Project 8900 moved to advanced

8900 is fun
2fwgIgJ.jpg

Hey - I'm a bit new to this. I was actually processing 8900s in beta.. what's it mean to have moved to advanced? Do I need to change anything?

Zink, how do you keep three 7970's cool? I'm having issues with two side-by-side.

Hey - I'm a bit new to this. I was actually processing 8900s in beta.. what's it mean to have moved to advanced? Do I need to change anything?

You shouldn't have to. I think they're going to keep P8900 in both Advanced and Beta circulation for quite a while unfortunately since P8900 is the only listed ZETA (Beta flag) WU available right now. I remember them saying something about it being moved last week which didn't happen, but that it doesn't really make sense since most people are running the Beta flag since Core_17 got opened up publicly.

Was kind of hoping for another Beta WU since these ones take so long to complete and I've had some stability issues only with these units. Under control now but every now and then at least once or twice a week it corrupts and that's a huge hit.

Ya, I discovered the hard way that moving your client from beta to advanced might still get you those 8900's but it also opens you up to all of the other advanced units as well. I switched all my clients back to beta once I noticed one of my GPUs picked up a unit that wasn't an 8900.

Zink, how do you keep three 7970's cool? I'm having issues with two side-by-side.
I have them on a motherboard that allows for an empty space between each card in an Antec Eleven Hundred. I don't have any video output from the cards (remote in with VNC) so I have two 120x38 mm 3000rpm server fans tied over the exhausts pulling air through as well as more 120mm fans blowing in from the front of the case and side panel.
Even with this cooling setup I wasn't happy with the the temperatures mining Litecoin, I think it was just under 90C with all fans at 100%. The cards run much cooler while folding, the fans are on auto now and are at 75%. I could probably remove some of the case fans to save a bit of power and cut down on noise.

Back