[Project] 64-bits Linux dedicated folding setup guide

Xilikon

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2008
From a thread asking what is the most efficient distribution for running a dedicated folding box, I thought it would be a good idea to write a nice and easy guide to setup a dedicated 64 bits SMP folding setup. The main reason to do this is the lack of a customized linux CD like Foldix for the 64 bits version.

There are three parts to the guide :

-What is the best linux 64 bits distribution to get, how to get it and how to install it.
-How to configure to remove unneeded services to avoid wasting cycles.
-How to install the folding SMP client.

There should be 2 versions of the first part : One for a box you will use daily (browsing, working, ripping stuff, etc...) with a GUI and another for a headless box with a small parenthesis for the ability to run server tasks (Samba, firewall, etc...) if needed.

Please give feedback and ideas so we can build a nice guide, easy for the newcomers to follow and powerful enough for veterans to tweak optimally.

Installing the SMP client guide :

First, this guide can be used either in a Linux setup without a gui and a bash prompt or in a gui, with the terminal window open to get the bash prompt.

1- Create a new folder to place the downloaded files. It's a good idea to create this under your home folder (Example : /home/xilikon/foldingathome/). The command to do this would be usually :

cd /
cd home
cd "username" (username = your username used on login, do a ls command to find if you know).
mkdir foldingathome
cd foldingathome

2- Make sure you get the ia32-libs installed before :

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs and give the root password if needed

3- While in the newly created folder, download the finstall script with this command :

I don't recommend using a browser to get this file as it could mess with the formatting or be saved with the wrong file format.

4- Make the script executable :

chmod +x finstall

5- Run it with the proper flag to indicate it's a SMP client we want to install :

./finstall smp

Alternatively, if you want to run the regular client instead, just remove the smp flag.

6- Follow the instructions and answer the questions, including the client configuration (username, team number, etc...).

7- When the client installation is done, the next thing is to install it as a service so it will automatically run it at startup :

./installService

Normally, if everything go right, it will install the needed files in the /etc/init.d folder, which is a folder dedicated to start the needed services on boot time.

8- Reboot the computer and check if it is running properly :

• open the terminal window
  • type top to bring the processes watch
  • check if you see 4 instances of FAH (file name to come) running.

Normally, if you did the steps properly, everything should work fine.

the original topic for finstall is in http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic2283.html with update notes.

This is a really silly question I feel. In the different linux version what are the ways to get to the terminal and bash prompts. Last time I had a live cd in I couldn't figure it out. I'd probably install under Ubuntu.

edit: thanks Xilikon, I figured with linux often requiring terminal commands it'd be easier to get to.

This is a really silly question I feel. In the different linux version what are the ways to get to the terminal and bash prompts. Last time I had a live cd in I couldn't figure it out. I'd probably install under Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu 64 bits, it's under Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal :)

For other distributions, I don't know exactly but it's usually with the Terminal name or Term.

I know nothing about Linux but have 4 boxes running Suse 10.2 64 bit. Used finstall smp,
copy and paste is your friend for commands. ;)

Anxiously awaiting this part:

:)

Don't worry, this will be up soon... I need to do some research as I never did this and to avoid blatant plagiarism. However, it's straightforward to do but tricky to determine which services deserve the axe.

I know nothing about Linux but have 4 boxes running Suse 10.2 64 bit. Used finstall smp,
copy and paste is your friend for commands. ;)

I'm using the same OS on several boxen, but samba+firewall or something is giving me a hassle. I just need to get Suse10.2 to let WinXP see my shared SMP folder so I can use FAHmon to monitor my SMP clients... Have you done this ? If so , did you have to jump any hurdles to get it working ?

I'm using the same OS on several boxen, but samba+firewall or something is giving me a hassle. I just need to get Suse10.2 to let WinXP see my shared SMP folder so I can use FAHmon to monitor my SMP clients... Have you done this ? If so , did you have to jump any hurdles to get it working ?

No yet but I already thought about this and will try when I buy a E6420. With the E4300 moved, I will rebuild the box as a File/media server but with some flavour of Linux. For the sharing duties, I'll use Samba.

I will admit that I'm a linux n00b so while I'm writing this guide, I'm also experimenting things as well. I also hope some knowledgeable guys will chime their own experience to make the guide very good for most purposes.

There is another way to do this that I opted for after pulling my hair out trying to get folders shared in a windows environment. I have a cronjob that fires off a script that ftp's the log file into a folder on my work pc. I made multiple folders one named for each linux box I have and then set up the script and cron job on each pc. I use FahSpy and just point it at each folder. Works great. I'm not any sort of expert at unix scripting and the script was written in SUSE and then used in Ubuntu and there was some oddness there between bash and ksh but it is working.

Back