Program Impeding Installation of SP2....

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing SP2 on my LEGAL HP machine. I use kill it all to stop all running proccesses and then I use Codestuff Started to kill everything else that seems to be non vital. Then I go to install SP2 off of the cd I got them and then about half way into the installation it says something to the effect that C:....\drvmain.sbd is being used by another program, please close it. And I can't figure out what else would need to be closed! I've installed off of this disk to this computer before and it has worked, but my sis got somekind of virus and i needed to reinstall the OS and now it won't work. How can I find out that program is using drvmain.sdb and does anyone have a list of vital XP proccesses that can't be closed? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks
-Matt

Sounds like you've been had by the driver protection feature in SP2. The easiest way to get around the feature is to make a copy of the driver, delete it and install SP2 and then reinstall the driver. You might want to take a look at the Microsoft SP2 Installation guide to track it down even further.

Back