profile lost????

xdviper

Gawd
whenever i restart my computer...and after i type in my password and press enter this message comes up
"Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted. Contact your administrator"
and then it also says
Windows did not find your local profile, it will log into a temp profile, all changes will be lost when you log off"..

why is this happening??
i dont want to lose my stuff??????

There are many reasons as to why this could have happend, overclocking, bad shutdown etc.

I need to know how you are logging into your system.:
-when you turn your computer on and boot do you go right to the desktop (as the administrator) or do you login as and account you have created?

If you are logging into an account you have created you have a good chance at recovering your files etc. without a problem.

Here's what you do:
1. Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 durring the boot proccess (right after the post and right before the windows XP boot screen comes up, you may want to tap the key

2. Now select the administrator account (probably won't have a password on it unless you created one, in which case put that password in now and login).

3. Now open up windows explorer and navigate to the documents and settings folder.

4. Right click on the username that corresponds to the user profile that is corrupted and select copy.

5. Navigate to the root of your c:\ drive and Create a folder called backup, go into the folder and select paste. The user account folder should now appear in that folder.

6. Now go to control panel ->user accounts-> and select the account that is corrupted, then select delete account.

6. Now click create a new account and create a new account.

7. Reboot

8. Login with the new account you just created.

9. Now you can navigate to c:\backup\username and pick through the stuff you need to keep. If you need to keep things in the my documents folder for example, just select them, copy and then paste them into your new my documents folder.

I hope that wasn't too confusing and I hope it works for you.

Have you perhaps restored from a backup because of some other problem...I am thinking along the lines of some settings were restored, but files they point to are missing... :mad:

Back