Programming Students. READ THIS!

KingKaeru

Supreme [H]ardness
First of all, I'd like to welcome all you students back to the academic year and wish you all the best of luck in your studies! :)

If you haven't yet, MikeBlas's An Essay For Programming Students is a good read.

Another good read is the Book Recommendations Thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of the [H] Webmastering and Programming forum is to allow a friendly environment where the discussions of topics relating to these topics can be done in a productive manner.

Do NOT post your homework assignments here hoping that someone will do them for you.
Those doing so will be dealt with accordingly. You have been warned.

Programming can be a very fustrating; it is especially fustrating when you first start. Work through your problem. Break it down into sizable chunks and experiment with various solutions. When you hit a wall, continue working on it to find out what specific part of the solution isnt being designed correctly. Being able to maintain one's composure while stuck on a particular problem is one of the most important skills programmers have.

You may post questions regarding specific questions about your problem or talk about the problem and different solutions. The requirement however, is that you also post the "legwork". Give PROOF in the way of both code and psudocode showing that you understand the question and have put actual effort into the problem. The purpose of the thread should be to HELP you get to the answer and not GIVE you the answer. All other threads will be locked.

Here's an example of what is unacceptable:

Example of an inappropriate thread:
HELP ME I AM STUCK WITH MY HOMEWORK. HERE IS THE QUESSTION IT IS DUE IN 1 HR SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THE ANSWER. IT IS TOO HARD. I AM STUCK.

Here's the assignment: Write a program that will find the sum of 1 and 2.

Thanks,
--ignorantN00b

Please dont be an ignorantN00b.

For everyone else. Please do not do homework for the students.

--KK

Last edited:
Summer vacation

If there's enough demand to bring it back or when "class starts" again and we start to see more problem threads, it'll be restuck or reposted :).

--KK

C1utCh said:
you're early by about a month for a lot of schools by the way.
I think most universities are out by mid-may and that's probably who this message was directed to. I know my friends and I are all out by now.

Alot of schools have there CSE Ta's search known forums for students posting project and lab help also. so you guys will most likely be caught.

Apologies if it was my post that lead to this (didn't realize such a simple thing would be the key to an assignment). I'll pay closer attention and give hints in the future as opposed to the 2 liner that solves the issue. I edited my post to fix it up a bit. Thx to the anonymous member who PM'd me to let me know I was potentially solving someone's assignment.

amromousa said:
Apologies if it was my post that lead to this (didn't realize such a simple thing would be the key to an assignment). I'll pay closer attention and give hints in the future as opposed to the 2 liner that solves the issue. I edited my post to fix it up a bit. Thx to the anonymous member who PM'd me to let me know I was potentially solving someone's assignment.

Considering you joined the forums a little over a year after this post was made it's probably safe to assume you are not to blame ;)

It's good to pay attention to the rule though. The threads in question don't get posted like they used to.

Tweakin said:
Considering you joined the forums a little over a year after this post was made it's probably safe to assume you are not to blame ;)

It's good to pay attention to the rule though. The threads in question don't get posted like they used to.

Ack, touché. LOL. My powers of observation seem to be nonexistent today.

That's one hell of a record breakingly cynical post. Pretty sure I've seen in quite a few places recently that CS majors are currently in demand.

Back