program that will burn a .mov file to dvd?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking for a program (free) that will burn a .mov file as a video dvd. I've been searching but most of them don't really seem to work. They come up with the video_ts folders and expect me to have the dvd data already made.

Is there a program out there that will do it?

If you have Vista or 7 Home Premium, it includes a built in DVD Maker. If you can watch the movie as it is now, the OS has the correct codecs (7 is not completely compatible with all video codecs used in .mov containers). If not, instal QT Lite or convert it to AVI using the numerous freewares.

If it is 16:9, you may need to load it into Movie Maker, hit the 16:9 option and reencode it, to true it up, so that it burns right in DVD Maker. It could come out shushed.

I can play it fine in VLC so I have the codec. Running XP, just need a program (like Nero, but free) that will burn it to DVD. In this particular case I don't really care about menus or anything. This is at work, at home I just use Nero for this.

VLC doesn't use codecs though, so you might not actually have the codec. :)

Err, what do you plan on doing with it? Playing it on another PC, or playing it on a DVD player?

If the former, ImgBurn's "Write files/folders to disc" option will work. Hell, you can probably just drag it to your disc drive and let XP burn it, though I'm not sure on that one.

If the latter, the above will work if your DVD player supports the codec. If it doesn't, you'll have to convert the .mov to .vob. A google search should give a bunch of freeware programs for that.

I need it to play on a dvd player. Basically I'm looking for a program that will burn it in dvd format and create the .vob files and all that stuff so that it works in a dvd player. Or can I actually just convert to .vob with a program and burn that file directly as data? I always figured it had to be written in a specific way by a program.

I'm not aware of a free program that will convert it and burn it. But, you can convert it using whatever, then use that ImgBurn option. After you add all of the converted files, it should prompt you and ask if you want to make a DVD Video disc. Hit yes.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up turning out they just wanted it as a digital file, but since .mov is very sketchy and wont work on all PCs I used FFmpeg to convert to AVI and was good to go. That app saves me all the time.

Back