Program used to test OCing Stability

Pivo504

2[H]4U
What program do you guys use? This is my first intel build. I was using Intel Burn Test v2.50 did max stress level, threads 4 run time 5 and cpu is 2.67 @ 3.8ghz.

Most ppl use LinX (run 20 passes), Intel Burn Test (20 passes as well), or Prime95 (I do blend - 6+ hours). To me, running a stability test for only 5 runs doesn't stress the CPU enough to see if it is truly stable or not. Also, you want to keep a close watch on your load temps (stay below 85C) and within 1.35V.

Thanx for the reply camui. What settings do I need to change when OCing? Just change the BLCK? This is my first INTEL setup. Ill try Prime95 BTW I notice when opening folders or websites I get a strange lag. Things should be almost instant at near 4ghz quad core...what might be wrong?

If you run Sandy Bridge CPU then remember to use LinX or IBT WITH AVX pack to fully push it to the true limit.

Thanx for the reply camui. What settings do I need to change when OCing? Just change the BLCK? This is my first INTEL setup. Ill try Prime95 BTW I notice when opening folders or websites I get a strange lag. Things should be almost instant at near 4ghz quad core...what might be wrong?

I feel like we need a little more info on your system to be able to give some useful help. Right now I'm not even really sure what cpu you're on.

I have a quadcore INtel I5 [email protected] w/after market heatsink/fan, Gigabyte GA P55A UD3, Gskill 2gb X2, win home prem 7, evga GTX 465. I have regular sata hdd7200rpm, Not sure what SandyBridge is...Running Prime95 blend. So far passed everything for 2hrs with highest temp at 72.

it depends.. on 1155 prime 95 blend has a nack for finding unstable overclocks.. linX with updated linpacks with sp1 (updated instruction set) will also yeild an unstable overclock pretty quickly.

I use folding. I have had cpu's pass days on prime 95 but 4 hours with folding will produce a bsod.

Ran Prime 95 for over 14hrs Blend test. No fails. Are there any other tweaks I can do to speed up my PC outside of changing the BLCK? What do yall think might be wrong when opening folders or websites I get a strange lag. Things should be almost instant at near 4ghz quad core...what might be wrong?

Ran Prime 95 for over 14hrs Blend test. No fails. Are there any other tweaks I can do to speed up my PC outside of changing the BLCK? What do yall think might be wrong when opening folders or websites I get a strange lag. Things should be almost instant at near 4ghz quad core...what might be wrong?

Well... you do still have a mechanical hard drive.

What kind of lag are we talking about? Is the lag always there? Is the lag only there after not using your computer for 15min or more? Does the entire system seem to pause during this lag or just the active window you're trying to click in?

How long is the lag? 1/2 second? 2 seconds?

Is this a completely fresh install of windows 7? Or have you had this install for more than 3 months now? What other software have you installed? Just drivers? anything else?

Yes it seems to always be there. I mostly notice it when browsing the internet. Its usually a 1-3 second delay. The entire system seems to pause. I thought it might be a virus/malware so I reformatted with a fresh win7 but its still there. I have just drivers installed for now.

Yes it seems to always be there. I mostly notice it when browsing the internet. Its usually a 1-3 second delay. The entire system seems to pause. I thought it might be a virus/malware so I reformatted with a fresh win7 but its still there. I have just drivers installed for now.

that is strange. Does the mouse lock up too? Or everything except the mouse? (can't click on start menu, browser doesn't respond, can't select any files...)
Can you pull up the performance tab in task manager and try creating the pause? Does CPU usage go to 100% percent? What if you click the performance monitor, what does the HD usage show when you create the pause?

This is what happens. Ill be opening up another webpage and then go to press on another tab to view another webpage and it will lag before the tab opens. CPU usage shows 22%

I use Prime95 and LinX. Prime 24 hours (usually test all 3 modes 8 to 24 hours each) and LinX about 8 or so.

I use IBT usually to quickly check for instability. Then I have found that the only true test is to see if I'm folding@home stable. It kinda sucks when I am trying to push an overclock since I run the risk of losing work units, but it's the only program I've found which shows 100% stability.

Prime 95 just seems to not put the stress I remember. Linx is usually a good choice, and folding definitely stresses well.

I'm not sure why people are still recommending different stress tests.... you don't appear to have a stability problem.
This is what happens. Ill be opening up another webpage and then go to press on another tab to view another webpage and it will lag before the tab opens. CPU usage shows 22%
Have you tried different browsers? Does this happen regardless what page you are loading?

Serp. I was on the comp yesterday and it started doing the freeze thing but reallly bad this time. Like I couldnt even do anything on the comp. My mouse pointer kept showing the loading animation. I did happen to get task manager open & I saw that my memory sky rocketed to 3.44gb or 84%...Normally its at 1.90 or 46%...Does this help any?

If you run Sandy Bridge CPU then remember to use LinX or IBT WITH AVX pack to fully push it to the true limit.

Actually Prime Blend does a better job of testing Sandybridge stability. Heat isn't everything. I had prime blend fail about an hour in on an overclock that was 100% Linx AVX stable. I've seen quite a few people report the same thing.

Don't get me wrong Linx is great for quick stress testing. I like to use it to get me into the ball park but it doesn't replace prime.

Serp. I was on the comp yesterday and it started doing the freeze thing but reallly bad this time. Like I couldnt even do anything on the comp. My mouse pointer kept showing the loading animation. I did happen to get task manager open & I saw that my memory sky rocketed to 3.44gb or 84%...Normally its at 1.90 or 46%...Does this help any?

What is the Vccio set to? Is this a fresh install of windows?

Last edited:
if it happens again, go back to the process tab and click "show processes from all users" at the bottom of task manager. Once you've done that, try to find which specific process is gobbling up the most memory

What is a good benchmarking utility to use to compare different OCs?

I'm trying to figure out if just a multiplier OC on a pII x6 1090T is better than a CPU frequency(FSB) OC

I've used the ASUS Turbo V utility to do an auto OC and that will only increase the cpu frequency. It will give me a 250mhz X 15.5mutliplier OC (I know this method also increases memory and HT/CP NB clocks also)

run prime in large it will stress your oc to the max and you would be suprised by the results somtimes the blend with pass but when very intensive operations are running boom then its game over :(

Back