so the diy bug hit... I was after a simple yet classy case with a bit of a clean business look. Turns out I had the case I was looking for all along in the corner of my attic covered with dust, coke.. you name it...

Behold the beige box of terror:



She was a screamer... 266mhz cacheless celeron with 32mb ram and a 4mb agp card riding on a 440lx mobo with a whopping 2gb hdd :D



After looking at it closer I realized it was a well made case with some strength and worthy of building.. it'll hold my fat 200lb ass up while standing on it :p








Of course seeing how it had a full top cover a window wouldnt work well so I had to do something about it...




First I cleaned and prepped the case and decided on this paint:


It turned out better than I thought it would...

Spraying the front panel:



Front Panel finished:




After going to radio shack I decided on what lights I would upgrade it too:








Stamp of when it was made 12-24-1998 with big letters CM stamped in



Painting it:



Finished front panel and case paint


slick :)

What I ended up doing was cutting one side off of the case to make a side panel to allow for a window mod.

setting up the window from my old raidmax case to reuse:



Templates are fun:



Let the hacking begin =D

Drilled out the mounting holes:



Little by little the window becomes a reality:




Almost there:



Not bad for a first casemod :D



Test Fitting the window:



Prepping then onto paint:



After some thought I decided I wanted a blow hole in the top of the case...





Assembling the side panel:



First test fit of the case and side panel together:



Painting the Top cover of the case:





Cutted hole in the top of the case for fan:



First full assembly of the case, testing ccfls and fans:



Testing the blowhole fan:




Mounting bracket for front 120mm fan:



Beginning assembly:



Finished at last!





















The Case didnt have any feet so I went to radio shack and bought some pads:




And so you have it.. from a boring beige box to something with a bit of eye candy:

Before: After:

You know you have a serious case when... It weights around 50lbs fully built..High quality Steel ftw

Total Build time: 4 days 6 hours
Money spent: 70$
 

nemesis27

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
255
Very well done man. You definatley had a great foundation, it's surprising what some of these old/mainstream cases offer and you really showed the potential of these. I too, LOVE to mod older cases for fun and experience. Awesome job man, I'd pimp that case in a heartbeat :cool:

Hope this inspires you to do some more, I really dig seeing these types of mods.
 
Top