Project Arctic Force

Orayn

Limp Gawd
I live in Minnesota. It's a really freaking cold place. I plan to harness that power to drop my temps. Thus, I'll run an insulated duct from outside, through my wall, and into my case. I wonder what'll happen to 40C temps when 0 to -15C air is being pumped into the case?

What about condensation and other factors that stop most people from doing this...

filthysanchez said:
watercool your computer, and set the rad outside : )
the the water in the rad freezes but the water in the tubes and waterblocks doesn't, and you get no circulation.

then you get a fried CPU and whatever else was in the same loop as that rad.

in other words, a completely boneheaded idea.

I think there is a several month long period where the outside air in MN is completely dry.

How would the radiator freeze? The water is always moving which makes it really tough for water to freeze, not to mention you'd probably want to add about 10% antifreeze into the mixture.

You dont think an overclocked CPU and GPU puts out enough heat to keep things above a few degrees C? Most Phase change compressors are capable of running your CPU at about -20'c, and when unloaded work at about -60'c. Consider that your CPU puts out about the same amount of heat as a GPU and this would pretty much double the delta between coolant temp and cooling potential.

The biggest problem would be that the water would be below ambient, and condense everywhere.

Just stick your entire case out your window. Do what I did, Put 2 handles on top of it, cover the side with cloth (to avoid scratching) and hang it outside your window! Bring all the cables in through the window and you have an empty desk, and awesome temperatures :D.

Arcygenical said:
Just stick your entire case out your window. Do what I did, Put 2 handles on top of it, cover the side with cloth (to avoid scratching) and hang it outside your window! Bring all the cables in through the window and you have an empty desk, and awesome temperatures :D.

Wtf? Can I see a picture please. :rolleyes:

Arcygenical said:
How would the radiator freeze? The water is always moving which makes it really tough for water to freeze, not to mention you'd probably want to add about 10% antifreeze into the mixture.

You dont think an overclocked CPU and GPU puts out enough heat to keep things above a few degrees C? Most Phase change compressors are capable of running your CPU at about -20'c, and when unloaded work at about -60'c. Consider that your CPU puts out about the same amount of heat as a GPU and this would pretty much double the delta between coolant temp and cooling potential.

It would also be good to be FOLDING ALL THE TIME so temps didnt drop too low
;)

I live in Alaska and have thought about this too. Albeit not like this. I was more worried that my computer that sits infront of a window would have condensation when the air outside was below freezing, or WELL below freezing. Not had a problem so far. And get the benefit of low temps, 30c in summer or well below in winter. Essentially you can get a cheap phase change system you just have to use the same safeguards for condensation.

But I would go watercooling and the radiator outside I will do that this winter and let you know :)

Um you want pics? I can give you the pics of my case, and the mods needed to hang it out the window... (think Lan "backpack" strap and re-inforced handles) But I dont live in the house that had the modded window. Lemme draw a paint diagram instead?

what i do during the colder seasons is take a fan and open my window put the fan in the window then turn it on High so all the coldness blows in to the room. last winter i did this and my temps idling were 2-5c

Okay. I have an update from some car-smart friends. They suggest I use an old cold-air-intake from a car, because they're high-speed filters that remove moisture and debris as air passes through them. If my parents will let me actually make the wall-hole, I might go ahead with this.

So why punch a hole in the wall. Just make an adaptor, the width of the window, that you can put at the bottom of the window. The window will be up maybe 6", with an insulated adaptor in the bottom of the window frame......and if you're worried about someone opening the window and getting in the house, just cut a 2x4 to wedge up above the opened window half to keep it from being opened any more! :)

Also, if you don't want to mess around with watercooling, you could always do an air to air heat exchanger. Circulate air from outside, to a cooler, and back outside. When it passes thru the cooler, it cools a seperate air cooling system flow that actually goes to your case. If you're worried about the condensation, the intermediary cooler should take care of that problem, by allowing you to catch most of it there. Granted, you won't have as big an effect as directly passing outside air to your case, but it'll be better than the heated air inside the house, right? :cool:

Yeah, I'm thinking of how I can build a sealed window-adapter that'd let me pull the outside air into my computer without letting air into the house too much. It'd have to be sealed, but it could work. Also, I need some advice on what kind of ducts I should use, and how many fans would be needed to pull air all the way through the tubes.

Back