Progressively longer Windows Startup Times

AndoOKC1

Gawd
Basically, its taking longer and longer each time for windows to load despite the fact that im not updating or adding programs or chaning settings. Im defragging frequently. How do i make sure my fast windows times stay fast or make them faster?

Barring a bad hard drive:

1) Check for spyware.
2) Check for viruses.
3) Check for TSR applications
4) Make sure your drivers are all installed correctly.
5) Clean up temp files using cleanmgr
6) Use MSCONFIG to remove any unnecessary items from your startup.
7) Get a better defrag utility. :D

Best of luck!

TSRs? On Win32?

How much slower are the times? What's the rate of increase? I'd be interested in seeing hard numbers.

what are better defrag utilities....i reformatted yesterday so im back at really quick load times...i think the major overclocking I tried really messd things up...also does anyone know of a program that I can copy my entire hard drive (i have only 6gb loaded) onto either one Dual Layer DVD disk or two single layer DVD discs and use this kinda like a system restore disk...b/c the way I have it now is exactly how I want it to stay always. Any software recommendations?

Nero comes with a full-drive backup image program. I haven't used it, tho.

AndoOKC1 said:
what are better defrag utilities..

Some of the third party defrag tools have advanced features such as scheduling and also defragment the MFT and paging file besides working faster as well.

No interest in actually measuring it, huh? There's not much point in worrying about perf if you're not going to measure.

Another thing that has helped me speed up my Windows load time is deleting everything in the Windows Prefetch folder. I've noticed that when there are a lot of files in that folder it starts up pretty slow and after deleting all of those files it's back to it's fast startup time.

Just look in the windows folder for a folder named prefetch.

go to www.softpedia.com

search for a program called BootVis

Load the program, select tracing, select optimize windows.

Reboot computer and LEAVE THE COMPUTER ALONE UNTIL OPTIMIZATIONS ARE COMPLETE UPON REBOOT!!! (very important step, don't even move your mouse :p )

mikeblas said:
Isn't this the tool that Microsoft used to have on its website? It was pulled and I don't think it's supported any longer.

Most importantly, it doesn't help end-users improve boot time. See the bootvis page at Microsoft.com.

Hrmmm I don't know about if the program is still supported. But it sure helped my boot time. As the matter of fact, there was thread couple of weeks ago about bootime and almost everyone member unanimously suggested BootVis

Zidoas said:
Hrmmm I don't know about if the program is still supported.

It isn't supported for end users.

Please read the page; it explains what you observed.

mikeblas said:
It isn't supported for end users.

Please read the page; it explains what you observed.

Ahh very interesting. Well regardless, my bootime did increase with BootVis
:) YMMV ofcourse .

Zidoas said:
Ahh very interesting. Well regardless, my bootime did increase with BootVis
That's too bad. Perhaps if you use a system restore point, you can get it faster again.

Back