Programming/Touch Typist Keyboard

slayer9019

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently looking for a very very good programming keyboard (I say this because I need a keyboard for ALOT of typing).

I am currently using a generic membrane style keyboard (no rollover) and am looking to replace it with a mechanical keyboard.

I was currently looking at:

Cherry (all their keyboards)
EliteKeyboards Happy Hacking Pro (really expensive)
Das Keyboard

thoughts?

Why the HHKB and not a nice Filco for half the price? Sounds like a board with Cherry blue switches is right up your alley, either Filco or Das or Rosewill RK-9000 (Newegg's house brand, same OEM manufacturer as Filco, I've heard mention that they might not be as consistent as Filco?) If you don't want a click, get a board with Cherry brown switches, Filco and Das have these. Cherry's own branded keyboards probably aren't the best option, their part numbers are quite cryptic and they're not as available over here in favourable configurations as they could be.

Filco all the way. I have one with Cherry browns and use it over my Das most of the time because the noise of the Das keeps everyone awake at night. :eek: Sure is satisfying to type on, though!

The HHKB layout is excellent for programming/typing IMO. It has pretty much the full functionality of a normal layout, but you don't have to leave home row to get to the keys.

So I only checked a couple of the keyboards posted so far but it doesn't look like anyone has recommended ergonomic keyboards like the advantage kinesis:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAA#

I have one of these and they (this design) are BY FAR the most comfortable, natural keyboards to type on.

I know a few people with carpal tunnel who use these because they are so much better on the wrists that normal keyboards which cramp the hands/fingers together in weird ways.

I would probably go with filco with blue switches. If you are a student then das gives additional discounts which may make their options more enticing. GL

Back